This Vegan Mac and Cheese is a healthy, delicious and creamy dairy-free, plant-based cheese sauce mainly based on potatoes. It’s super easy to make and also perfect to make a pasta bake!
Today I‘d love to share one of my favorite recipes with you – namely Vegan Mac and Cheese! Honestly, who doesn‘t love pasta in combination with a creamy and delicious sauce? And yes, you’ve read right! A vegan cheese sauce. Probably sounds contradictory, but with the right ingredients and perfect seasonings it’s possible.
Healthy Vegan Mac and Cheese
This healthy Vegan Mac and Cheese sauce is mainly based on potatoes, carrots, cashew nuts and a very special ingredient, that is – in my opinion – necessary for the taste – it‘s mustard! I’ve already tried the recipe without mustard but believe me, it’s not the same. For this recipe I used mustard in variety hot to refine, because I wanted it a bit more hot this time. But you can also use another type of mustard, of course. I personally always prefer products which contains neither preservatives n‘or additional flavours, because for me good ingredients and a perfect spice are very important.
By the way, I have a special idea for you! When you buy mustard in jars, you do not only something good for the environment, but you can also reuse them for yourself or as a gift idea. I think to give away something unique or homemade is very special! Whether as decoration with a candle or as a jam jar for a homemade christmassy and sweet spread, as a selfmade snow globe, or as container for spices or even for your favorite cheese sauce (as I did). Such a mustard jar is so versatile. So, in my kitchen, a jar of mustard has always had a fixed place since already such a long time and should not be missed!
If you like this recipe, you may also like my Vegan Alfredo Pasta Sauce made of Cashews.
And now let’s get to the recipe for my Vegan Mac and Cheese:
Vegan Mac and Cheese (dairy-free 'cheese sauce')
- 400 g pasta uncooked
for the sauce:
- fresh parsley
- red pepper flakes
- Soak Cashews for 4-6 hours (or better overnight). Then drain. (Optionally, you can also use bought cashew butter).
- Chop potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- In the meantime, cook pasta ‘al dente’ according to package instructions. Drain afterwards.
- As soon as the vegetables are soft enough to blend, remove them with a slotted spoon from the cooking water and blend them with 175 ml of that cooking water along with the remaining ingredients in a blender for about 2 minutes until smooth and creamy. (The consistency of the sauce depends on the amount of the liquid).
- Pour the sauce over your cooked noodles. (Heat up again, if you like).
- Serve your mac and cheese with red pepper flakes and fresh parsley in a pasta dish.
- As option you can place the noodles in a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes.
|Did you make this dish via my recipe? Leave a comment and rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #biancazapatka and tag me via @biancazapatka to make sure I’ll see it. I’m looking forward to see all your lovely creations! 🙂|
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! ?
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.