Vegan cheese sauce without dairy milk, cream, and cheese can be made super easy by yourself! So today I have 2 recipes for vegan cheese sauce, which I love to make lately! One is “vegan Mac and Cheese” with potatoes and cashews and the other is a simple “vegan cheese sauce” without cashews, which is ready in only 3 minutes! I hope you will love them as much as I do! 🙂
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Ingredients for (4 servings):
- 400 g noodles (uncooked)
- 250 g potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2-3 garlic gloves
- ca. 175 ml water (of your boiled veggies)
- 80 g cashews (or 4 tbsp cashew butter)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- a knife tip cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (as an option)
- a bit soy cream or coconut milk (to refine)
- fresh parsley
- bread crumbs
- Soak cashew nuts for 2-3 hours or overnight (or just boil for 10 minutes), then drain.
- Cook pasta until ‘al dente’ according to package instructions. Then drain and set aside.
- Chop potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic and cook them for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- When the veggies are soft, remove them with a slotted spoon from the cooking water and blend them together with 175 ml of the cooking and the remaining ingredients for about 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the sauce over your cooked noodles, heat up everything once again as needed, and refine with soy cream or coconut milk if you like.
- Serve your vegan mac and cheese topped with bread crumbs and fresh parsley in a pasta bowl.
- As an option, you can also put the noodles into a baking dish, then sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake at 180 degrees Celcius for about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Quick easy vegan cheese sauce
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 250 ml plant milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (or tapioca starch for a more stretchy sauce)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard (optional to taste)
- 2/3 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp red paprika powder
- pinch of turmeric (optional for yellow color)
- Heat the oil in a small pot. Press in the garlic and fry briefly.
- Remove 3-4 tablespoons of the plant milk into a cup and dissolve the cornstarch in it.
- Add the remaining plant milk to the garlic in the pot and bring to the boil. Then stir in the starch mixture and all other remaining ingredients and bring to the boil again while stirring. Simmer briefly until the sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Bon appetite! 🙂
Tip: If you want the vegan cheese sauce richer, you can stir in 1-2 tbsp cashew butter or use a mixture of plant milk and plant cream.
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.