This Best Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup is an easy one-pot recipe made with only 5-ingredients in under 30-minutes! The dairy-free soup is simple, healthy, delicious and perfect as a quick and satisfying appetizer, side or main dish for lunch or dinner!
Vegan Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Nothing’s more comforting than a warm bowl of creamy hearty potato leek soup on a cozy fall or winter day. I’m a big soup lover and soup is definitely my go-to meal when it’s getting colder outside. It’s easy to make, healthy, satisfying and delicious!
This vegan potato leek soup recipe requires just 5 simple ingredients that are cheap (inexpensive) and easy to find. It is basically made of fresh vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, leek, garlic, and herbs – That’s all! There’s no cream or any dairy ingredients needed. Just blend the veggies to make it thick and creamy.
How to clean and cut leeks
Leeks are delicious, versatile and healthy, but you must clean them properly to get all the dirt out. Here’s how to clean and cut leek the easy way to prepare for soup.
Start by chopping off the bottom root of a sharp knife. Next, cut the leeks lengthwise. Peel away the more fibrous, tough outer leaves and chop off the dark green leaves of the top.
You can actually chop the remaining leek that you use for the potato soup before washing. Then place the chopped pieces into a bowl of cool water. Use your hands to agitate the leeks to remove any dirt or sand. Then scoop the leeks out and transfer to a colander to drain and dry.
How to make potato leek soup
To make this soup, cook chopped leeks in a little olive oil or vegan butter. Next, add diced potatoes, chopped carrots, vegetable broth, and herbs. Bring it all to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are done, about 20 minutes. Finally, purée the soup using an immersion stick blender or standing blender until creamy.
The potatoes will produce a creamy texture, especially when using Yukon gold. That’s also a reason why I love using them to make vegan cheese sauce! So you don’t need adding cream but feel free to add a bit of coconut milk or another non-dairy milk to make the soup richer. And if you would like your soup to be a little chunky, you can blend just half of it.
This creamy potato leek soup recipe is
- Vegan (dairy-free)
- Gluten-free (if serving with gluten-free bread)
- Loaded with vegetables
- Quick & easy to make
- So delicious!
- The ultimate comfort food!
What to serve with potato leek soup
Think of this potato soup as you would enjoy a potato dish. So you can basically add anything that is delicious with potatoes like cashew cream or another herby vegan dip. You can also prepare some oven-roasted crispy chickpeas or crispy bread as a crunchy topping. However, I bet that crispy sesame tofu chunks or cauliflower nuggets would make a very delicious topping, too!
Since I love potatoes with dairy-free cheese, but soup with crusty bread, I made small vegan grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping. So it combines both into one delicious side snack! But next time I would like to serve the potato leek soup with homemade vegan naan and garlic butter or Indian stuffed flatbreads “Aloo Paratha“.
How to store and reheat potato leek soup
Leftovers will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. Simply reheat on the stove or the microwave to serve as a starter, side or main dish for lunch or dinner. It makes also a great meal prep for a busy week!
Can I freeze this soup?
You can easily freeze this soup for up to 3 months. I recommend puréeing the soup until it’s completely smooth if you want to freeze it, as any chunks of potatoes in the soup often have a grainy texture once defrosted. When ready to serve, defrost overnight in the fridge. Then heat it up the stovetop and serve with fresh thyme or parsley!
Looking for more easy vegan creamy soup recipes to try? Make sure to check out the following
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Yellow Lentil Dal
- Thai Peanut Ramen Noodle Soup
- Mushroom and Rice Soup
If you do try this Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup Recipe, I would love to read your feedback in the comments below. And if you take a photo of your cozy soup and share it on Instagram, please don’t forget to tag me @biancazapatka to make sure I won’t miss your post. Enjoy!
Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Potato Leek Soup
- Prepare the leeks as shown in the step-by-step photos above. Cut off the bottom root with a sharp knife, then cut the leeks lengthwise. Remove the tough outer leaves and chop off the dark green leaves of the top.
- Chop the remaining leek and place it in a bowl of cool water. Use your hands to remove any dirt. Scoop the leeks out and transfer to a colander to drain and dry.
Make the Potato Leek Soup
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté, stirring frequently, until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer on low until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Purée the soup using an immersion stick blender until smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, use a regular blender to blend the soup in batches).
- Return pot to the heat and allow to warm through.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Please read my blog post for further information about this recipe.
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.