This creamy vegan Thai-inspired carrot ginger soup with roasted spicy curry cashews is a delicious immune-boosting recipe that’s easy to make in just 20 minutes. It’s flavorful, simple, healthy, and low on calories!
The Best Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
If you’re looking for a creamy, plant-based soup that’s loaded with nutrients, vitamins, and flavor – this carrot soup is the perfect recipe!
You’ll be amazed that this light and healthy soup is made with simple pantry staple ingredients, and it’s budget-friendly, too. You can serve it as an entree, side dish, or main course along with your favorite bread, fresh salad, or any holiday dish you love. Thanks to the warming curry spices this carrot ginger soup has a slightly Indian flavor so it goes especially well with vegan naan bread and Indian dishes.
Simple, healthy, and delicious!
What I also love about this soup is that it has the perfect balance of spicy, salty, and sweet. It’s made with carrots, potatoes, ginger, garlic, onions, and flavorful spices that are blended with veggie broth and coconut milk into a luxuriously creamy soup. Since carrots go very well with many different flavors, it’s a versatile soup that can be easily adapted with other ingredients, too (see suggestions for recipe variations below).
Easy One-Pot Soup Recipe!
To keep things easier, I cooked this soup on the stove but you could even roast the veggies in the oven if you prefer. If you’ve already tried my roasted pumpkin soup recipe, the method for roasting carrots will be pretty much the same.
Homemade Roasted Curry Cashews
The roasted crunchy curry cashew on top will definitely take this homemade curried carrot soup to the next level! Not to mention, the preparation is super simple and you can do this while your soup simmers or ahead of time in just a few minutes! You can even get creative with the flavors by adding different seasonings, dried herbs, or even chili. The result will be so crunchy and delicious, you’ll never buy store-bought roasted cashew nuts again!
How to Make the Best Carrot Soup
As always I recommend checking out this step-by-step guide and the recipe video first, then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Sauté onions, garlic, and spices.
Start making the flavorful base by sautéing onions in a bit of coconut oil until translucent. Then add garlic, ginger, and aromatic spices and sauté for a further minute. This is an important step that will add flavor to your soup so please do not skip it.
Step 2: Add carrots, potatoes, veggie broth, and simmer.
Now add the carrots and potatoes and sauté briefly to bring out some roasting flavors. Then pour in vegetable broth and simmer covered for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies are soft.
Step 3: Finish the soup and blend.
Once your carrots and potatoes are done cooking, add coconut milk, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to taste. Then transfer everything to a blender and blend until you have a creamy soup. But please be careful as it’s hot!
Alternatively, you could also use an immersion stick blender and blend the soup straight in the pot. However, using a blender yields always ultra-creamy results.
Tip: To bring all the flavors together, you can pour the soup back into the pot after blending. Then place covered on the still warm stove (but with the heat switched off) and leave it there for another 5 minutes.
Step 4: Roast the cashew nuts.
While your soup simmers, prepare the roasted curry cashews for the topping. Simply stir together raw cashews, melted coconut oil, curry powder, paprika powder, and a little salt and pepper as desired. Then place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for about 8-10 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Note: Please keep an eye on your nuts, as they can burn quickly.
Step 5: Garnish and enjoy!
Once your creamy vegan carrot ginger soup and your roasted curry cashews are ready, serve your soup in bowls. Garnish with a swirl of coconut milk or dairy-free yogurt, then top with roasted cashews, shredded coconut, fresh parsley or coriander, and lime wedges. Serve warm and enjoy!
This Creamy Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe is:
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Naturally gluten-free
- Can be made nut-free (by skipping the cashew topping)
- Quick and easy to make
- Can be made in one pot
- Perfect for meal prep or lunch and dinner
- Incredibly delicious!
This recipe is very versatile as you can play around with the flavors and throw in whatever veggies you have in the fridge. Here are some simple carrot soup recipe variations you could try:
- Thai Carrot Soup: If you love Thai food, feel free to add red Thai curry paste – It will add even more flavor!
- Classic Carrot Soup: Carrots and Indian curry spices are a perfect match! However, if you’re not a fan of curry flavors, simply skip the curry powder.
- Don’t like ginger? Ginger is one of the best natural superfoods that boosts your immune system. However, if you don’t like it in your soup, you can leave it out.
- Add more veggies: If you have leftover vegetables to use up, feel free to add them to your soup! Whether sweet potatoes, pumpkin, butternut squash, zucchini, red bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, or green onions – Get creative here!
Can I make this soup without coconut milk?
Yes! Instead of coconut milk, you can also use another dairy-free cream, such as soy, almond, or oat cream. Alternatively, you can even make your own cashew cream by blending 1/3 cup soaked cashews (or cashew butter) + 1/3 cup water until creamy. You can also use other nuts if you like but this will change the taste of your carrot ginger soup.
How long does carrot soup keep?
The soup can be kept covered for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, reheat on the stove or in the microwave. If it’s too thick, simply add a little water or coconut milk to thin it out. You can even freeze the soup for longer storage.
IF YOU LOVE HEALTHY SOUPS, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING RECIPES:
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Yellow Lentil Dal
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Thai Peanut Ramen Noodle Soup
- Mushroom and Rice Soup
If you try this Thai-inspired vegan carrot ginger soup, please leave a comment and rating on how you liked this recipe! And if you take a photo of your healthy soup and share it on Instagram, please make sure to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love to see your photos! Enjoy! 🙂
Creamy Carrot Ginger SoupAuthor:
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 oz (25 g) fresh ginger minced
- 2-3 tsp yellow curry powder
- 17.6 oz (500 g) carrots peeled and cut into pieces
- 4.2 oz (120 g) potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (120 ml) coconut milk full-fat
- 1 tsp red paprika powder
- ⅛ tsp chili powder optional to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice optional
Roasted Curry Cashews
- ¾ cup (100 g) raw cashew nuts
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp red paprika powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Further toppings (optional)
- shredded coconut
- fresh parsley or coriander
*Note: Please watch the recipe video for visual instruction and read the tips above!
Carrot Ginger Soup
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot (or a deep pan) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Then add garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute. Now add curry, paprika, and chili powder and sauté briefly to unfold flavors. Then add the carrots and potatoes and sauté briefly.
- Now pour in the vegetable broth and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for about 15 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are soft enough to mash easily.
- Add the coconut milk, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to taste. Then purée the soup in a blender until creamy or use a stick blender. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (Optional step: To bring the flavors together, leave the creamy soup in the pot covered on the warm stove for another 5 minutes).
Roasted Curry Cashews
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the cashews. Preheat the oven to 338°F (170°C) and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave.
- Put the cashews in a small bowl. Add melted coconut oil, curry powder, paprika powder (and a little salt and pepper as desired), and stir to combine.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for about 8-10 minutes until golden brown, stirring 2 or 3 times. (Note: please keep an eye on the nuts, as they can burn quickly).
- Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with roasted cashews, shredded coconut, fresh parsley or coriander, and lime wedges.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- You can use regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, or even pumpkin or butternut squash. Also, other veggies are a great addition.
- Instead of coconut milk, you can also use another dairy-free cream, such as soy, almond, or oat cream. You can even make your own cashew cream by blending ⅓ cup soaked cashews (or cashew butter) + ⅓ cup water until creamy.
- The soup can be kept covered for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Then, simply reheat on the stove. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
- Nutrition information does not include toppings.
- Please read my blog post for tips regarding recipe variations, and further information.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply