Pancake cereal is the latest TikTok food trend so today I show you how to make vegan mini pancakes with this easy fun recipe! It requires only simple pantry staple ingredients, including a gluten-free option, and makes a fancy take on traditional breakfast for the whole family!
If you’re bored of your oatmeal, muesli or cornflakes breakfast bowl, try this mini pancake cereal! I promise you, it will quickly become your new favorite breakfast or brunch recipe because it’s not only fun to make but also tastes amazing! In my recipe video, you will learn how you can easily make your own pancake cereal that’s dairy-free, egg-free, and 100% vegan!
What is Pancake Cereal?
Pancake Cereal is the ultimate new trend on social media. They’re actually just mini pancakes which are similar to poffertjes because of their tiny sizes, then served in a bowl like a cereal. Even though I don’t have TikTok, I’m always in for fancy food trends! My vegan pancake recipe is fluffy, delicious, and perfect for kids and adults alike!
Vegan Pancake Batter for TikTok Mini Cereal
While you can basically use any pancake batter to make them, I adapt my best vegan pancakes recipe to make this cereal. Feel free to add banana and cocoa powder to make vegan chocolate pancakes or peanut butter, almond butter, whatever add-ins you like to create your favorite flavor!
For my basic pancake recipe, you only need simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. They’re:
- Flour: use all-purpose or spelt flour, or even gluten-free flour (*see recipe notes below).
- Vegan protein powder: or coconut/ almond flour to create a thicker batter and add more nutrients but that’s just optional.
- Baking powder and baking soda: helps the batter to rise.
- Sugar or syrup: to taste. I use just a bit because I love sweet toppings!
- Salt: to balance out the flavors.
- Dairy-free milk: I use soy milk but any other should work, too!
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice: To activate the baking agents and create vegan buttermilk.
- Vanilla extract: optional for flavor. However, you can also add tonka bean or cinnamon if you like!
Find the full recipe with measurement and instruction in the recipe card below!
How to make Pancake Cereal
Once you mixed together the batter, you can transfer it either into a piping bag or a squeeze bottle, whatever you have at home works. Just make sure to have a teensy hole at the end to squeeze bite-sized dollops of batter.
Heat a large non-stick pan or crêpes maker as I did. Lightly grease the surface with a little oil, then pipe small mini pancakes onto it. You can keep them as mini as you like or make them a little bigger – it’s absolutely up to you!
When the top starts to create bubbles flip the mini pancakes with chopsticks and cook the other side. It takes less than 1 minute for each side to be golden brown so be careful as they‘re done quickly. Then put your vegan mini pancakes in a cereal bowl and make the next batch.
Topping Ideas for pancake cereal
You can serve the pancake cereal in endless ways! Enjoy it the traditional way with a dollop of vegan butter and maple syrup instead of honey. However, you can also top it with peanut butter, Vegan Nutella, chopped nuts, or your favorite fruit. I personally like my mini pancakes best with chocolate chips, vegan butter, maple syrup, and strawberries.
No matter how you dress these mini-sized baby pancakes up, you just can’t go wrong. They’re light, soft, and fluffy goodness so just get creative while serving!
How to store pancakes
Store leftover vegan pancakes in an airtight container. They keep fresh in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Then reheat in a preheated oven for about 5 minutes – they’ll taste amazing, trust me! Alternatively, warm in the microwave for a few seconds or enjoy them cold with desired topping and dairy-free milk!
This vegan mini pancake cereal recipe is
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Easy and fun to make
- Can be made gluten-free
- The perfect breakfast for the whole family!
More vegan breakfast or brunch recipes to try:
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Vegan French Toast
- Apple Pie Roll-Ups
- Vegan Crepes
- Easy Vegan Waffles
- Chocolate Banana Pancakes
- The Best Vegan Omelet
- Homemade Bagels
- Asparagus Puff Pastry Bundles
- Vegan Egg Salad Breakfast Burritos
If you try this vegan mini pancake cereal recipe, feel free to leave a comment and a rating on how you liked it! And if you take a photo of your tiny mini baby pancakes, please tag me on Instagram @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Have fun!
Pancake Cereal (Vegan Mini Pancakes)Author:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose or spelt flour or sub gluten-free flour (*see notes)
- 1 tbsp vegan protein powder or coconut/ almond flour (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sugar or syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup soy milk or other dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- oil for frying
- *Note: Please watch the recipe video for visual instruction.
- Pour the soy milk in a measuring jar (*see note in step 3). Add the apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Set aside for about 5 minutes until it curdles to create vegan buttermilk. (You can try this with other dairy-free milk too, but in my experience, it works best with soy milk).
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, vegan protein powder (if using), baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Stir the vanilla extract into the vegan buttermilk. Then add the flour mixture and stir to combine, adding a little more milk as needed. (*It’s easier to pour the batter into the piping bag or bottle when it’s mixed in a measuring jar).
- Heat a large non-stick pan or crêpes maker over medium heat and lightly grease with oil.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag (or squeeze bottle). Then pipe small mini pancakes onto it. Cook for about 30-45 seconds, or until the top starts to create bubbles. Then flip and cook from the other side, until the mini pancakes are golden-brown on both sides.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.