This creamy vegan sweet potato soup with carrots, ginger and coconut milk is a delicious, healthy recipe that’s quick and easy to make. Served with crusty roasted bread, this creamy soup makes the perfect appetizer for Christmas dinner or any other day!
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
If you’re still looking for an appetizer recipe for your vegan Christmas dinner, this sweet potato soup with crusty oven roasted bread is perfect! Not only does it look beautiful, but it’s also packed with nutrients and vitamins and tastes absolutely delicious!
Of course, the soup is not only delicious during Christmas holidays, because it is perfect for any day when you feel like a warm, light and cozy meal. If you like my potato leek soup, pumpkin soup or carrot ginger soup, this sweet potato soup is a great alternative!
Ingredients for this recipe
To make sweet potato soup, you only need a few simple pantry staple ingredients. These are:
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut milk
- Orange (the juice of it)
- Spices: Paprika powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Roasted bread: baguette or other white bread and some olive oil
How to make Sweet potato soup with crusty bread
As always, I recommend checking out this step-by-step instruction and the recipe video first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook the vegetables
Heat the coconut oil in a large pot and sauté the onion until translucent. Then add garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute. Now add sweet potatoes and carrots and roast briefly.
Now pour in the vegetable broth and bring everything to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Step 2: Season and blend
Then add coconut milk, the juice of one orange, paprika powder and chili powder and blend the soup with an immersion stick blender or in a highspeed blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Toast bread
While the soup is cooking, you can toast the bread in the oven. To do this, simply slice baguette or any other bread you like. Then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with a little olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven at 392 °F (200 °C) for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
Step 4: Garnish and serve
Serve the sweet potato soup in bowls and garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk as well as peanuts, sesame seeds, pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley or other toppings you like. Serve with the crusty bread and enjoy!
Can I make this soup without coconut milk?
Of course! Instead of coconut milk, you can use another dairy-free cream, such as soy, almond or oat cooking cream. Alternatively, you can make homemade cashew cream by blending ½ cup (80 g) of soaked cashews (or cashew butter) + ⅔ cup (160 ml) of water until creamy. If you like, you can use other nuts, but this will change the taste of your cream soup.
Personally, I love this vegan sweet potato soup with full-fat coconut milk best because it gives the soup a delicious, exotic flavor!
How to store the soup?
The soup can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When you want to serve it, simply reheat it on the stove or in the microwave. If it is too thick, just add a little water or coconut milk to thin it out. Feel free to freeze your soup for longer storage.
This creamy vegan sweet potato soup is:
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Naturally gluten-free
- Quick and easy
- A simple one-pot soup recipe
- Perfect for Meal Prep, lunch or dinner.
- Incredibly delicious!
More easy vegan soup recipes
- Red Lentil Dahl
- Thai Carrot Ginger Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Thai Peanut Ramen Noodle Soup
- Mushroom and Rice Soup
If you try this easy creamy sweet potato carrot soup recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you share a photo of your creamy soup on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Happy cooking! 🙂
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato SoupAuthor:
- 22.9 oz (650 g) sweet potatoes 1 ½ large or 4 medium
- 10.6 oz (300 g) carrots 5 medium
- 1 large onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 inch fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 ½ cup (600 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- 1 orange the juice of it
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp chili powder optional
- salt & pepper to taste
Roasted bread (optional)
- ½ baguette sliced, or other bread
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp coconut milk *see notes for options
- peanuts and sesame seeds or other seeds/nuts
- pomegranate seeds
- parsley or other fresh herbs
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step pictures at the top of the post!
- Peel and roughly chop sweet potatoes and carrots. Peel and dice onion. Peel and finely chop garlic and ginger.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and sauté the diced onion for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a further minute. Then add sweet potatoes and carrots and fry briefly.
- Now pour in the vegetable broth and bring everything to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bread slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with a little olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven at 392 °F (200 °C) for about 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy. (The baking time varies depending on the type of bread and the thickness of the slices.)
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the coconut milk, the juice of one orange, paprika powder and chili powder and blend the soup with an immersion stick blender or in a highspeed blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the sweet potato soup in bowls and garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, peanuts, sesame seeds, pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley or other toppings of choice.
- Serve with crispy oven bread and enjoy!
- Instead of coconut milk, you can use another dairy-free cream, such as soy, almond or oat cooking cream. Alternatively, you can make homemade cashew cream by blending ½ cup (80 g) of soaked cashews (or cashew butter) + ⅔ cup (160 ml) of water until creamy.
- More information about the recipe, including tips for storing and freezing are mentioned in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.