This is a simple recipe for wonderfully soft and fluffy vegan scrambled pancakes (Austrian Kaiserschmarrn) that is eggless, dairy-free and can be made gluten-free too! Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy for breakfast, as a dessert or sweet main course!
The best recipe for vegan scrambled pancakes
The Austrian cuisine offers a variety of culinary highlights, including the popular original Viennese Kaiserschmarrn aka scrambled pancakes! My vegan version of the popular classic Kaiserschmarrn recipe doesn’t require any eggs, dairy milk or butter, and is super easy to make in no time! Super soft and fluffy, this delicious dessert is a real comfort food that will definitely make you happy! 🙂
What are scrambled pancakes?
Scrambled pancakes are one of the most popular Austrian desserts. Just like regular pancakes, the batter is usually made with flour, milk, eggs and some sugar. Then the entire batter is cooked in a pan and divided into little pieces.
Actually, Kaiserschmarrn is basically just a simpler version of traditional pancakes because you only have to cook one large pancake instead of several small ones. So this recipe is perfect for everyone who loves pancakes but is looking for a quicker and easier way to make them!
If you want to serve a delicious and filling dessert for the whole family without much effort, this easy and versatile recipe is for you!
Recipe variations and serving suggestions
Scrambled pancakes are traditionally served with plum roaster (plum compote) or applesauce, however, it comes in many different variations. Whether with raisins, caramelized almonds, apricots, cherries, chocolate drops, raspberry sauce or even red jelly – you can serve it any way you like!
Ingredients for scrambled pancakes
To make vegan scrambled pancakes, you only need a few simple ingredients you may already have in your pantry. These are:
- Flour: You can use all-purpose, spelt or gluten-free flour.
- Baking powder and soda: these will make the scrambled pancakes super fluffy!
- Salz: just a pinch for flavor.
- Vanilla: ground bourbon vanilla or vanilla extract. You can also add other flavors or spices like cinnamon.
- Sugar: use any type of sugar like raw cane sugar, coconut blossom sugar or both combined.
- Plant milk: e.g. almond, oat, rice, cashew or coconut milk. You can also replace some of the plant milk with mashed banana, applesauce, pumpkin puree, or dairy-free yogurt to make your scrambled pancakes moister.
- Neutral oil: e.g. canola oil or sunflower oil. If you want to use coconut oil or vegan butter, make sure to melt it in the microwave beforehand.
- Apple cider vinegar: oder white vinegar or lemon juice.
- To serve with (optional): vanilla pudding cream, strawberry sauce, strawberries, pomegranate seeds, sprinkles or any toppings you prefer.
Tip: If you don’t have any baking soda and vinegar or lemon juice, you can also replace 1/2 cup of plant milk with sparkling water! This will make your pancakes super fluffy too!
How to make vegan scrambled pancakes
As always, I recommend checking out the recipe video and these step-by-step instructions first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with the exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Make the pancake batter
First, sift the flour, baking powder and vanilla into a bowl. Then add baking soda, salt and sugar and whisk together. Now add the liquid ingredients and stir until just combined.
Step 2: Cook scrambled pancakes
Now heat the oil in a pan. Then pour half of the batter into the pan and cook over medium heat until the bottom is lightly browned and set. Now divide the pancake into quarters with a spatula. Flip the individual pieces carefully and cook from the other side until golden brown.
Tip: If necessary, you can cover the pan with a lid to help the batter to set.
Step 3: Serve your scrambled pancakes
Once your pancake is golden brown on both sides, divide it into bite-sized pieces. If you like it sweeter, sprinkle your scrambled pancakes with some sugar and let it caramelize for a while, or serve immediately with preferred toppings.
These vegan scrambled pancakes are:
- Vegan (eggless & dairy-free)
- Quick and easy to make
- Can be made gluten-free
- Soft and fluffy
- Perfect as a dessert, for breakfast or as a sweet main course
More vegan sweet breakfast recipes
- Chocolate Crêpes
- Apple Pie Roll-Ups
- Pancake Cereal
- Baked Oats
- Semolina Pudding
- Blueberry Scones
- Chocolate Pancakes
- Granola Bars
- Chocolate Granola
- Chocolate Brioche Buns
- Banana Bread
- Date Nut Bread
If you try this easy vegan scrambled pancakes recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your scrambled pancakes and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I would love to see your result! Enjoy this recipe!
Vegan Scrambled Pancakes (Kaiserschmarrn)Author:
For the batter
- 2 cups (250 g) flour all-purpose flour, spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch (1 knife tip) ground vanilla or 1 tsp vanille extract
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar e.g. raw cane sugar, coconut sugar or both combined
- 1 ½ cup (360 ml) plant milk e.g. soy, almond, oat, rice, cashew or coconut drink
- 3 tbsp (40 ml) neutral oil e.g. canola or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or 2 tbsp lemon juice
To serve (of choice)
- vanilla pudding mousse
- strawberry sauce
- pomgranate seeds
- sprinkles or powdered sugar
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step instructions above!
- Sift the flour, baking powder and vanilla into a bowl. Then add baking soda, salt and sugar and whisk together. Add the plant milk, oil and vinegar and stir briefly until it forms a smooth batter.
- Heat a little oil in a large non-stick pan. Pour half the batter into the pan and cook over medium heat until the bottom is golden browned and set (if needed, you can cover the pan with a lid to help the batter set).
- Then divide the pancake into quarters using a spatula. Carefully flip each piece and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Now divide the pancake quarters into bite-sized pieces and carefully flip several times until fully done (If you like it sweeter, sprinkle your scrambled pancakes with some sugar and let it caramelize for a while). Remove from the pan and cook the remaining batter in the same way.
- Feel free to fold raisins or chocolate chips into the batter.
- If you don't have baking soda and vinegar or lemon juice, you can sub ½ cup plant milk with sparkling water! This will make the pancakes fluffy too.
- For moister scrambled pancakes you can sub ½ of plant milk with a ripe large mashed banana or ½ cup of applesauce, pumpking puree or dairy-free yoghurt.
- Check out my blog post above to see the video, step-by-step photos as well as more serving suggestions and helpful information.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.