This creamy cheese and leek soup is not only quick and easy to make and super delicious, but it’s also a great recipe for birthdays and parties! You only need a few ingredients and a few minutes to make this delicious cheese soup with vegan ground beef!
The Best Cheese and Leek Soup with lots of Protein!
This deliciously creamy cheese and leek soup is a real treat and an absolute classic soup recipe. It consists mainly of fresh leeks simmering with vegan minced meat in a hearty broth, followed by cooking cream and creamy cheese. The combination of the mild, slightly sweet taste of the leek and the creamy texture of the cheese makes this soup an absolute treat for the palate.
Vegan Alternative to the Classic Cheese Soup with Minced Meat
For all vegetarian and vegan gourmets, here’s a great alternative to the classic cheese and leek soup. Instead of cooking cheese, here we use a vegan mince and dairy-free crème fraîche that is just as flavorful, creamy and delicious as the original.
The recipe is prepared in the same way as the classic cheese soup with ground beef, but the cheese and meat are replaced with vegan sour cream and a minced alternative. The market now offers a variety of plant-based alternatives specifically designed for such dishes. Let your creativity run wild and try different varieties to suit your individual tastes.
Ingredients for the Cheesy Leek Soup
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable oil (e.g. canola or sunflower oil)
- Vegan mince
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Dairy-free cooking cream (e.g., soy or oat cuisine)
- Vegan crème fraîche (or vegan sour cream / dairy-free cream cheese or homemade cashew ricotta)
- Mix of herbs (e.g. thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley)
- Nutritional yeast flakes (or vegan parmesan)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
To serve (optional)
- Fresh parsley
As always, I recommend watching the recipe video and checking out these step-by-step instructions first. You can then find the full recipe with the exact quantities in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Sauté vegetables and vegan mince.
First, cut the leek in half lengthwise, cut into strips and wash thoroughly. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat the oil in a large pot or deep frying pan. Cook the vegan mince for about 3 minutes. Next, add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add the leek and cook briefly.
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients and simmer.
Season with salt, pepper, herbs, nutmeg and nutritional yeast flakes. Now add tamari, vegetable stock and cooking cream and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. Then stir in vegan crème fraîche and bring to the boil again. Taste and season if necessary.
Step 3: Serve!
Serve the soup in bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with fresh baguette or crusty garlic bread, if desired. Enjoy your meal!
- Since there is no frying loss with vegan mince, you need about 1/3 smaller quantity than in classic recipes.
- You can replace the vegan mince with 120 g of sunflower or soy granules. Soak in hot vegetable broth beforehand according to package instructions. Then drain, squeeze, season well and fry.
- It is best to use fresh leeks to get the best flavor.
- If you like it more colorful and spicy, you can add other vegetables or spices such as carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, chili, spices, etc. as you like.
- For a “cheesier soup” you could stir in some vegan shredded cheese at the end.
- To add a touch of spiciness, you could add some curry powder, hot paprika or cayenne pepper.
- For a little crunch, sprinkle your soup with croûtons or roasted chickpeas, toasted sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or pine nuts.
Vegan cheese soup is the perfect appetizer or side dish for many hearty meals! It pairs great with comforting soul food dishes like roasted potatoes, hasselback potatoes, croquettes, French fries, mashed potatoes, polenta fries, sweet potato fries, and German pasta pockets.
We also like to eat leek soup as a warming main meal with fresh baguette or crusty oven-roasted bread for dipping.
But also on birthdays, parties or other occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve & Co, mom’s pizza soup and cheese soup are always very popular dishes at the buffet!
The soup is perfect to make ahead and can be reheated well. The soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also freeze it well for 2-3 months.
This Creamy Cheese and Leek Soup recipe is:
- Vegan (dairy-free, lactose-free)
- Quick and easy to make
- Perfect as a side dish or main course for lunch, dinner or at the party buffet!
More soup recipes to try:
- Red Lentil Dahl
- Granny’s Lentil Soup
- Sweet Potato Lentil Stew
- White Bean Stew
- Golden Lentil Soup
- Eggplant Chickpea Stew
- Thai Peanut Ramen Noodle Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Thai Carrot Ginger Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- Mushroom and Rice Soup
If you try this creamy leek soup with vegan mince, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating. And if you take a photo of your vegan cheese soup and share it on Instagram or Facebook, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka so I don’t miss your post! Have fun cooking and bon appétit! 🙂
The Best Vegan Cheese and Leek Soup (simple & delicious)Author:
- 2 medium leeks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil e.g. canola or sunflower oil
- 8.8 oz (250 g) vegan minced meat
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 g) dairy-free cooking cream e.g. soy or oat cuisine or coconut milk
- 5.3 oz (150 g) vegan crème fraîche or vegan sour cream / cream cheese or homemade cashew ricotta
- 1-2 tsp dried herbs e.g. mixture of thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes or vegan parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
To serve (optional)
- fresh parsley
- baguette or homemade bread
*Note: Check out the recipe video + tips + step-by-step pictures above!
- First, cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then cut into strips and wash thoroughly. Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or deep pan. Sauté the vegan mince according to package instructions, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add the leek and sauté briefly. Season with salt, pepper, herbs, nutmeg and nutritional yeast.
- Now deglaze the pan with tamari, vegetable broth and cooking cream and simmer covered for about 10 minutes.
- Then stir in the vegan crème fraîche and bring to the boil again. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve the soup in bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with fresh baguette if desired. You can find more serving ideas here.
- You can replace the vegan mince with 120 g of sunflower mince or soy granules. Soak in hot vegetable broth beforehand according to package directions. Then drain, squeeze, season well(!) and sauté.
- If you like, you can also add other vegetables or flavorful spices such as carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, chili, etc. as desired.
- For a "cheesier soup" you could stir in some vegan shredded cheese at the end.
- For helpful tips as well as storage and freezing instructions or more information about this recipe, read the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.