This Homemade Spinach Tortillas Recipe is a step-by-step guide showing you how to make easy Spinach Tortillas to use for vegan quesadillas, tacos, wraps, burritos and more! This kind of Mexican flatbread is healthy, delicious & can be made gluten-free too!
Homemade Spinach Tortillas Recipe
I really love simple recipes using tortillas, such as easy vegan quesadillas or burrito samosas. Not only because these dishes are super easy but they are also totally delicious and perfect if you want a quick meal or snack. Usually, I keep it simple and use corn tortillas or regular wheat tortillas from the supermarket. But sometimes I also chose gluten-free tortillas, which are a great option too.
However, since my homemade spinach pasta was so delicious with its fresh flavor and impressive green color, I wanted to try spinach tortillas as well. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find them in the supermarket, so I came up with the idea of making my own Homemade Spinach Tortillas. And when I asked you in my Instagram-Story’s if you want the recipe, there was 90% for „yes“, so here’s the recipe for you, guys!
Easy Spinach Tortillas from scratch
Making Homemade Spinach Tortillas is really super easy! Also, easier than making homemade pasta or scallion pancakes, even though I absolutely love these foods too! You only need 5 ingredients to make this easy flatbread recipe. It’s just flour, baking powder, spinach, oil, and salt.
How to make Homemade Tortillas (Mexican flatbread)
Start to sauté the spinach until welted or simply thaw frozen spinach. Then add to a blender along with the oil and salt and blend into a spinach purée. Secondly, combine flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add the spinach purée, mix everything together with your hands and knead until a smooth dough forms, Which takes about 5 minutes. Then shape the dough into a ball, cover with a kitchen towel or wrap in foil and let chill for 15-20 minutes.
After the waiting time, divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions, depending on the size of Tortilla you want. Then shape each part into a ball and flatten with a rolling pin into an 8-/10-inch disc. If the dough sticks to the surface, you can dust the work surface with a little flour. However, I didn’t need any additional flour.
How to cook Tortillas
The great thing about this Homemade Spinach Tortillas Recipe is that not only the preparation is pretty easy but also the cooking time is quick. Simply cook the tortilla in a skillet for 1-3 minutes or until brown spots appear. You can either roll out all of your spinach tortillas first and then cook them. Or you can cook one while rolling out the next one. This will definitely save a little time but both options will do!
How to store Homemade Tortillas
Another great thing is that you can use these Spinach Tortillas immediately or wrap them in foil and store in the refrigerator for later. However, they also freeze well, so this Homemade Spinach Tortillas Recipe is also perfect for meal-prep! If you prepare more ahead, you can always make a quick and easy Mexican Tortilla dish in no time! Honestly, I am a big fan of keeping foods ready well in advance. And I also do this with Ravioli, Gnocchi, Pasta, Dumplings, and even more meals.
How to make Gluten-free Spinach Tortillas?
To make gluten-free Spinach Tortillas, simply swap the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour. If using a gluten-free flour blend which can place the regular flour 1:1, the preparation will be the same. To be sure, just check the information stated on the package of the type of flour you use. Anyways, it is often slightly more difficult to roll gluten-free Tortillas but you can roll the tortilla between two pieces of foil or parchment, making it easier.
Mexican Recipes for Spinach Tortillas
Baked quesadillas and tacos
There are many ways you can use Homemade Spinach Tortillas. You can, for example, make crispy vegan Quesadillas, Tacos, or Burritos with your favorite filling. I like a Mexican inspired vegetable filling with black beans, corn, paprika, and vegan cheese best for these spinach quesadillas. Usually, I cook quesadillas in a pan until crispy but these vegan Quesadillas, you can see on the pictures are baked. Simply fill and fold them, brush with a little oil and bake the tortilla for about 6 minutes. Then flip each over and bake for another 6-7 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Burritos and wraps
Another great idea is to fill the tortilla flatbread with vegan egg salad and wrap into a burrito. Or make a spinach wrap with cashew cheese. You could also make tortilla chips out of them and serve with dips like Guacamole, Avocado Aioli, Hummus, Herb dip or Cashew Cream.
If you like this Homemade Spinach Tortillas Recipe, you may also like my Scallion Pancakes, which is also a kind of flatbread. Or maybe you would prefer my Mexican Tortilla Casserole or my Mexican stuffed Sweet Potato Skins? Anyways, if you try anything, please leave me a comment below sharing how it turned out for you! And if you take a photo of your dish and share it on Instagram, please do not forget to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka , so I won’t miss your post! Happy cooking!
Homemade Spinach TortillasAuthor:
- 7 oz (200 g) spinach 200g, fresh or frozen*
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil 60ml
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) salt
- 3 cups (360 g) all-purpose or spelt flour or sub gluten-free flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Rinse the spinach and add it damp to the skillet. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Then transfer into a colander, drain and run under cold water. (*Or simply thaw frozen spinach).
- Add the spinach into a blender along with the oil and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Place the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add spinach puree and a little water (*see recipe notes. I added 1/4 cup). Mix to combine with your hands and knead until a soft dough forms, about 5 minutes. (If the dough seems to dry, add a little more water. If it's too sticky, add a little more flour).
- Shape dough is into a ball, cover (or wrap in foil), and chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions, depending of your desired Tortilla size.
- Dust a work surface with a little flour, if needed. Form each part into a ball and, using a rolling pin, flatten to make a 8-/10-inch disc.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook the tortilla for 1-2 minutes or until brown spots appear. Then flip and cook from the other side.
- To make gluten-free Tortillas, I recommend using a gluten-free flour blend 1:1.
- The amount of water may vary slightly depending on the kind of flour you use and how wet your spinach is.
- Please read my blogpost for further information about how to store and freeze these Tortillas and how you can use them. I’ve also linked some delicious recipe ideas!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.