Vegan Creamy Mushrooms are quick and easy to make and incredibly delicious – This mushroom sauce recipe goes well with all kinds of dishes and is always a favorite in our family!
The Best Vegan Creamy Mushroom Sauce
There’s nothing like a homemade creamy mushroom sauce that you can serve with many savory dishes, right? Whether you enjoy it with pasta, gnocchi, mashed potatoes, rice or bread dumplings, creamy mushrooms are super versatile and always a hit!
Anyone who has tried my vegan mushroom stroganoff or the chickpea no-meatballs knows that the combination of mushrooms and pasta or mashed potatoes is simply the best! Grandma often served creamy mushrooms with schnitzel, especially the German “Jägerschnitzel”was grandpa’s favorite dish! Therefore, the vegan version with celery schnitzel has also become a special recipe of my new cookbook “Vegan Paradise”!
Ingredients needed for this recipe
To make creamy mushrooms, you only need a few simple staple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Since mushrooms grow in almost every month of the year, feel free to gather any available mushroom varieties in the woods and use them for this recipe.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Canola or olive oil: for frying.
- Mushrooms: cremini, brown or white button or other mushrooms of your choice.
- Onions: diced.
- Garlic cloves: chopped.
- All-purpose flour: or gluten-free flour.
- Soy or Tamari sauce: or sub coconut aminos if soy-free.
- Vegan white wine: or sub more broth.
- Vegetable broth
- Soy or oat cooking cream: or other dairy-free cream or full-fat coconut milk.
- Yellow Mustard: medium hot.
- Nutritional yeast flakes: optional for more flavor.
- Salt and pepper: to taste.
- Herbs: thyme and parsley.
How to make Vegan Creamy Mushroom Sauce
As always, I recommend checking out this step-by-step instruction first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Sauté the vegetables.
Start by heating the oil in a pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until they turn slightly golden brown. Then add onions and garlic and sauté for another 3 minutes. Now sprinkle with flour, add thyme and sauté for a few seconds.
Step 2: Pour in liquid and simmer.
Next, deglaze the pan with soy sauce and white wine and let it boil down briefly. Then add vegetable broth, cooking cream and mustard and season with nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Finally, stir in the parsley and you’re done!
Tip: If the mushroom sauce becomes too thick, simply add a little more water, dairy-free milk or more cooking cream.
What to serve with creamed mushrooms?
- Potato Croquettes
- Homemade Gnocchi
- Homemade Pasta
- German Spaetzle
- Lentil Meatloaf
- Vegan Swedish Meatballs
- Mushroom Wellington
- Vegan Cevapcici
- Hash Browns
- Braised Red Cabbage
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
How to store creamy mushroom sauce?
You can store leftover vegan mushroom sauce covered in the refrigerator, then reheat it in the microwave or in the pot. You can also freeze it like other sauces. Then simply thaw and reheat when needed.
This recipe for vegan creamed mushrooms is:
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Can be made gluten-free
- Quick and easy to make
- Very tasty!
If you try this easy vegan creamy mushrooms recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you share a photo of your delicious dish on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Happy cooking! 🙂
Easy Creamy MushroomsAuthor:
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 lbs (450 g) mushrooms sliced
- 2 onions chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour*
- 3 tbsp soy or tamari sauce
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) vegan white wine or more broth
- ¾ cup (180 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (120 ml) soy or oat cooking cream or other dairy-free cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp yellow mustard medium hot
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes optional
- ⅓ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- ½ bunch parsley chopped
*Note: Feel free to check out the recipe video + step-by-step pictures at the top of the post!
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until they turn slightly golden brown. Then add onions and garlic and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and thyme and sauté briefly. Deglaze the pan with soy sauce and white wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, soy cooking cream, and mustard and season with nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes on low heat (if the sauce gets too thick, just add some more water or cooking cream).
- Finally, stir in the parsley, taste again and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Enjoy your meal!
- Instead of vegetable broth + soy or oat cooking, you can also use 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) of unsweetened dairy-free milk.
- Instead of all-purpose flour, you can also use gluten-free flour.
- Servings suggestions and more information about the recipe, including tips on storage and freezing, are mentioned in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.