Learn how to make the best Vegan Bologna Sausage Salad without meat and eggs that tastes better than the original German Wurst Salad recipe!
Grandmas Wurst Salad recipe with Vegan Bologna Sausage
Grandma’s wurst salad recipe is a traditional German dish that’s very popular with many people! Whether you serve it on bread, rolls, toast or as a side dish for a barbecue party, this delicious hearty salad is very versatile and perfect as a spread. By making the vegan bologna sausage salad from scratch, it not only tastes much better than the original, but is also 100% plant-based, meatless, dairy-free and cholesterol-free!
What is Wurst Salad?
Wurst Salad or „Fleischwurstsalat“ is a classic German dish that is often served as a spread or side dish. Traditionally, Fleischsalat consists of finely sliced or diced meat, such as bologna sausage, Lyoner or ham, mixed with mayonnaise, onions, pickles and spices. It is a hearty salad with a spicy taste.
However, there are also vegan or vegetarian versions that use meat substitutes such as soy products or seitan or “vurst”. The salad can be served on bread, pretzels or as a side dish with various dishes.
This homemade vegan meat salad recipe is quick and easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. It is very versatile, because you can also swap out the ingredients to your liking. You can find some suggestions for variations here.
- vegan bologna sausage (or smoked tofu)
- pickled cucumbers
- red onion (or shallots)
- chives (or spring onions)
- dill (optional)
- vegan mayonnaise (or cashew mayonnaise)
- yellow mustard (medium hot)
- agave syrup (or sugar to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
As always, I recommend checking out the recipe video and these step-by-step instructions first. Then you can find the full recipe with the exact quantities in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Prep and chop all ingredients.
First, slice the vegan meat sausage into thin strips. Finely dice the pickled cucumbers. Finely chop the onion, chives and dill. Then put everything together in a bowl.
Step 2: Combine everything and season.
Now add the vegan mayo, yellow mustard and agave syrup and mix everything together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on homemade bread and enjoy!
The recipe can of course be varied with other ingredients, spices and herbs. Here are some suggestions:
- Vegan mayonnaise: I always make it myself with my homemade mayo recipe, but you can also buy it. Alternatively, you can use vegan sour cream or creme fraiche.
- Dairy-free yogurt: to make the salad cream lighter and lower in fat you can also use vegan Skyr or another creamy dairy-free yogurt or quark.
- Vegetables: In addition to cucumbers, other pickled or fresh vegetables such as carrots, celery, radishes or capers are also suitable.
- Fruit: For a fruity note you can add mandarins, pineapple, mango, apples, grapes or other fruits of your choice.
- Herbs: I like to use chives and dill, but feel free to use other herbs like parsley, wild garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, etc. to give the salad a different aromatic touch.
- Spices: If you want to give the meatless salad a different flavor, feel free to add your favorite spices or seasoning pastes like curry powder, paprika, chili, tomato paste, curry paste, etc.
Since homemade Vegan Wurst Salad does not contain real bologna sausage, eggs or classic mayonnaise, it basically has a longer shelf life than the traditional recipe. Stored in an airtight container or sealed jar, it will keep for a good 5 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze this salad?
It is generally possible to freeze vegan bologna sausage salad, but I would advise against it. If you freeze the salad and then thaw it, the consistency will change and it will lose flavor.
This Vegan Wurst Salad Recipe is:
- Vegan, Vegetarian
- Naturally gluten-free and nut-free
- Without additives
- Without preservatives
- With crunchy cucumbers
- Totally delicious
- Better than the classic!
- Perfect as a side dish for many vegan and vegetarian dishes!
More Vegan Salad Recipes to Try
- Curried Rice Salad
- The Best Pasta Salad
- Grandma’s Potato Salad
- Lentil Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Vietnamese Noodle Salad
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- Green Goddess Salad
- Turkish Bulgur Salad (Kisir)
- Chinese Cucumber Salad
- Korean Rice Noodle Salad
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Chickpea Couscous Salad
- Thai Peanut Noodle Salad
If you try this vegan bologna sausage salad recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your delicious spread and share it on Instagram or Facebook, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka so I don’t miss your post! Have fun trying it out! 🙂
Vegan Bologna Salad (German Wurst Salad)Author:
*Note: Feel free to check out the recipe video + step-by-step pictures above!
- Slice the vegan meat sausage into thin strips. Finely dice the pickled cucumbers. Finely chop the onion, chives and dill. Then put everything together in a bowl.
- Add the vegan mayo, mustard and agave syrup and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on homemade bread and enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.