These vegan chocolate hazelnut brownies are incredibly moist, fudgy, rich, gluten-free, almost flourless and literally taste like Nutella but made as a brownie! They’re exactly what brownies should be – gooey and chocolaty from the inside but with a perfectly crisp outer crust! No eggs, no dairy, less sugar, but 100% chocolate flavor!
Best Vegan Hazelnut Brownies
Who else is obsessed with Brownies as much as I am? Honestly, I can’t imagine that there’s anyone out there who doesn’t love these chocolatey treats! I am really happy, you love my best vegan brownies and my cherry cheesecake brownies so much! So I am super excited to share this Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie Recipe with you today!
These delicious Nutella Brownies are so rich and fudgy, not only vegan people will love them but anyone will do! It’s probably one of the best vegan hazelnut brownie recipes I have ever tried and you’ll love how quick and easy it can be made! Anyway, if you’re a fan of Nutella, these will definitely become your favorites, too!
Easy Vegan Nutella Brownies
This recipe requires only a few simple pantry ingredients, you may already have at home. There are no dairy ingredients and no eggs in these brownies, just chocolate, hazelnuts, and a few simple pantry ingredients. Since these brownies contain only a little bit of flour, they’re not only vegan but also almost flourless!
Step 1: Make the brownie batter
Start to make the flax-eggs by soaking ground flax seeds in water. In the meantime, slowly melt the vegan butter and chopped chocolate over a water bath. In a bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients: ground hazelnuts, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda (or baking powder), salt, and sugar. Then, add the prepared flax eggs, melted chocolate mixture, and the remaining hot water and stir until just combined.
*Note: Please make sure to use hot water as this will help the ingredients to combine easily without overmixing. Also, I highly recommend using a spatula or a wooden spoon but no electric mixer! The goal here is to stir the batter as little as possible, so you’ll get the best fluffy result!
Step 2: Top with Hazelnuts and bake!
When you have the chocolate batter, fill it into an 8×8-inch square pan lined with parchment paper. I recommend to lightly grease the pan before adding the parchment as this will help the parchment sticking to the pan. Then, carefully tap the pan on the counter a few times to level out the top. Finally, spread chopped hazelnuts and vegan chocolate chips over the top of your brownies and bake!
Step 3: Allow to cool
Once done baking, the brownies are so soft, they literally melt in your mouth! So be sure to let them cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan as they need a few minutes to firm up. If you can’t wait, feel free to grab a spoon and eat the Nutella brownie cake straight from the pan like I usually do! It’s so good!
A little note on this recipe:
- Flour: You can make these vegan hazelnut brownies completely flourless if you like. However, I find the batter needs a bit of flour for a better binding otherwise, they were too doughy for my taste.
- Ground nuts: Please make sure to use whole ground nuts and no nut flour. Nut flour contains less fat, so the brownies may get too dry!
- Flax seeds: Instead of flax seeds, you can also use ground chia seeds. Alternatively, you can substitute the whole flax eggs with 1 large or 2 medium ripe mashed bananas. Since bananas are naturally sweet, you may need to add less sugar.
- Sugar: The sugar gives the brownies a very nice outer crust. I prefer to use cane sugar but coconut sugar works well, too! For this reason, I would not recommend using syrup at all!
- Chocolate: I prefer to use dark 70% chocolate but you can use your favorite variety, depending on your desired taste.
These vegan chocolate hazelnut brownies are:
- Vegan (egg-free, dairy-free)
- Moist and gooey
- Almost flourless
- So delicious and chocolatey
- Taste like Nutella!
Looking for more easy vegan chocolate recipes, then check out these amazing treats:
- Best Vegan Brownies
- Cherry Cheesecake Brownies
- Brownie Cheesecake Chocolate Cake
- Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse
If you try these Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies, please leave me a comment and rating, letting me know how you liked this recipe! And if you take a picture of your chocolate treat and share it on Instagram, please make sure to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka so I won’t miss your post! Happy baking!
Vegan Hazelnut BrowniesAuthor:
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
- 4 tbsp (30 g) flax seeds ground into flour
- ½ cup (120 ml) hot water
- 3.5 oz (100 g) dark chocolate 70%
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cup (125 g) ground hazelnuts or ground almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 g) flour e.g. all-purpose or gluten-free rice flour
- ¾ cup (70 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda or 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (100 g) raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) hot water or hot plant milk
- 1 cup (120 g) chopped hazelnuts
- ½ cup (90 g) vegan mini chocolate chips
*Note: Check out the step-by-step pictures above!
- Preheat your oven to 356°F (180°C) and line an 8×8-inch (20x20-cm) pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides.
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing the ground flax seeds with ½ cup of water. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Place the chopped chocolate and vegan butter in a heatproof bowl and allow to melt slowly over a water bath.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ground hazelnuts, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add in the prepared flax eggs, melted chocolate mixture and ⅓ cup hot water and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, then carefully tap the pan on the counter a few times to level out the top. Finally, top with chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips as desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Then let cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and cutting (*see notes).
- Hot water: The hot water helps the ingredients to combine easily without overmixing. Also, I highly recommend using a spatula or a wooden spoon but no electric mixer! The goal here is to stir the batter as little as possible, so you’ll get the best fluffy result!
- Allow to cool: The freshly baked brownies are very soft, so they literally melt in your mouth. However, this makes them more difficult to cut, so be sure to let them cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan while they firm up. If you can't wait, feel free to grab a spoon and eat the Nutella brownie cake straight from the pan - It's so good!
- Flourless: You could also make the brownies completely flourless by using more ground nuts instead of flour. However, I find the batter needs a bit of flour for a better binding.
- Ground nuts: Please use ground whole nuts and no nut flour! Nut flour contains less fat, so the brownies may get too dry.
- Flax seeds: Instead of flax seeds, you can also use ground chia seeds or substitute the whole flax eggs with 1 large or 2 medium mashed ripe bananas. Here you may need a little less sugar.
- Sugar: The sugar gives the brownies a wonderfully crispy outer crust but coconut sugar will work, too. I would not recommend using syrup.
- Please read my blog post above for more helpful information about this recipe!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply