Pizzzaaaa! I think there’s hardly anyone who does not like pizza, right ?! Especially if it’s homemade, pizza tastes best! And if the dough is also really nice thick and fluffy (“American Style”), then I could really get into it!
Homemade pizza really tastes the best!
Sometimes I also make a easy ‘spelt pizza‘ or if I want only vegetables I make a gluten-free low-carb ‘cauliflower pizza‘. Usually, I have always prepared yeast dough in the freezer. So I can easily defrost it, when I crave pizza. The dough is namely perfect for freezing. For example, if I want to eat a pizza at lunchtime, you can just take it out of the freezer in the morning and let it thaw at room temperature. Really handy, right ?! In addition, I can always top it as desired and individual taste. For example, classic Italian with fresh tomatoes and olives or in a green version with garlic, spinach, and vegan non-dairy cheese. If you are not vegan, you can of course also use dairy cheese.
“American” pizza dough – thick and fluffy!
Yeast is needed to make the pizza dough really thick and fluffy. For the preparation of yeast dough, yeast is first dissolved in water and a bit of sugar. Then the water and the yeast are mixed with oil, salt and flour. Next, the dough is kneaded well on a floured work surface and allowed to rise on a warm place. The yeast likes it cuddly and needs heat to work. Incidentally, if you prefer baking the dough next day, you can simply store it in the fridge after one hour.
How to make a crispy pizza!
If you want a crispy pizza, a pizza stone is perfect. It extracts moisture from the dough when baking, which makes the pizza particularly crispy. Simply preheat the pizza stone in the oven and place the pizza directly on top for baking. If you don‘t have a pizza stone, you can also heat a baking tray at highest heat on the floor of your oven. But for baking the pizza you should place the baking tray with the pizza on top on the middle rail.
So if you fancy a homemade thick and fluffy “American” pizza, then this recipe might be just what you are looking for!
If you tried the recipe, I would appreciate a comment. You can also post a picture on Instagram and link it to @biancazapatka, so I can see your great creations.
The Best Pizza Dough
- Mix water, yeast and sugar first and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Then mix flour with salt in a large bowl. Press a hollow in the center, fill in olive oil and knead in from the edge with some flour.
- Add the yeast mixture and knead the dough well, at least 10 minutes. Then set the dough aside for about 10 minutes and knead well again with your hands. Cover the dough and leave to stand for at least an hour in a warm place.
- For 2 pizzas divide the dough into two parts and let stand again for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven with the pizza stone (or baking tray) at the highest heat (my oven makes 250 degrees Celsius).
- Strech the dough on a floured work surface (it should be under 1,5 cm thick).
- Then top with toppings as desired, sprinkle the crust with a bit of olive oil if you like and bake on the pizza stone or on a greased baking tray for about 8-10 minutes.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- If you want a softer dough, you can use (plant-based) milk instead of water.
- You can store the dough in the fridge for about 12 hours.
- You can also wrap the dough in cling foil and freeze.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.