This is the easiest and BEST Vegan Loaf Cake recipe – It’s light, fluffy, moist, delicious and so easy to make! Only simple pantry staple ingredients and 10 minutes prep required. No eggs, no dairy, no butter needed! The recipe is super versatile and can be made with chocolate, berries and more add-ins.
Easy Moist Vegan Loaf Cake Recipe
This recipe is proof that you really don’t need eggs, butter and dairy milk to bake a cake. Eggless cakes are even much moister than classic dry sponge cakes! To make the loaf cake, you only need a few simple ingredients and less than 5 minutes. Then the cake is ready to go into the oven. It rises beautifully and becomes really soft and fluffy – This cake is just incredibly delicious!
With this easy basic recipe you can bake the perfect vegan sponge cake in under 1 hour. You can also refine the cake with chocolate chips, fruit, berries, nuts or flavors. Whether it’s for a birthday or a coffee party, this cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion! It’s easy to make and super versatile.
I baked this vegan sponge cake as a simple loaf cake, but it also works as a bundt cake, round cake, sheet cake or as cupcakes. If you use a different baking dish, please note that it may also change the baking time. The smaller and the flatter the cake, the faster it will be ready. Muffins and cupcakes, for example, only need 20-25 minutes.
- Flour: light all-purpose flour, wheat flour, spelt flour or gluten-free flour is best for a fluffy soft cake. You can also use whole wheat flour, but then the cake will be more dense.
- Baking powder: or a mixture of baking powder and baking soda.
- Sugar: like raw cane sugar, regular white sugar, or another variety to taste. You can also use brown sugar or coconut sugar, but this will make the cake darker.
- Salt: just a pinch.
- Plant milk: soy milk is best for vegan baking because soy is a good egg substitute. However, other plant milks such as almond milk, oat milk or cashew milk will do too. You could also try apple juice, orange juice or lemonade for different flavors.
- Oil: actually, any neutral vegetable oil such as canola oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil is suitable. However, the cake tastes best with Alba oil (butter-flavored canola oil).
- Lemon juice: or white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Vanilla extract: or another flavoring like almond extract, cinnamon, rum, lemon zest, orange zest or whatever you like.
As always, I recommend watching the recipe video and checking out these step-by-step instructions first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact quantities in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Make the batter
Sift flour and baking powder, into a large bowl. Add salt and sugar and whisk together. In another container, combine plant milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Then add to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
Tip: Please stir only until all ingredients have just combined. If you overmix the batter, the cake will not rise well and will be less fluffy!
Step 2: Bake the cake
Pour the batter into a German 9.8-inch (25 cm) loaf pan or wide English / American 8-inch loaf pan and smooth it out. Bake on the middle rack at 356 °F (180 °C) for about 55 minutes until a wooden stick comes out clean. Then remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
Step 3: Decorate
Before serving, drizzle with a sugar glaze if you like, or just dust with powdered sugar. You can also decorate the loaf cake with a chocolate icing or vegan cream cheese frosting. Slice and enjoy!
In this article you will find many tips & tricks for vegan baking. If you follow everything your cake will always turn out perfectly! Therefore, I highly recommend reading the post. Here are also 3 tips for this basic recipe summarized:
- Do not over-mix the batter! Please stir the batter only until all ingredients have just combined. Otherwise the cake does not rise well.
- Use the right ingredients! Please read all the ingredient notes. If you want a super fluffy cake, you should use a light flour, regular sugar and soy milk for the best result.
- Bakery-style! To make sure your cake rises evenly and cracks in the middle, you can gently cut a slit in the middle with a sharp knife after about 10 minutes of baking time.
This basic vegan sponge cake recipe is super versatile and can be easily modified. You could add the following ingredients to the batter:
- Chocolate: chopped chocolate, chocolate chips, nougat or cocoa.
- Nuts: chopped hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds or pistachios
- Dried fruits: raisins, chopped dates, figs, apricots, etc.
- Fruit: such as apples, pears and cherries or berries such as blueberries or raspberries. Fresh or frozen fruits should be always tossed in cornstarch beforehand so they don’t make the cake soggy.
- Flavors: vanilla, almond, orange or lemon.
- Spices: Cinnamon, Chai Latte, Pumpkin Spice or ground Bourbon Vanilla.
- Alcohol: Rum or Amaretto
- Glaze: chocolate glaze, lemon glaze or fruit glaze
- Frosting: buttercream, cream cheese or whipped cream.
Vegan Chocolate Loaf Cake
To make a chocolate cake, you can simply replace 50 g of flour with cocoa powder!
Simple Vegan Marble Cake
If you want to bake a marble cake with this easy loaf cake recipe, simply prepare the batter according to the instructions. Then pour about half of the batter into a separate bowl. Now add 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder and a dash of plant milk and mix everything together to form a chocolate batter. Then pour both batters into the baking pan and run a fork through it in waves so that the cake gets a nice marble pattern.
You can store vegan cakes just like classic sponge cakes in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days and in a cool place or refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If the cake becomes hard and dry after a few days, you can simply heat your piece in the microwave for a few seconds before eating. This will make it wonderfully soft, fluffy and moist again and it will taste just like freshly baked!
How to freeze vegan cakes?
You can simply put individual pieces of cake or the entire cake in a freezer-safe container or in a freezer bag and seal it airtight. To prevent individual pieces from freezing together and to make it easier to remove them when thawing, I recommend separating the individual cake pieces with a piece of baking paper beforehand.
You can then simply let the cake thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before eating. You can also defrost individual pieces / slices quickly in the microwave or in the toaster (for box cakes).
This Vegan Loaf Cake recipe is:
- Without butter
- Gluten-free possible
- Quick and easy
- Fluffy and soft
- Moist and delicious!
- The perfect cake for every day!
More easy vegan cake recipes to try
- Moist Coconut Cake
- Grandmas Apple Cake
- The Best Lemon Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Pear Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Raspberry Almond Cake
- Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Blood Orange Bundt Cake
- Apricot Cake with Coconut
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Classic Banana Bread
- Zebra Marble Cake
- Chocolate Pumpkin Marble Bread
If you try this easy vegan loaf cake recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a review! And if you take a picture of your treat and share it on Instagram or Facebook, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Happy baking! 🙂
Easy Vegan Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze and BlueberriesAuthor:
- 3 cups (360 g) flour all-purpose, spelt or gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar variety to taste
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) plant milk variety to taste
- ½ cup (120 ml) oil e.g. canola, sunflower or butter-flavored Alba oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp water or lemon juice
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step instructions!
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add salt and sugar and mix everything together.
- In another bowl, whisk together plant milk, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Then add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth it out. Bake on the middle rack for about 55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Then lift out of the pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- If desired, mix powdered sugar and water or lemon juice and pour the glaze over the cake or simply dust with powdered sugar.
- Bakery-style! To make sure your cake cracks in the middle and rises evenly, you can gently cut a slit in the middle with a sharp knife after the first 15-20 minutes of baking time.
- For more information, recipe variations, tips, storage instructions, notes on ingredients, and detailed step-by-step instructions, see the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.