This fluffy and moist vegan chocolate chip banana bread cake is very easy to make in one bowl, using simple pantry ingredients, and it’s just the best! It can be made nut-free, gluten-free and has less sugar but many healthy bananas, making this recipe to the perfect breakfast, snack or dessert.
Easy One-Bowl Banana Bread Recipe
If you love my Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread, you will love this amazing banana cake with chocolate chips, too! It is incredibly delicious, wonderfully soft and fluffy – it almost falls apart. But that is exactly how I like it! As you may know, banana bread is one of my absolute favorite treats when it comes to simple cake recipes. Whether it is made with chocolate or just plain, I can always devour a yummy banana bread! So I wanted to share the fluffy and soft version of my whole-grain banana bread recipe which is my new favorite! I hope you guys will give it a try because I’m sure everyone will love it, vegan or not!
How to make vegan banana bread
Step 1: Stir together the batter
This vegan banana bread comes together in one-bowl quickly with just a few simple ingredients! First, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, ground almonds, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and cinnamon. Next, mash the ripe bananas and mix the puree with the wet ingredients: plant milk, oil, apple cider vinegar. Then add the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Lastly, fold in chocolate chips if using.
Step 2: Fill the batter into the pan
Finally, fill the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan or just lined with parchment paper. Top with more chocolate chips and bake!
Tips for making the best vegan banana bread
- Which flour can I use? I suggest using all-purpose, wheat or spelt flour, depending on what you have on hand! To make gluten-free vegan banana bread, a gluten-free flour blend 1 to 1 works great in this recipe! If you‘d like using whole grain flour, check out my best healthy Vegan Banana Bread recipe!
- Nut-free: Ground almonds add richness and a delicious nutty flavor to this banana bread. However, if you’re avoiding nuts, simply leave them out and add 40 g more flour and 20 ml more oil instead.
- Bananas: Be sure to use very ripe, brown bananas as they are perfectly soft and add a wonderful natural sweetness to the bread. So keep in mind: the riper, the better!
- Sugar-free: I prefer using raw cane sugar but you can also use another sweetener such as regular white or brown or coconut sugar. Also, maple syrup, rice syrup or date syrup will do!
- Chocolate chips: Feel free to use chocolate chunks or chopped vegan chocolate or make this banana bread completely without chocolate.
- Muffins: This recipe is perfect to make vegan banana bread muffins. Just make sure to reduce the baking time as muffins take only around 25 minutes.
Use your favorite Toppings
Feel free to get creative with the toppings! I kept my vegan banana cake simple and sprinkled it just with some chocolate chips. However, you can also add banana halves, some chopped nuts or seeds or even cinnamon streusel on top. Also, rich chocolate ganache, dairy-free cream cheese frosting or a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce would make a great topping before serving it!
How to store and freeze banana bread
This vegan banana bread cake keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days stored in an airtight container. To store it longer, you can freeze it for up to 1-2 months. Please make sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer bag and include as little air as possible to avoid freezer burn.
My little tip: Slice the loaf before freezing. Then place a piece of parchment paper between the individual slices and stack them up. Transfer the stack to freezer boxes or bags, seal airtight and freeze. So you can remove a slice anytime. Simply let it thaw at room temperature on the counter or in the microwave.
This simple recipe is:
- Soft & fluffy
- Quick and easy to make
- Can be made gluten-free & nut-free
- Topped with chocolate chips
- A simple one-bowl cake recipe
- Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
Looking for more simple one-bowl vegan cake, bread or loaf recipes? Make sure to check out the following:
- Vegan Zebra Marble Cake
- Chocolate Pumpkin Marble Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- Vegan Apple Blondies
- Best Vegan Brownies
If you try this easy vegan banana bread recipe, please leave a comment and rating! Your feedback is always helpful to me and other readers. And if you take a photo of your banana cake and share it on Instagram, please make sure to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Happy baking!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana BreadAuthor:
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
- 1 ½ cup (180 g) all-purpose or wheat or spelt flour or sub gluten-free flour (*see notes)
- ½ cup (60 g) ground almonds no almond flour! (or other ground nuts or sub more flour, if nut-free) *see notes
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon optional
- ¼ cup (60 g) cane sugar or other sugar (*see notes)
- 3 (350 g) large ripe bananas approx. 350 g
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) neutral vegetable oil e.g. canola or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅔ cup (120 g) vegan chocolate chips + more for the topping (optional)
*Note: Be sure to watch the recipe video + check out the step-by-step photos above!
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C). Lightly grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides (*see photos above).
- Whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the bananas with a fork on a plate. Then add the puree to a measuring cup along with the other wet ingredients (non-dairy milk, oil, apple cider vinegar) and stir to combine.
- Now add the banana milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir everything with a whisk or spatula until just combined. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips if using.
- Fill the dough into the prepared pan, smoothing out evenly. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips as desired.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean with a few moist crumbs attached. (If you want a moist banana bread, please do not overbake, or it will get dry and crumbly).
- Let it cool for about 30 minutes. Then carefully lift out of the pan using the parchment overhang. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. (Once it has cooled, it will become easier to slice. Freshly baked warm banana bread is so soft and fluffy that it literally falls apart, but that's how I personally like it best!)
- Storage: The banana bread can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days or for 1-2 months in the freezer.
- Banana Muffins: Feel free to make muffins with this recipe. The baking time is approx. 25 minutes (same oven temperature).
- Gluten-free: You can sub a gluten-free flour blend 1 to 1.
- Nut-free: The ground almonds can be replaced by ground hazelnuts or other nuts. For a nut-free option, you can omit the nuts and add 1/3 cup more regular flour + 1,5 tbsp more oil instead. (Ground nuts contain more fat than normal flour so we need to replace the oil, too!).
- Sugar: Instead of raw cane sugar, you can also use coconut sugar or regular white or brown sugar. Maple syrup or date syrup will also work.
- Healthy banana bread: If you want to make the banana bread healthier (with whole grain), you are welcome to look at this recipe.
- Chocolate banana bread: You can find the recipe for the chocolate version here.
- Please read my blog post above for further information on this recipe.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply