These golden-baked Vegan Broccoli Cheese Tots are delicious, bite-sized, keto Nuggets that are healthy, dairy-free, eggless, and gluten-free. This recipe is a simple but ingenious way to turn veggies into a cheesy low carb treat that even kids will love!
If you have tried my BBQ Cauliflower Wings and Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets recipes, you know that I am a BIG supporter of less-favored veggies and giving them a “cook-over” that can make even the staunchest veggie hater take a bite! These nutrient-packed and super satisfying Broccoli Cheese Nuggets recipe is another example that healthy can be fun and yummy too. Try this certified mom-hack recipe!
Healthy and Delicious Vegan Broccoli Cheese Nuggets
With the universal struggle to get kids – or even adults – eat healthier these days, getting them to eat vegetables voluntarily is always a big win! I’ve learned that one of the best ways to make people eat something they do not like is to change or alter it to something they do like. That is why I am sharing this resourceful way of deconstructing broccoli and turning it into yummy and savory tots, or nuggets, without losing its nutritional elements.
With just a few staple plant-based ingredients, you can effortlessly make these golden morsels filled with broccoli and vegan cheese plus a creamy herb dip that is to die for! The nuggets are baked instead of fried to keep from using too much oil. I baked them in the oven but you can also use an air fryer if you have one. Also, I skipped the traditional breadcrumb breading to keep these nuggets low-carb and gluten-free. However, if you want them crispier, you could also bread them like my Cauliflower Nuggets or Tofu Nuggets before baking.
The Creamy Herb-alicious Dip
This recipe comes with a super easy-to-make, herb-infused dip that goes so perfectly with the veggie nuggets. I love how the fresh, tangy flavor and creamy mouthfeel contrast with the crispiness and cheesiness of the baked nuggets. All you have to do is to blend the following ingredients until creamy:
- Soy quark: or vegan mayonnaise
- Garlic: fresh or sub garlic powder
- Parsley: or other herbs you like
- Lemon juice: or lime juice
- Maple syrup: or another sweetener
Then add salt and pepper to taste until you are happy with it. It won’t take you 3 minutes to get this one on the table!
Ingredients for Broccoli Cheese Nuggets and Alternatives
- Veggies & herbs: I used broccoli florets, onion, garlic, and parsley. Aside from parsley, you can also use or add other herbs like dried oregano, Italian seasoning, or dried basil.
- Dry Ingredients: A bit of chickpea flour and flax flour are used in the recipe. As an alternative, for flaxseed four, you can use a little less ground psyllium husks for binding.
- Non-dairy Cheese: Soy quark (or silken firm tofu), nutritional yeast flakes, and vegan cheese make this recipe super cheesy and savory! If you do not have nutritional yeast flakes, you can also use vegan parmesan as a substitute.
- Salt and pepper: to taste.
- Oil for frying: I used canola oil. But feel free to use any neutral, high smoke point cooking oil you have on hand.
How to make Vegan Broccoli Cheese Tots
As always, I recommend checking out the recipe video and this step-by-step instruction first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: prep the veggies
Start by steaming the broccoli florets for about 8-10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender but still crunchy. Then rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic in a pan.
Step 3 : make nuggets
Put the broccoli together with the fried onion-garlic mixture and the parsley into a food processor and pulse into a coarse mixture. Then add the mixture into a large bowl. Add soy quark or tofu, chickpea flour, flax flour, nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper and mix everything together. Then fold in the vegan cheese. Shape the broccoli mixture into 18 tater tots and preheat the oven to 392 °F (200 °C).
Step 4: bake
Place the nuggets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray them with some oil and bake for approx. 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Blend all ingredients for the herb dip until creamy. Serve your vegan broccoli cheese tater tots with the dip, ketchup and lemon slices. Garnish with some sesame seeds and mint if desired.
What dipping sauce can I else use?
You can use whatever dips and sauces you like depending on your preference. If you like a bit of heat, you can try my vegan Sweet Chili Sauce or Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. Or if you want to double up on the cheese, you can also try making a Vegan Cheese Sauce. However, you can also keep it simple and serve these veggie nuggets just with some ketchup and Vegan Mayo, Cashew Dip or Guacamole.
Make ahead and storing Broccoli Tots
This recipe is actually great for making ahead as you can store a big batch in the freezer for later use, just like regular nuggets. Dust the shaped broccoli nuggets or tater tots with cornstarch, then place them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet or wooden board. Freeze them this way until solid, about 1-2 hours. Then transfer them in a freezer-friendly container or ziploc bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can bake them frozen once you are ready to have some. Just consider that they will take a little longer instructed.
These Vegan Broccoli Cheese Nuggets are:
- Dairy-free and Egg-less
- Gluten-free possible
- Healthier than traditional nuggets
- Super cheesy
- Ideal as snacks or appetizers!
- The perfect low-carb broccoli version of traditional tater tots!
More vegan low carb recipes to try
- Vegan Low Carb Keto Bread
- Veggie Noodles with Peanut Sauce
- Spinach Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Vegan Feta
- Zucchini Involtini Rolls with Cashew Ricotta
- Veggie Hummus Wraps
- Vegan Cevapcici (Chickpea Sausages)
- The Best Vegan Omelet
- Tofu Scramble (Vegan Scrambled Eggs)
- Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets
- Broccoli Salad with Vegan Yogurt Dressing
If you try these vegan broccoli cheese tots, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your healthy veggie snack bites and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Enjoy cooking! 🙂
Baked Broccoli Cheese Nuggets (Vegan)Author:
- 10.6 oz broccoli florets
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ bunch fresh parsley 25 g chopped, or sub other herbs
- ⅓ cup soy quark 80 g, or silken firm tofu
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour 16 g
- 1 tbsp flax flour 8 g or 2 tsp ground psyllium husks
- 2 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast flakes 10 g or vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup vegan cheese 80 g, grated
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp canola oil for frying
For the herb dip
- 1 cup soy quark or silken firm tofu
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- ½ bunch fresh parsley 25 g or other herbs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
To serve (optional)
- sesame seeds
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step photos in the blog post above!
- Steam the broccoli florets in a steamer (or pot with a steamer basket) for about 8-10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender but still crunchy. Then rinse and pat dry well using paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Put the broccoli together with the fried onion-garlic mixture and the parsley into a food processor and pulse into a coarse mixture (but please do not blend it until creamy!).
- Then add the mixture into a large bowl. Add the soy quark (or tofu), chickpea flour, flax flour, nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper and mix everything together. Then fold in the vegan cheese.
- Shape the mixture into 18 nuggets of 30 g each and preheat the oven to 392 °F (200 °C).
- Place the nuggets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray them with cooking spray (or drizzle with oil) and bake for approx. 15-20 minutes until golden brown (read notes for a crispier option).
- Let cool for about 5 minutes (while the nuggets become a little firmer).
- Meanwhile, blend all ingredients for the herb dip.
- Serve the nuggets with the dip, ketchup and lemon slices. Garnish with some sesame seeds and mint if desired. Enjoy!
- I skipped the traditional breadcrumb breading to keep these nuggets low-carb and gluten-free. But if you want them to be crispier, you could also bread them like my Cauliflower Nuggets or Tofu Nuggets before baking.
- You could also bake them in an air fryer if you have one.
- Please read the blog post above for more information such as storing and freezing instructions.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply