This deliciously dreamy and wonderfully creamy Vegan Creamed Spinach Pasta Recipe is dairy-free, soy-free, and can be made nut-free and gluten-free too. It’ll only take you 20 minutes to make this easy but belly-pleasing dish. You can also serve this creamy Spinach Sauce over Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Tofu Nuggets, Vegan Fried Eggs or Carrot Lox – it’s simply delicious!
The Best Quick and Easy Vegan Creamed Spinach
I’ve always been a big fan of creamed spinach with pasta as a change from the classic favorite dinner “spaghetti bolognese“. Since my grandma is a fantastic cook and makes almost everything from scratch, she cooked her best homemade spinach cream sauce for us a lot, which was way better than any store-bought ones! With all the comforting and familiar flavors of Grandma’s traditional creamed spinach recipe, this vegan pasta dish is made with only plant-based ingredients but as delicious!
Pasta with Creamy Spinach Sauce
I just love wholly satisfying dishes done with very little time and effort. They are lifesavers on days when you are tired and are craving for a savory dish to fill your tummy- immediately!
This Creamed Spinach Pasta fits the bill – spectacularly – if I may say so myself. You make the sauce in a pan while the pasta is boiling and the garlic cherry tomatoes are roasting in the oven. Once they are done, just assemble them on your plate, then garnish with toasted pine nuts, vegan parmesan, and fresh herbs and you are ready to go! It’s a simple, no-fuss dish that always hits the spot! It is guaranteed to wow everyone who tries it, even non-vegans will ask for seconds!
However, you can even keep it simpler with just the pasta and spinach cream sauce, which will only take you less than 15 minutes!
Ingredients for Vegan Creamed Spinach
Made of simple pantry staple ingredients, this one-pan, richly-flavored sauce is 100% dairy-free and soy-free. I used oat cream, cashew flour, and dairy-free milk to achieve a creamy consistency. I love how all that creaminess marries so well with the fresh taste of spinach while the pinch of nutmeg gives it a nutty and aromatic finish. Here are the ingredients needed:
How to make the Best Vegan Creamed Spinach
As always, I recommend checking out the recipe video and this step-by-step instruction first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Make the Vegan Cream Sauce
Start by sautéing the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Now stir in the flour, nutritional yeast flakes, vegetable broth powder, and oat cream, and bring to a boil briefly.
Step 2: Add the spinach and let it simmer
Then add the spinach and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes until wilted. If the sauce becomes too thick, add dairy-free milk until the desired consistency is reached. Finally, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg (optional) to taste – Done!
Step 3: Serve!
Now you can serve it with pasta or pair this with Vegan Mashed Potatoes, Homemade Gnocchi, Tofu Nuggets, and Potato Croquettes. Or use it as a dip for some Polenta Fries or other snacks or as a topping for Vegan Pizza. Enjoy!
What Pasta can you use?
Generally, flat ribbon-type pasta goes well with rich and creamy sauces, so some fettuccine and linguine would be ideal. However, you can use whatever pasta you have on hand with this recipe! You can use spaghetti, penne, farfalle, fusilli, rigatoni or from-scratch Vegan Pasta.
How do I make it gluten-free?
If you want to make this dish gluten-free, you can use your favorite gluten-free pasta brand. Or opt for some brown rice pasta, lentil pasta, chickpea or quinoa pasta instead. For a low-carb spinach pasta you can also opt for veggie noodles!
Some of the ingredient substitutions below might not be gluten-free like all-purpose flour, or other plant milk and cream. It is always best to check on package information before using them.
How to make it nut-free?
If you are allergic to nuts, sub the cashew flour with all-purpose, spelt, or gluten-free flour. You can also skip the pine nuts and use sunflower seeds instead. It’ll still add some crunch to your creamy spinach pasta dish!
Customize your Vegan Creamed Spinach Pasta
If you want to extend your dish further, you can add some veggies and proteins too! If you have tried my Vegan Lemon Pasta, you know that spinach and asparagus are magical together! You can also add some mushrooms and to make it “meatier” and healthier. Or go for beans, chickpeas or tofu to add some plant-based protein to your dish!
Aside from the garnishes I used, you can also squeeze a wedge of lemon or lime to give it a pop of freshness and tanginess, or a sprinkling of chili flakes for some zing!
Make ahead and Storing
You can definitely make the creamy spinach pasta sauce ahead of time and place it in a sealed container. If refrigerated, you can consume it for up to 5 days. If you are making a big batch, you can freeze it for a month. To reheat, just place in a pan over medium heat until softened. If it is too dry, you can hydrate it with non-dairy milk.
This Vegan Creamed Spinach Pasta is:
- Dairy-free and Soy-free
- Gluten-free and nut-free possible
- Super easy to make
- Done in less than 30 minutes!
- Perfect for busy weekdays and lazy weekends
- Great for meal-prepping
- Totally delicious!
More easy vegan pasta recipes to try
- Creamy Vegan Lemon Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Cauliflower Alfredo Pasta
- Spinach and Mushroom Pasta
- Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
- Sweet Potato Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Carbonara with Spaghetti
- Lentil Zucchini Lasagna
- Vegan Lentil Bolognese
- Tomato Cream Pasta alla Vodka
If you try this Vegan Creamed Spinach Pasta recipe, please leave a feedback and a star rating in the comment section below! And if you take a picture of your dish and share it on Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka, because I love seeing your remakes! Enjoy!
Vegan Creamed Spinach PastaAuthor:
- 14 oz spinach frozen
- 1 tbsp oil e.g. canola, olive, coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup oat cream or other dairy-free cream or full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup dairy-free milk oat, soy, coconut or almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp cashew flour or all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes or vegan parmesan
- 2 tsp vegetable broth powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of nutmeg optional
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step photos in the blog post above!
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted water according to package directions until 'al dente' and (optional) prepare the oven tomatoes according to this recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in the flour, nutritional yeast flakes, vegetable broth powder, and oat cream, and bring to a boil briefly. Then add the spinach and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes until wilted. If the sauce becomes too thick, add dairy-free milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg (optional) to taste.
- Lastly, briefly toast the pine nuts in a small pan.
- Once the pasta is 'al dente', drain the cooking water and serve immediately with the vegan creamed spinach sauce.
- Use any pasta you like or Homemade Vegan Pasta. You can also pair this creamed spinach with Vegan Mashed Potatoes, Homemade Gnocchi, Potato Croquettes, Tofu Nuggets, Vegan Fried Eggs or Carrot Lox. Or use it as a dip for some Polenta Fries or other snacks or as a topping for Vegan Pizza.
- Please read the blog post above for storing and freezing instructions as well as recipe variations and further information.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.