These cheesy vegan potato cakes are quick and very easy to make! It makes a simple and tasty side dish, dinner or lunch, and it’s the best way to use up leftover potatoes!
What would you say about some delicious potato cakes, that are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside? I think, it couldn’t get any better, especially when it’s loaded with cheese! These potato cakes are sort of like veggie and potato fritters, but they’re made from mashed potatoes and also contain a little vegan cheese, carrots, fresh herbs and spices. That’s it! Super simple, healthy and SO GOOD!
Easy cheesy potato cakes make leftover potatoes into a delicious meal!
If you’re anything like me, I always seem to prepare some extra food for the next days, so I usually end up with leftovers. Either I freeze them or use them for other recipes, like these mashed potato cakes. Anyways, they’re so delicious that you‘ll definitely boil up some potatoes to make these yummy potato cakes, if you don’t already have any leftover potatoes. I‘m sure this recipe will become your new favorite, because everyone will love these tasty cheesy potato cakes, even your kids!
How to make easy vegan potato cakes
These crispy creamy and cheesy potato cakes can be made super fast. Actually, if you have any cooked potatoes left, they’re ready in only 15 minutes. You could also use leftover mashed potatoes, but please make sure that you didn’t add too much milk and butter. Otherwise you‘ll probably end up in adding too much flour. Then the potato cakes will get bland and floury.
Simply mash your potatoes, add a little vegan cheese, chopped herbs, a pinch of salt, ground pepper and nutmeg. Mix all the ingredients together, then form to cakes in your desired size. Coat each cake in some flour or bread crumbs and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
Add your favorite vegetables
These Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and full of flavor! You can really get creative with the seasonings and add ins in this easy recipe! Pretty much anything in your fridge will do. If you’re in the mood to modify this recipe, you could also stuff them with mushrooms or with spinach cream or with a creamy pumpkin filling. Anyways, they make a perfect light and hearty meal, and they’re a great way to use up any leftover Thanksgiving mashed potatoes.
I hope you’ll love these simple vegan potato cakes. They’re:
- Quick & Easy to make
- Crispy on the outside
- Creamy & Cheesy
- A great way to use up leftover potatoes
- So delicious!
Crispy baked leftover potato cakes
What I love about this recipe, is that it requires pan frying rather than deep frying and that’s much healthier. I would recommend serving these potato cakes immediately while they’re still hot, but I also like them when they’re cold. If you have any mashed potato cakes left, you could also reheat them in the oven. Just bake for 10-12 minutes at 350°F until warm and crispy. They’ll get a little more crispy rather than just pan-fried, but maybe you’ll like them even more that way.
If you like this recipe, you might also like my potato fritters with mushrooms and cashew cream cheese, vegan croquettes with spinach, or crispy baked smashed potatoes. Have fun trying this recipe and please let me know if you enjoyed them!
Vegan Potato Cakes (easy recipe)Author:
- 1 lbs potatoes * (500 g)
- 1 carrot (100 g) or more potatoes
- ⅓ cup all-purpose or rice flour 35 g
- 1-2 tbsp spring onion or chives chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- ⅓ cup shredded vegan cheese (40 g) optional
- 2 tbsp cooking oil for frying
- additional flour (or bread crumbs) optional for coating
- vegan parmesan cheese optional to garnish
- In a pot with water, cook the whole potatoes with their skin on and the carrot until tender, then drain and peel the potatoes. Place the peeled potatoes and carrot in a bowl and mash using a potato masher. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, add herbs, seasonings, flour, and vegan cheese (if using) and mix until just combined.
- Form 6-8 balls of dough (or make smaller cakes if you prefer). Roll each ball in additional flour (or bread crumbs), then gently flattening into patties.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil over medium heat.
- Fry each potato cake on one side for about 3-5 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Then flip and fry on the other side.
- This recipe works best with boiled whole potatoes, but you could also use leftover mashed potatoes. If the mixture is very moist, you may need more flour. Please do not use instant mashed potatoes.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Then reheat in a hot oven at 350°F for approx. 10-12 minutes until warm and crispy.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.