This vegan cashew ricotta cheese recipe is quick and easy to make with just 5 ingredients in under 3 minutes and the perfect homemade pantry staple! It is naturally gluten-free, soy-free, healthy and a delicious dairy-free ricotta alternative that adds extra nutrition and flavor to your favorite meals!
My favorite quick and easy Cashew Ricotta recipe
There are many ways to make vegan ricotta cheese but this cashew version is my favorite! I’ve already used it in my recipe for vegan dumplings stuffed with spinach and cashew ricotta but you can also find this recipe in my cookbook. Anyway, I thought that this amazing dairy-free ‘cheese’ alternative deserves an extra blog post so you can find it easily at any time!
Almond Tofu Ricotta
Here on the blog, you’ll also find an almond tofu ricotta version using almonds, tofu, and dairy-free yogurt which is also very delicious. Anyway, whatever version you’ll try – it’s so easy to make vegan ricotta from scratch. Furthermore, it’s definitely much better than store-bought alternatives!
Simple, Healthy, Homemade, Versatile
Besides, being simple, healthy, and relatively budget-friendly, this homemade vegan cashew ricotta contains no additives or preservatives, and it’s so delicious! You can use it for any Italian dishes, including pasta, ravioli, tortellini, lasagna, gnocchi, tomato soup, or whatever you love! Plus, it makes a great spread for homemade bagels, vegan Naan, toast, bread baguette, etc. – it’s so versatile!
What is Ricotta?
Ricotta is traditionally a soft Italian cream cheese made from cow, sheep, goat, or Italian water buffalo milk whey leftover from the cheese production. It’s creamier and richer than curd or cottage cheese and a popular cheese variety that can be used for many dishes as a topping, filling, spread, or for gratinating.
Ingredients for Vegan Ricotta
This dairy-free ricotta cheese alternative is made with only a few simple pantry ingredients – you’ll love it! While cashews and water are used as the base to create the richness and creaminess of traditional ricotta, nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor. Lemon juice is required for a little acid so that it comes closer to that traditional tangy flavor of fermented cheese. Furthermore, I’ve also added garlic, salt, and pepper for more flavor. Of course, you can also play around with the flavors and seasonings, adding a pinch of red paprika powder or curry powder or even chili flakes to make it spicier – That’s up to you!
How to make Cashew Ricotta
It takes a few minutes to soak the cashews but you can do this ahead (overnight) or speed this up by boiling the nuts for only 10 minutes on the stovetop. Then simply blend all ingredients together. Finally, serve over your favorite savory meals or refrigerate for future use!
Recipe Variation – Cashew Sour Cream
To make Vegan Sour Cream with this recipe, simply use more water (1 ⅔ cups) and blend the mixture until smooth and creamy. Additionally, you can add 2 tsp of white vinegar and 1 tsp of yellow mustard for a more tangy flavor.
This homemade vegan Cashew Ricotta recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make
- Totally delicious!
How to store?
This cashew ricotta cheese can be stored in an airtight container or sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It is also freezer friendly so you can freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months.
As already mentioned, you can use this cashew ricotta as a dairy-free substitute for traditional ricotta cheese. It’s perfect as a filling, topping, or spread for various dishes, such as:
If you try this vegan cashew ricotta recipe, please leave a comment and a rating on how you liked it! And if you take a picture of your dairy-free ricotta alternative and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka, because I love to see your remakes! Enjoy!
Vegan Cashew RicottaAuthor:
- 1 ⅔ cup (250 g) cashew nuts
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water or more to desired consistency
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes for cheesy flavor
- 1 garlic clove or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of paprika powder optional
*Note: Please watch the recipe video for visual instruction!
- Soak the cashew nuts for 4 hours (or up to overnight). Alternatively, boil them for only 10 minutes to speed this up.
- Then rinse and drain the soaked cashews and place them in a highspeed blender or food processor. Add all remaining ingredients and pulse until you get a ricotta-like texture. (Stop the blender now and then to scrape off the sides as needed.) Taste and adjust salt and pepper or add more water to desired consistency as needed.
- To make Vegan Sour Cream, use 1 ⅔ cups of water and blend the mixture until smooth and creamy. Additionally, you can also add two tsp of white vinegar and one tsp of yellow mustard for more tangy flavor if you like.
- You can also try my almond tofu ricotta recipe.
- Storage: This cashew ricotta can be stored in an airtight container or sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It is also freezer friendly so you can freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months.
- Please read my blog post above for tips & helpful information, including serving suggestions.
- This recipe was first published in 2018 and can be also found in my cookbook.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply