This creamy vegan Pumpkin Chickpea Curry with Spinach is the perfect comfort food with the best flavor! It makes a quick and easy meal, that is healthy and ready in less than 25 minutes.
There’s nothing quite like a bowl of warming, creamy and delicious curry on a cozy day, right? Since pumpkin season has started, I love adding this healthy vegetable to any meals. Not only it tastes delicious as an ingredient for pasta dishes, such as my vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese or my Lentil Pasta with creamy Coconut Sauce but also in addition to rice. I‘m absolutely addicted to my creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto lately, but this vegan Pumpkin Chickpea Curry definitely hits the spot! It tastes so creamy dreamy and delicious that you want to eat it over and over again!
Vegan Pumpkin Chickpea Curry – Ready in 25 minutes!
The best thing about this recipe is that it’s very easy to make. You need only a few simple ingredients, and it’s ready to serve in 25 minutes or less. I added garlic, onions, pumpkin, coconut milk, chickpeas, and spinach. Anyways, there’s no rule, so feel free to add any vegetables you like! I think it’s always good to add some extra healthy veggies, such as eggplants, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, etc.
Make this Curry with Sweet Potatoes
If pumpkin is not in season or available where you live, you could also swap to squash or sweet potatoes. I’ve already made this curry with sweet potato, and it was absolutely delicious! The cooking time is the same, depends a bit on the size of the sweet potato chunks. The smaller you cut your vegetables, the faster they’ll get soft while cooking. Also consider, the longer you cook your curry, the more liquid evaporates, so it thickens and you may need adding some water.
Serve your curry with rice or other grains
You can serve this vegan Pumpkin Chickpea Curry with rice, like I usually do, or serve it with couscous, bulgur, potatoes, corn grits (polenta) or potatoes. It also tastes good with freshly baked bread, such as flatbread, sourdough bread or baguette, or other side dishes.
I hope you guys will love this vegan Pumpkin Curry as much as I do. It is:
- Rich in plant-based protein from chickpeas
- Easy to make
- The best comfort food!
The perfect meal-prep recipe
If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal-prep recipe, this Pumpkin Chickpea Curry is just perfect! You can cook more and store it in a sealed food box in the fridge for the next day to take to work or university or school or just to enjoy a fast precooked lunch or dinner at home. It lasts for up to 5 days in the fridge, but this Curry also freezes well. I think it’s always great to have some prepared delicious homemade meals in stock, just for the case if you don’t have much time or if you’re too lazy to cook.
If you try this easy vegan Pumpkin Chickpea Curry recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you share a photo of your delicious dish on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Happy cooking! 🙂
Pumpkin Chickpea Curry (vegan, easy recipe)Author:
Pumpkin Chickpea Curry:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger minced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 tbsp yellow curry powder or curry paste
- ½ Hokkaido Pumpkin (about 600 g) chopped into chunks
- 5 oz fresh spinach 150 g
- 1x14 oz can chickpeas 265 g rinsed & drained
- 1 can coconut milk 400 ml
- ½ lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Side dish (of choice):
*Note: Watch the recipe video to see how to make this dish!
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan or wok. Fry the pumpkin and onion for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for about 1-2 minutes longer. Then add coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and chickpeas and simmer for further 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Add a little water, if needed. Season with salt, pepper or chili to taste. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice, if you like.
- Serve your curry with rice (or other grains of choice) and top it with cashews and sesame seeds.*
- Optionally, you can toast the cashew nuts and sesame seeds in a pan without adding any oil until golden-brown and toasty.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for even longer.
- The nutritional information is calculated for 1 Serving of 4, including toppings but without side dishes like rice.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.