This vegan sweet potato pasta sauce is a great way to get the creaminess of a classic alfredo sauce but in a lighter and vegan cheese sauce! The recipe is easy to make, dairy-free, gluten-free, and so healthy!
This easy and creamy pasta sauce tastes absolutely delicious you guys! It’s only made with sweet potatoes, cashews (coconut cream will do too), and some spices. That’s it! Actually, it’s the result of combining my favorite vegan cheese sauce recipes – Vegan Mac and Cheese, Pumpkin Mac and Cheese and my Vegan Alfredo Pasta sauce.
Also, I opted to use sweet potatoes instead of using regular potatoes. Not only because I still had some left over from the Sweet Potato Gnocchi I made a while ago, but also because they have such a soft texture and such a delicious flavor with a delightful sweetness. And the best is, they’ll make your pasta sauce super creamy and yummy!
A creamy vegan sweet potato pasta sauce
If you’ve never tried to make a creamy sauce from sweet potatoes, it’s definitely time to give it a try. I‘m pretty sure you’ll love it! Not only the taste and creaminess are amazing but you’ll also love the simplicity. You only need 3 simple basic ingredients and the rest is up to you! Feel free to add any add-ins and seasonings you like. I also like to add other veggies, such as pumpkin or squash, cauliflower, regular potatoes, carrots, etc. So just get creative and use whatever you have on hand.
It’s so easy & quick to make
To make this vegan sweet potato pasta sauce, start with cooking the cashews and sweet potato until soft. You can also microwave your potato. Simply pierce the potato several times with a fork, then put it in the microwave and heat for about 7-10 minutes until fork-tender. However, if you’re not short on time, I recommend baking your sweet potato because it gets more flavorful when it’s oven roasted.
To save time I usually roast it ahead, for example in the morning or the day before, so it’s ready to use when I want to make the sauce. After baking the sweet potato you can start making the sauce immediately. Peel the sweet potato, add to a blender along with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a blender, you can also use a simple immersion blender. But please take note that the stronger your blender is, the creamier the sauce gets. Anyways, I always use a high-speed blender, and I assure you that it makes the best and creamiest sauces, soups, smoothies, ice cream, etc. ever!
Use coconut cream instead of Cashews
The classic vegan Alfredo sauce and vegan Mac and cheese sauce are usually made with cashew nuts but here are no cashews required. I personally like it more when it’s made with cashews. However, you can also substitute with coconut cream which makes the sauce creamy and delicious as well. Actually, coconut cream is the solid part of coconut milk that you get after chilling a can of coconut milk untouched for at least 24 hours. But if you don’t have it on hand or don’t like the coconut flavor that much, you can, of course, also use any other plant-based cream you like.
This creamy vegan sweet potato pasta sauce is:
- Easy and quick to make
- So Delicious!
- Perfect for any kind of meals!
The perfect Vegan Cheese sauce
You can serve this sweet potato sauce with any kind of meal you like. It not only tastes delicious with pasta but also with rice or other grains. It also makes a great vegan cheese sauce for snacks, such as Burrito Samosas, Quesadillas, Wedges, French Fries, Empanadas and much more. To me, the taste and color remind of vegan nacho cheese sauce. So GOOD! Have fun trying this simple recipe and let me know if you liked it!
Vegan Sweet Potato Pasta Sauce (creamy, cheesy)Author:
- 1 (350 g) sweet potato approx. 12 oz
- ½ tbsp olive, canola or coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ cup (75 g) cashews or cashew butter or sub coconut cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) water or to desired consistency
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- ½ tsp sea salt or more to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- Peel and dice the sweet potato and place in a pot with the cashews. Cover with water and cook, covered, for about 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions in a pot of salted water and optionally cook the garlic mushrooms.
- While the pasta is boiling, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion, stir and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Add the onions and garlic to a blender along with the soft sweet potato, cashews, water, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Add more water and seasonings as needed.
- Pour the sauce into a large skillet or pan. Heat over medium heat while stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain, and combine with the sauce. Top with garlic mushrooms, fresh chopped herbs to garnish and vegan parmesan cheese if you like.
- You can fill the sauce into a sealed jar and store it in the fridge if you want to serve it later. It will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, or you can freeze for even longer.
- Please make sure to store leftover sauce apart from the pasta. Otherwise it gets sticky. It’s always best served with new cooked pasta.
- Read the text above for more information.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.