This simple 3-ingredient frozen watermelon margarita recipe can be prepared classically with tequila or with rum (as a mojito) or as a non-alcoholic cocktail like a slush lemonade. The beverage is refreshing, fruity, tasty, and reminds of slushie ice, making it to the perfect drink for the summer!
What is your favorite fruit on warm days? Well, mine is definitely watermelon! I think there is almost no day in summer when I don’t enjoy chilled watermelon! Usually, I buy a whole melon, because I can eat it myself within a few days anyway. But if I’m not that fast, I simply freeze it in cubes to make slush ice or a frozen watermelon margarita cocktail!
Honestly, I don’t drink alcohol at all, but for a refreshing cocktail in summer I’m always in! Somehow I always associate cocktails with sun, beach, and holidays, but they also remind me of the funny times when I was working as a waitress in a bar or restaurant. I always had a lot of fun doing that job and honestly, I sometimes miss the time with all the people around me.
I really enjoyed walking around the restaurant with trays and distribute the drinks and food. But when there was a lot going on, I often worked behind the bar counter. Of course, this also had its advantages because this way I could learn how to make any cocktails that everyone loves!
The most popular cocktails
The most popular top 7 cocktails that were ordered most often were:
- Sex on the beach
- Tequila Sunrise
- Cuba Libre
- Pina Colada
Of course, there were many more popular cocktails like Long Island Iced Tea, Daiquiri, Mai Tai, Swimming Pool, Zombie, etc. – The list is endless! Anyway, I am sure that the Margarita would have made it to number 1 if we had also offered it with frozen watermelon.
While Sex on the Beach is prepared with Vodka, Caipirinha with Cachaça, and Tequila Sunrise as well as Margarita with Tequila as a base, the rest is mostly prepared with Rum and other spirits.
Frozen Watermelon Margarita with 3 ingredients
Some cocktails require a little more ingredients, others a little less, but for this super easy watermelon margarita you basically only need 3 ingredients. These are:
- Watermelon (diced and frozen)
- Lime juice
Also some salt or sugar, lime, mint or jalapeño and ice cubes to garnish.
Tequila, rum, or non-alcoholic cocktail?
If you don’t like tequila so much, you could also make your watermelon cocktail with rum. Then you would have a watermelon mojito instead of a frozen watermelon margarita because mint and lime are part of both cocktails. For a non-alcoholic cocktail, you could also skip the alcohol altogether and use water or a fruit juice such as strawberry or orange juice instead.
How to make Watermelon Margarita
First cut the watermelon into cubes. Then put it in a large freezer bag and freeze it overnight. If you want to serve the cocktail “on the rocks” (unfrozen, only on ice), there’s no need to freeze the melon.
To make the salt or sugar rim, run a lime wedge around the rim of the glasses. Then dip the rims of the glasses in salt or sugar.
Now put the frozen watermelon cubes, tequila, and lime juice in a blender and mix into a slushie. Divide the ice cubes into the prepared glasses and pour the watermelon margarita on top. Garnish with lime and watermelon wedges as well as mint and optionally jalapeño for spiciness. Serve immediately and enjoy cold!
This watermelon margarita slush recipe is:
- Without cream (dairy-free)
- Quick and easy to make
- Can be made alcohol-free
- Perfect for birthdays, parties, occasions, or just as a fresh drink, lemonade, slushie in summer!
More vegan refreshing recipes for summer:
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
- Blackberry Mini Cheesecakes
- Raw Coconut Cheesecake (Vegan Raffaelo Cake)
- No-Bake Mango Cheesecake Pie
- No-Bake Blackberry Mousse Tart
- Vegan Vanilla Custard Tart
- Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Summer Fruit Cream Tart
- Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
- Vegan Panna Cotta Tart with Jelly
- Coconut Rice Pudding Cake
- Blueberry Chia Pudding Cake
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
If you have tried this watermelon margarita or would like to see more drink recipes, please leave a comment and rating. And if you take a picture of your slush cocktail and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka, because I love to see your pictures! Cheers! 🥂
Watermelon Margarita (Frozen Slush Cocktail)Author:
- 26,5 oz watermelon diced and frozen, optional
- ½ cup tequila *see notes
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 handful of ice cubes for serving
- salt or sugar
- *Note: Watch the recipe video for visual instruction.
- Cut the watermelon into cubes, then place in a large freezer bag and freeze overnight as shown in the recipe video (optional, *see notes).
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of four glasses. Then dip the rims of the glasses in salt or sugar.
- Place the frozen watermelon cubes, tequila, and lime juice in a blender and blend into a slushie. (Feel free to add a bit of agave syrup or sugar if you want it sweeter).
- Divide the ice cubes into the prepared glasses and pour in the watermelon margarita. Garnish with lime and watermelon wedges as well as mint and serve immediately!
- If you want to serve the cocktail "on the rocks" (unfrozen, only on ice), you can skip the freezing of the watermelon.
- Instead of tequila, you can also use rum to prepare a watermelon mojito. For a non-alcoholic alternative, you can skip the alcohol and use water or a fruit juice like strawberry or orange juice instead.
- For a little spiciness, you can add a few slices of jalapeño into the glasses.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.