This delicious vegan strawberry chocolate cake is super easy to make and tastes like the yogurt strawberry chocolate bar “Yogurette”, although it’s eggless and dairy-free! Consisting of moist chocolate cake layers with fluffy stracciatella cream and lots of fresh juicy strawberries, this layer cake is guaranteed to convince everyone!
The Best Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Cake
Since my Raspberry Yogurette Cake with stracciatella cake layers was so delicious, in keeping with strawberry season, I made a classic yogurette cake with fluffy chocolate cake layers, whipped stracciatella cream and lots of fresh juicy strawberries. This gateau turned out so unbelievably delicious, I wanted to share this recipe here on the blog! I am sure that one or the other will be happy about this easy vegan layer cake recipe, because it’s easier to make than you may think!
No one will believe that the cake is completely egg-free, butter-free and dairy-free if you don’t tell them.
Strawberries and Cream + Chocolate = Love
By the way, the taste of the cake reminds me not only of Yogurette, but also of a mole cake (German Maulwurfkuchen) with strawberries instead of bananas and cherries. I will bake that soon too!
Anyway, this delicious strawberry chocolate cake is not only easy to make and super delicious, but also very versatile and perfect for any occasion. Whether it’s for a birthday, a summer party, a picnic, a wedding or any other celebration – you don’t have to wait for the next holiday, because this yogurette cake is just always a hit!
My vegan chocolate sponge cake recipe has been tried countless times and is definitely sure to succeed – It turns out wonderfully fluffy, super moist and absolutely delicious! If you do not feel like chocolate cake, however, you can also bake a vanilla sponge cake or another cake like nut cake, lemon cake or almond cake. Here you have the choice like in the ice cream parlor! 😀
Instead of strawberries, you can of course use other berries such as raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries or currants. Also fruits like cherries, peaches, nectarines, bananas or apricots are suitable for this recipe. Just make sure that the fruit is fresh. Frozen or canned fruit would make the whipped cream and cake soggy.
Ingredients for the Yogurette Cake
Chocolate sponge cake:
- Flour: all-purpose flour, wheat flour, spelt flour or gluten-free flour can be used. Light flours will make the sponge cake fluffier than whole wheat flour.
- Cocoa powder: for the chocolate flavor.
- Baking powder: to make the cake rise.
- Sugar: type of choice.
- Salt: just a pinch.
- Warm water: or plant milk.
- Coffee: optional, to make the chocolate flavor more intense.
- Vegetable oil: such as canola oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil.
- Apple cider vinegar: or white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Vegan cream cheese: or another alternative with similar consistency like dairy-free mascarpone.
- Vegan whipping cream: or another whippable dairy-free cream.
- Powdered sugar: to sweeten.
- San-apart: or another cream firming agent like cornstarch or cream of tartar (optional).
- Grated chocolate: or finely chopped chocolate.
- Strawberries: or other fruit as suggested here.
As always, I recommend checking out these step-by-step instructions and the recipe video first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Bake the chocolate cake
First, prepare the chocolate sponge cake batter for 2 cake layers according to this recipe. First sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl. Then add sugar and salt and whisk together. In a container, combine water, coffee, oil and apple cider vinegar, then add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Divide the batter between the baking pans and bake at 356 °F (180 °C) for approx. 45 minutes, until a chopstick comes out clean. Then allow to cool completely.
Step 3: Make the stracciatella cream
Now chop your strawberries and make the cream. In a mixing bowl, beat the vegan whipping cream with 1.5 tsp San-apart until stiff. In another container, mix the vegan cream cheese with 1.5 tsp San-apart and powdered sugar until creamy. Then gently fold in the whipped cream and finally fold in the grated chocolate.
Step 4: Assemble the cake
Place a chocolate layer on a cake plate and spread a thick layer of cream evenly on top. Spread the finely chopped strawberries on top and gently press them into the cream. Place the other cake layer on top and spread a thick layer of cream and the remaining strawberries on top. Spread the sides of the cake with the remaining cream. Finally, you can decorate your yogurette cake with daisies or other toppings as you like! Refrigerate until ready to serve to make the cake more sliceable, then enjoy!
The Strawberry Chocolate Cake can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, depending on how stable the cream is.
Both decorated layered cakes and just the sponge cake layers without cream or frosting can be frozen without any problems. Remaining cake pieces are best wrapped carefully with plastic wrap first and then placed in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. To thaw the cake pieces, simply leave them on the counter for 1-2 hours or place them in the refrigerator overnight.
Can I bake the cake gluten-free?
Of course! The vegan chocolate cake can be made with a gluten-free flour blend too!
This Vegan Strawberry and Cream Chocolate Cake is:
- Can be made gluten-free
- Versatile & customizable
- Soft and fluffy
- Fruity, moist and creamy
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Totally delicious!
- The perfect spring and summer cake!
If you try this easy yogurette cake recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a picture of your strawberry chocolate cake and share it on Instagram or Facebook, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Happy baking and bon appétit 🙂 .
Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Cake "Yogurette-Style"Author:
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
Chocolate Cake Layers
- Bake the chocolate sponge cake for 2 cake layers according to this recipe. Then allow to cool completely.
Strawberry Stracciatella Cream
- Finely dice 250 g strawberries for the filling and quarter, halve or leave whole the remaining strawberries for the topping, depending on their size.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the dairy-free whipping cream with 1.5 tsp San-apart until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix the vegan cream cheese with 1.5 tsp San-apart and powdered sugar until creamy. Then briefly mix in the whipped cream and finally fold in the grated chocolate.
Assemble the Cake
- Place a chocolate layer on a cake plate and spread a thick layer of cream evenly on top. Spread the finely chopped strawberries on top and gently press them into the cream.
- Place the other cake layer on top and spread a thick layer of cream and the remaining strawberries on top. Spread the sides of the cake with the remaining cream.
- Decorate the cake with daisies and chill until ready to serve.
- Cake Layers: you can also make this cake with a vanilla sponge cake or other cake layers such as nut cake, lemon cake or almond cake.
- Strawberries: You can also use other berries like raspberries, blackberries, currants or cherries.
- Storage: leftover cake pieces can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, depending on how stable the cream is. You can also freeze leftover cake pieces as instructed here.
- More helpful information about the recipe, including tips on make ahead, storing, freezing, and ingredients are mentioned in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.