This homemade vegan Nutella recipe (nut nougat cream) is easy to make with 5 ingredients and the best chocolate hazelnut spread that is dairy-free, gluten-free, healthy, creamy and so delicious! Perfect on top of pancakes, waffles, toast, fruits, and more!
I have always loved Nutella, especially when I was a child, but now I’m obsessed with my healthy and vegan homemade Nutella without palm oil or other unusual ingredients! This simple chocolate hazelnut spread recipe is one of my favorites in my cookbook so I would like to share it here on the blog with anyone! It is amazingly delicious, very versatile and a must-have in my fridge!
Why you’ll love this Vegan Nutella recipe!
While the original Nutella or traditional nut nougat cream contains only 13% hazelnuts, dairy ingredients, a lot of sugar and unhealthy fats, my vegan version uses just natural ingredients, including 60% hazelnuts, and contains no additives or preservatives! Anyway, the taste comes pretty close to the real deal – it is dreamily creamy, silky smooth, rich in chocolate and hazelnut flavor and just so delicious!
How to serve this chocolate hazelnut spread
When I make a batch of this easy vegan Nutella, it never lasts longer than a week in my fridge. I even love to eat it just with a spoon or I drizzle it over bananas, strawberries or other fruits. I also love to put it on:
- Banana bread
- Buckwheat Chia bread
- French Toast
… but there are so many more ways how you can enjoy this yummy creamy chocolate hazelnut spread!
How to make Vegan Nutella
This homemade vegan Nutella recipe is simply requiring just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes. All you need are raw hazelnuts, maple syrup, coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and some dark chocolate. That’s all! To keep things easier, you could also substitute hazelnut butter as mentioned in this recipe.
Step 1: Roasting the Hazelnuts and getting the skins off
Start to roast the hazelnuts to warm up the natural oils and loosen the skins. Then leave them to cool before placing them in a clean tea towel and rubbing them until all the skins have come off. I used regular raw hazelnuts here, but you can use blanched ones if you can find them in a store and save the step to getting the skins off.
Step 2: Blending the hazelnuts into nut butter
Next, transfer the peeled hazelnuts to a blender (or food processor) and blend until the nuts turn into nut butter.
Step 3: Melting the chocolate coconut milk mixture, then mixing it with the nut butter!
In the meantime, slowly melt the chocolate and coconut milk in a heatproof bowl placed over a small saucepan of boiling water. Then stir in the maple syrup until smooth.
Step 4: Mixing the chocolate mixture into the hazelnut butter
Finally, add the melted chocolate and coconut milk mixture into the hazelnut butter along with the salt and blend until you have creamy homemade Nutella! That’s it!
Can I use cocoa powder instead of chocolate?
I have already tested this chocolate and hazelnut spread recipe with cocoa powder which works well, too. However, the melted vegan chocolate version yields a much creamier Nutella! I recommend using a chocolate that is in the range of 60%-70%. However, if you like your chocolate more bitter, feel free to go for a higher percentage, such as 75% or even 80%.
Can I make it sweeter?
If you prefer a sweeter vegan Nutella, feel free to add more maple syrup or other syrup you have on hand. Just consider that the more syrup you add, the more claggy the spread will become. So I suggest adding one teaspoon hot coconut milk or boiling water at a time and stir until smooth again.
This Homemade Vegan Nutella is:
- Refined sugar-free (depending on your chocolate)
- Perfectly sweet
- Easy to make
- So delicious!
If you love chocolate, be sure to check out these amazing recipes:
- Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Vegan Snickers Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Pancakes
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- Peanut Caramel Chocolate Bars (Vegan Snickers)
- Best Vegan Brownies
If you try this easy, healthy, and vegan Homemade Nutella recipe, please leave a comment and rating! And if you take a photo of your dairy-free chocolate hazelnut spread and share it on Instagram, please make sure to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Enjoy!
Homemade Vegan NutellaAuthor:
- Note: For the best results, I recommend measuring the ingredients in grams. Simply click on the word "metric" right above the ingredient list. Also, make sure to check the recipe VIDEO + step-by-step pictures above!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread out the hazelnuts on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast them for approx. 10 minutes until they smell toasty and the skin starts to peel off. (Alternatively, you could also use hazelnut butter as mentioned in this recipe).
- Leave the nuts to cool before placing them in a clean tea towel and rubbing them until all the skins have come off.
- Blend the nuts for around 5 minutes in a blender (or food processor) to create creamy nut butter.
- Melt the chocolate together with the coconut milk, maple syrup and salt in a heat-proof bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the hazelnut butter and blend until creamy.
- Transfer your vegan Nutella to a clean jar, seal tightly and store in the fridge. The spread will keep for about a week.
- Chocolate: You can also use cocoa powder but the melted vegan chocolate version yields a much creamier Nutella! I suggest using a bar of chocolate that has 60%-70% cocoa solids.
- Maple syrup: You can also use another syrup of your choice.
- Which blender? I usually use my highspeed blender which takes just 5 minutes to make nut butter but it works equally well in a food processor as shown in the VIDEO! Depending on your food processor or blender, it may take a bit longer.
- This recipe makes 2 jars (220 ml each).
- Please read my blog post for serving suggestions, step-by-step photos & more helpful information!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.