This Vegan Potato Bake (Potatoes au Gratin) with Mushrooms and Zucchini is comfort food at its best! It’s creamy, flavorful, “cheesy”, healthy, satisfying and very easy to make! Perfect as a main course or side dish for any type of meal.
Do you guys have a special dish that reminds you of your childhood? For me, it’s creamy Potatoes au Gratin because I grew up with and it has always been one of our family favorites. I just changed a couple of things to make it healthier and vegan. However, even in the dairy-free version to me, it’s still one of the best comfort foods and my family loves it too! So if you have ever found yourself looking for new ideas how to use potatoes in a simple but delicious way, this Vegan Potato Bake recipe will make your day!
The perfect potato recipe in one dish
Instead of using several pots and pans to cook everything separately, you can make this creamy and “cheesy” Vegan Potato Bake in just one dish! And the best is, that it’s prepared in only about 10 minutes, and even though you‘ll also have to add in baking time, fortunately, you don’t need to do anything to it while it’s baking in the oven. So you can spend the time doing anything else that has to be done in your household. This is also a reason why my mom loved to make it on busy days after work, by the way.
Easy Vegan Potato Bake
This Potatoes au Gratin is really very easy to make. There are basically two steps required for this recipe. You need only prepare the vegetables (Potatoes, Mushrooms and Zucchini) and blend up the ingredients for the vegan cheese sauce in a blender, which takes less than 5 minutes. Then you just have to pour the sauce over the potatoes and veggies and put it in the oven for an hour. It couldn’t be easier!
Only Plant-based Ingredients
If you make a traditional dish of Potatoes au Gratin, they usually contain ingredients which aren’t vegan or gluten-free. This healthier dish, however, is made with only plant-based ingredients, so it contains no heavy cream or dairy cheese. The sauce is based on cashews and that makes it a thick and creamy consistency. I kept it very simple, however, it’s pretty similar to my Vegan Alfredo Sauce recipe.
Vegan Potato Bake with Mushrooms and Zucchini
I love adding healthy vegetables to my meals, so I also added mushrooms zucchini in this Vegan Potato Bake Recipe because they’re perfect for layering with the Potatoes. Also, I like adding pumpkin, tomatoes, spinach, carrots or sweet potatoes. However, you can add any vegetables because it’s a very versatile recipe, so feel free to mix and match to your wish.
This Potatoes au Gratin is:
- Easy to prepare
- Absolutely delicious!
- The perfect comfort food
Want some healthy sides dishes?
In case you‘re still looking for some healthy and delicious side dishes that make a great accompaniment to this Vegan Potato Bake you could check out my Mushroom Wellington, Vegan Meatballs, Falafel, Eggplant Fritters, Crispy Cauliflower Nuggets, Lentil Couscous Patties or Sweetpotato Falafel. I would love to see a comment of what you do with this recipe, so If you decided to make it please let me know!
Vegan Potato Bake (Potatoes au Gratin)
For the Potatoes & Veggies:
- 2 lbs Potatoes (750 g) peeled
- 1 Zucchini (200 g) or sub more potatoes or other veggies
- 7 oz Mushrooms (200 g) optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
Creamy Cashew Sauce:
- 4 tbsp Vegan Cheese optional
- fresh chives optional
- pine nuts optional
- Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C) and grease a baking dish* with a little oil.
Prepare the Veggies:
- Thinly slice zucchini and very thinly slice potatoes. (Zucchini should be sliced a bit thicker than potatoes.) *
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add onion and mushrooms and fry for about 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for another minute while stirring, then set aside.
Make the Cashew sauce:
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Put them into a blender along with non-dairy milk, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Blend for a few minutes until smooth.
Assemble the Gratin and bake:
- Heat up the cashew sauce in a pot (optionally, to reduce the baking time).
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes and zucchini in the baking dish. Top evenly with half of the cashew sauce, then spread over the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Layer the rest of the potatoes and zucchini, then the rest of the mushrooms and sauce. (Make sure that the veggies are well covered with the sauce).
- Bake the potato bake for about 50 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and soft. (If it gets too brown during baking, cover the dish with tin foil or baking paper. But note that the potatoes need more time to cook through when the dish is covered).
- Optionally, sprinkle vegan cheese over a few minutes before done and continue baking until melted, about 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped chives and toasted pine nuts or other toppings you like.
- I used a 10x7-inch baking dish and a mandolin slicer for slicing the potatoes and zucchini.
- The bake time may vary depending on how thick you sliced the potatoes or if you covered the dish during baking.
- If you don’t have a blender to blend the cashews, you can use cashew butter (or any other nut butter).
- If you’re allergic to nuts or don’t have any on hand, you can sub coconut cream (the thick part of coconut milk after chilling a can for 24 hours).
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.