This vegan chocolate vanilla cake consists of fluffy, soft and moist cake layers, layered with nut nougat cream (Nutella mousse filling) and covered with chocolate ganache. Make this easy recipe ahead, then you’ll have a dreamy cake for birthdays or other occasions without much effort!
Vegan Chocolate Vanilla Cake – The Best Recipe
I created this beautiful vegan chocolate vanilla cake when I prepared the basic recipes for my eggless vanilla sponge cake and chocolate sponge cake. I made two cake layers of each sponge, so I had two light and two dark ones. Since I love the flavor of nut nougat cream, or chocolate hazelnut spread, I opted for a delicious for a vegan Nutella” mousse filling and a rich chocolate ganache for the frosting.
Simple Vegan Layer Cake without eggs and dairy
I wanted to keep my layer cake as simple as possible, but of course I still wanted it to be incredibly delicious and impressive! Luckily, it turned out amazing, because even my neighbors, who are not vegan, were totally thrilled! So now I’m sharing the recipe so that you can show your friends and family that vegan cakes without eggs and dairy turn out perfectly and, most importantly, taste great!
To make this vegan chocolate vanilla cake, you only need a few simple ingredients that are easily available in common supermarkets. These are:
- 4 cake layers: I baked 2 vanilla sponge cakes and 2 chocolate sponge cakes. However, you can also make just one flavor.
- Vegan cream cheese: use your favorite dairy-free brand.
- Vegan nut nougat cream: use any chocolate hazelnut spread that tastes and looks like Nutella.
- Dairy-free cream: make sure it is whippable.
- San-apart: this is a cream stabilizer that provides more stability. Alternatively, you can use cream of tartar.
- Vegan dark chocolate: This should have at least 60% cocoa content.
- Powdered sugar: If you don’t have any, you can also use other granulated sugar and then grind it finely in an electric coffee grinder or blender to make powdered sugar.
- Vegan butter: or coconut oil.
- Berries/fruit: optional for decorating, e.g. raspberries, red currants, pomegranate seeds.
How to make vegan chocolate vanilla cake
As always, I recommend checking out this step-by-step instructions and the recipe video first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Bake the cake layers
Tip: When the cakes are chilled, they are easier to cut and layer.
Step 2: Make the nut nougat filling
In a mixing bowl, beat the dairy-free cream with a hand mixer until stiff, sifting in the San-apart. In another mixing bowl, mix vegan cream cheese and vegan Nutella until smooth. Then gently fold the whipped cream into the nut nougat cream cheese. Then cover and refrigerate overnight.
Step 3: Make the chocolate ganache
Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the dairy-free cream in a small saucepan until it almost comes to a boil. Then pour over the chopped chocolate and let stand for about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and stir until you have a smooth ganache. Then place in the refrigerator overnight as well.
Step 4: Layer the cake
The next day, place a chocolate cake layer on a serving plate (use a cake ring if needed) and spread ⅓ of the Nutella cream evenly on top. Then place a vanilla cake layer on top and repeat the process until the cream and cake layers are used up.
Finally, spread the entire cake with the chocolate frosting (put the rest in a piping bag and keep it in the fridge to use for decoration later). Then chill the chocolate vanilla layer cake for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
Step 5: Make the drip and decorate the cake
Slowly melt the chopped chocolate with the vegan butter over a water bath. Then, using a piping bag or teaspoon, slowly pour it over the edge of the cake.
Finally, pipe the remaining chocolate frosting onto the cake and decorate with cocoa powder and berries as desired. Enjoy!
How can I store and freeze vegan cakes?
It’s best if you prepare all 3 components (the cake layers, Nutella mousse filling and ganache) the day before. That way, all the components have enough time to chill.
Then, when you layer and decorate the cake the next day, it’s best to refrigerate it for at least 3 hours or overnight afterward before serving.
The vegan chocolate vanilla cake keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you’ll have leftover pieces, you can also freeze them for 3 months. When needed, just take them out and let thaw overnight in the fridge.
This vegan chocolate vanilla cake is:
- Without dairy milk, heavy cream and butter
- Can be made gluten-free
- Easy to make ahead
- Versatile & customizable
- Soft and fluffy
- With a creamy filling
- Incredibly delicious!
- Perfect for any occasion!
More Vegan Cake Recipes
- Poppy Seed Lemon Layer Cake
- Raspberry Almond Cake
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Snickers Cake
- Blueberry Lemon Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Cake
- Black Forest Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- Blueberry Coconut Cake
- Strawberry Cream Cake
- Vanilla Cake
- Strawberry Coconut Cake
- German Danube Wave Cake
- German Bienenstich Kuchen
If you try this vegan chocolate vanilla cake with Nutella mousse, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your result and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Happy baking! 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Vanilla Cake with Nutella Mousse and GanacheAuthor:
Nut Nougat Filling
- 10.6 oz (300 g) vegan dark chocolate chopped
- 1 ¼ cup (300 g) dairy-free cream
- ¼ cup (50 g) powdered sugar
For the Drip
- 3.5 oz (100 g) vegan dark chocolate chopped
- 2.5 tbsp (40 g) vegan butter or coconut oil
- cocoa powder
- berries/fruits e.g. raspberries, red currants, pomegranate seeds
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step instructions above!
Nut Nougat Filling
- In a mixing bowl, beat the dairy-free cream with a hand mixer until stiff, sprinkling in the San-apart.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the vegan cream cheese and vegan Nutella until smooth. Then gently fold the whipped cream into the nut nougat cream cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Put the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Heat the dairy-free cream in a small saucepan until it almost comes to a boil. Then pour over the chopped chocolate and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and stir until you have a smooth ganache. Then place in the refrigerator overnight as well.
Assembling the cake
- The next day, place a chocolate cake layer on a serving plate (use a cake ring if needed) and spread ⅓ of the nut nougat filling evenly on top. Then place a vanilla cake layer on top and repeat the process until the cream and cake layers are used up.
- Finally, spread the entire cake with the chocolate frosting (put the rest in a piping bag and keep it in the fridge for decoration). Then chill the cake for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
Drip & Decoration
- Melt the chopped chocolate with the vegan butter slowly over a water bath. Then, using a piping bag or teaspoon, slowly pour the ganache over the edge of the cake.
- Use the remaining chocolate frosting to pipe pretty swirls onto the cake and decorate with cocoa powder and berries as desired.
- More helpful information about the recipe, including tips on making ahead, storing, freezing, and ingredients are mentioned in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.