Learn how to make the BEST Homemade Pizza Dough with this simple step by step recipe + video! The method is easy but yields the perfect American pizza crust with a thick, soft, and chewy interior and a nice crispy, golden brown exterior. The dough is also great to make ahead and freeze in batches!
Pizzzaaaa! I think there’s hardly anyone who does not like a good pizza, right ?! Especially, when it’s made with the best homemade pizza dough that’s lovely thick and fluffy “American Style”, I could really get into it!
The Best Homemade pizza dough
Sometimes I also make an easy ‘spelt pizza‘ or if I want something that’s healthier, I opt for a gluten-free low-carb ‘cauliflower pizza‘. Usually, I have always a batch of prepared pizza dough in the freezer. So I can easily thaw it at any time when I crave pizza. The yeast dough is absolutely perfect for freezing – you’ll love it! For example, if you want to eat a pizza for lunch, you can simply take it out of the freezer in the morning and let it thaw at room temperature. Really handy, right?!
Furthermore, you can always vary the pizza toppings to your liking. Not only do I love a good classic Italian pizza with fresh tomatoes, vegan mozzarella, and olives but also a green pizza with flavorful garlic, healthy spinach, and vegan non-dairy cheese. However, if you are not vegan, feel free to use normal dairy cheese.
“American” pizza dough – thick, chewy and fluffy!
Yeast is essential if you want the pizza dough to be really thick and fluffy. For the preparation of yeast dough, start by dissolving the yeast in water and a bit of sugar and set it aside for a few minutes. In the meantime, whisk together the flour and salt in a bowl. Once the yeast mixture starts to get foamy, add it to the flour mixture along with the olive oil. Now mix the ingredients until the liquid has been absorbed by the flour. Then transfer to a floured working surface and knead with your hands (or use a mixer) until a smooth dough forms.
Finally, place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and allow to rise in a warm spot. The yeast likes it cuddly and needs a warm area to rise. Once the dough has doubled in size, it’s ready to use. However, if you want to bake the dough the next day, simply place the bowl in the refrigerator overnight.
How to make the perfect crispy pizza!
If you want a crispy pizza, I highly recommend using a pizza stone. It extracts moisture from the dough during baking, which helps to make the pizza dough perfectly crispy. Simply preheat the pizza stone in the oven and place your best pizza dough straight on top. If you don‘t have a pizza stone, you can use a regular baking sheet. Just be sure to preheat it to high heat in your oven before placing the dough on top. Once hot, line it with parchment paper and place your prepared pizza with desired toppings on top. Then put it in your oven on the middle rack and bake!
Anyway, if you fancy a homemade thick and fluffy BEST “American pizza”, this dough recipe is what you are looking for!
If you try this best vegan pizza dough recipe, please leave a comment and a rating on how it turned out! And if you take a picture of your crispy pizza and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka, because I love seeing your remakes! Happy cooking!
The Best Pizza DoughAuthor:
*Note: Please watch the recipe video for visual instruction!
- Mix water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl and allow to rest for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Form a mold in the center, then pour in the foamy yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix with a wooden spoon or chopsticks to combine. Then transfer to a floured working surface and knead with your hands (or use a mixer) for about 10 minutes, until a smooth dough forms.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and leave to rise for at least an hour in a warm spot.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, divide it into two portions. Cover again and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven with a pizza stone or baking sheet to 428°F (220°C).
- Stretch and roll out the dough on a floured work surface to be about 0.6-inch (1,5 cm) thick.
- If you want a softer dough, you can use plant-based milk instead of water.
- You can store the dough in the refridgerator for up to 12 hours.
- You can also wrap the dough tightly in cling foil, then place in a freezer bag and freeze for future use.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.