This quick and easy vegan grilled cheese sandwich recipe is so delicious, you will not miss the real deal! It’s made with a dairy-free creamy vegan cheese spinach filling that can be stuffed into any kind of (gluten-free) sandwich bread! (This post contains product recommendations for vegan cheese alternatives)
Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
A cheesy vegan Sandwich is one of my favorite quick comfort foods. It’s just perfect when you want an easy lunch or dinner on busy days that is satisfying and tasty. I totally love that these Sandwiches can be prepared so versatile because you can add any additional vegetables and seasonings you like! So a simple bread never gets boring!
If you’re already a fan of my cheesy garlic mushroom spinach pizza or my vegan spinach ravioli, you’ll definitely love this grilled cheese sandwich too! The combination of the spinach cream and gooey melted vegan cheese between two slices of crispy toasted sandwich bread is truly a bomb! It’s simple, tasty, super delicious so you should try it soon!
Which bread can I use?
This grilled cheese spinach sandwich is extremely simple to prepare. I choose about 1/2 inch thick rye bread slices instead of regular wheat sandwich bread but you can absolutely use your favorite! Also, multigrain bread or gluten-free soft bread is a good option! Just take note that whole grain dairy-free bread will add more texture than a soft and fluffy one.
3-Minute Spinach Cream Spread
Since I love adding healthy vegetables into my meals, I made my favorite garlic spinach cream filling. It is super easy to prepare because you only need to sauté garlic for a few seconds. Then add the spinach and sauté for another minute until wilted. Finally, drain the excess liquid and stir in the vegan cream cheese or vegan cashew ricotta. That’s it!
How to make Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
All you have to do is to heat a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Then spread vegan butter (or oil) on one side of each of the bread slices. Once, the pan is hot, add the 2 slices of bread, buttered side down. On each slice, spread some shredded cheese, then add half amount of the spinach cream filling and more cheese. I use about 1/2 cup cheese in total per sandwich. Finally, top with the other slices of bread.
While the grilled cheese sandwich is cooking, use a spatula to gently press down on the sandwiches. When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwiches and cook from the other side too until toasty and the cheese is melted. This will take about 2-4 minutes each side.
Add-Ins for Grilled Cheese
As mentioned before, you can use almost any stuffing of your choice for grilled sandwiches. I also love tomato and vegan mozzarella or a Mexican veggie filling similar to my Mexican sweet potato skins. Anyway, I’m pretty sure the sandwich will be also delicious with a simple homemade pesto spread.
Store-bought or Homemade Vegan Cheese?
To keep things simple, you can use store-bought vegan cream cheese and dairy-free cheedar cheese shreds or slices. However, you could also make your own vegan cheese at home. Here are some of my favorite homemade vegan cheese recipes which are a good alternative to the store-bought cheeses:
- Best Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Pumpkin Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Cashew Ricotta
- Almond Tofu Ricotta
- Vegan Feta Cheese
- Melty Vegan Mozzarella
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
Which vegan cheese is the best?
Here in Germany where I live, there are a few options for vegan cheese available but I like “Simply-V” or “Wilmersburger” Cheddar Style best. For people in UK and US, I recommend “Daiya” since they have a great vegan cheddar shreds, cheddar cheese slices, and mozzarella shredded cheese alternative. But I’ve also heard that “Follow your heart” dairy-free cheese is a good choice.
Vegan butter or oil?
For the classic butter flavor and buttery texture I recommend using “Earth Balance Original” or (if you’re based in Germany) I recommend Alsan. Alternatively, you could also use vegan organic margarine or just oil but take a note that you won’t have that traditional butter taste.
This Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich is
- Gluten-free (if using gluten-free bread)
- Quick Easy to make
- Requires a few ingredients
- Loaded with spinach
- A tasty way to get your greens
- So delicious!
Looking for more tasty vegan snack ideas or appetizers for weeknight dinners, parties or game days? If so, be sure to check out the recipes for:
- Vegan Burrito Samosas
- Crispy Turkish Borek
- BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Burger
- Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
- Easy Vegan Quesadillas
- Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets
If you try this Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe be sure to leave a comment and rating letting me know how it turns out! Your feedback is always super helpful for me and other readers who are planning to try the recipe. And if you take a photo of your cheesy sandwich toast please make sure to tag me on Instagram @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes!
Vegan Grilled Cheese SandwichAuthor:
- 1 tsp olive oil for frying
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach roughly chopped, or sub frozen (*see notes)
- pinch of salt more to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese or homemade (*see notes)
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese or homemade (*see notes)
*Note: Feel free to watch the recipe video and read the blog post above!
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add the spinach and a pinch of salt, and sauté for a further minute until just wilted. Transfer to a bowl, drain off any excess liquid, then stir in the vegan cream cheese and another pinch of salt to taste. (*See step-by-step pictures above).
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Clean the same skillet (or use another large pan) and heat to medium-high heat.
- Spread vegan butter (or oil) on one side of each of the bread slices. Once, the pan is hot, add 2 slices of bread, buttered side down. On each slice, spread some shredded cheese, the spinach cream filling, some more cheese (½ cup cheese per sandwich), and top with the other slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Use a spatula to gently press down on the grilled cheese sandwich during frying. When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is toasted too and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes each side.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- If you want a meltier sandwich, you can microwave it for about 15-20 seconds after frying.
- Instead of store-bought vegan cream cheese, you can make cashew ricotta or almond ricotta.
- Instead of store-bought vegan cheese shreds or slices, you can make my favorite easy vegan cheese sauce or vegan pumpkin cheese sauce or this vegan melty mozzarella.
- Please read my blog post for more information about this recipe, e.g. which vegan cheese I recommend or more recipes for homemade vegan cheese.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply