An easy recipe for quick vegan puff pastry hearts filled with creamy vanilla custard, fresh raspberries and powdered sugar. Thiese sweet handy pastry treats are the perfect brunch or dessert snacks for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day!
Simple Heart-Shaped Puff Pastry with Vanilla Custard
If you’re looking for something to surprise your loved one, this recipe for easy puff pastry hearts is the perfect dessert! Since love, as we all know, goes through the stomach, you can make everyone happy quickly with a delicious homemade treat as a gift!
These super simple and beautiful heart-shaped puff pastry treats are filled with a vanilla custard cream and topped with tart raspberries. Not only are they quick to make and adorably pretty, but they’re also fabulously delicious! Your kids will love these too!
Quick Dessert Recipe with 2 Ingredients
For this recipe, all you need is a roll of fresh puff pastry and a custard or pudding cream of your choice. You can make your own custard or use a store-bought one. Of course, you can also fill the puff pastry hearts with other fillings such as jam, jelly, peanut butter, chocolate mousse or fresh fruit – feel free to get creative here!
The following ingredients are needed for this recipe if you cook vegan custard from scratch:
- Puff pastry: when buying, make sure that it does not contain dairy butter and is Vegan. To make gluten-free puff pastry hearts, you can just use gluten-free puff pastry.
- Plant milk: You can use any dairy-free milk like soy milk, almond milk or cashew milk. Canned coconut milk will make the pudding richer and creamier. However, I would not recommend oat milk because it contains enzymes that break down starch to sugar and then the custard does not become solid.
- Vanilla Pudding powder: or cornstarch with some vanilla extract or ground vanilla.
- Sugar: such as raw cane sugar, coconut sugar or date sugar. For a sugar-free version, you could use erythritol. A natural sweetener like maple syrup, agave syrup, or date syrup will also work!
- Soy Cream: or any other non-dairy cream or milk to brush the pastry instead of egg wash.
- Turmeric: You can optionally add this healthy spice to give the puff pastry a more golden color.
As always, I recommend checking out these step-by-step instructions first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cut out the puff pastry
First, roll out the puff pastry dough and cut out hearts of desired size. Then use a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the center, creating a frame. Prick the small hearts several times with a fork so that the puff pastry does not rise in the center.
Step 2: Brush and bake
Mix the dairy-free cream with optionally a pinch of turmeric and brush the puff pastry hearts with it. Sprinkle some more sugar on top and bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size, until lightly golden brown. Then allow to cool.
Step 3: Cook vanilla pudding
First, dissolve the cornstarch in about 3-4 tablespoons of the plant milk until smooth. Bring the remaining plant milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Then stir in the cornstarch slurry, sugar and turmeric and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until you have a thick, creamy custard. Then remove from heat and allow to cool.
Step 4: Fill hearts and enjoy!
Fill the cooled puff pastry hearts with the custard pudding, garnish with berries if desired and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- Frozen puff pastry should be thawed first before using. However, make sure it is still chilled or it will quickly become too soft.
- The custard should not be allowed to cool completely, otherwise it will become too firm and you won’t be able to fill the puff pastry hearts well. If you’ll end up with leftover custard, you can serve it as a dessert in a jar or just straight from the pot!
- If the center of the hearts rises during baking, you can simply press them in gently with your finger afterwards.
- You can modify the recipe as you like by trying other fillings like fruit preserves, apple cinnamon filling, chocolate mousse, red fruit jelly, vegan Nutella, cheesecake cream, etc.
- Besides raspberries, other fresh fruits and berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, currants, cherries, mangoes, apples, peaches, plums, etc. make a delicious fruity addition to these puff pastry hearts with vanilla custard too!
How to store filled puff pastry desserts?
The filled puff pastry hearts taste best fresh! However, you can easily store leftover pastries in an airtight container for about 2 days and warm them briefly in the oven before eating.
This Vegan Puff Pastry Dessert Recipe is:
- Quick and easy
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Gluten-free possible
- Sugar-free possible
- Airy, light, flaky and crispy
- Filled with creamy custard
- Topped with fresh raspberries
- Sweet and fruity!
- So delicious!
More Recipes for Mother’s Day
- No Bake Brownie Hearts
- Vegan Madeleines
- Raspberry Cream Cake
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Linzer Cookies
- Chocolate Mugcake
- Raspberry Swiss Roll
- Raspberries and Cream Cookie Cake
- Cake Pralines
- Ravioli Hearts
If you try this easy recipe for puff pastry hearts filled with vanilla custard and raspberries, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your sweet snacks and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your creations! Have fun trying them out! 🙂
Vegan Puff Pastry Hearts with Vanilla Custard and RaspberriesAuthor:
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
- 1 (275 g) puff pastry sheet
- 1 recipe vanilla custard or chocolate pudding or your fave store-bought brand
To brush / sprinkle
- 2-3 tbsp dairy-free milk or cream + 1 pinch turmeric (optional for color)
- 1-2 tsp coconut sugar or other sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- berries e.g. raspberries and red currants
- powdered sugar
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step photos above!
- Preheat the oven to 392 °F (200 °C).
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut out hearts of desired size.
- Place the puff pastry hearts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cut out the center with a smaller heart cutter to create a frame (as shown in the step-by-step pictures or in the video above).
- Prick the center of the small hearts several times with a fork so that the pastry does not rise in the center and the custard can be filled in there later.
- Combine dairy-free milk with optionally a pinch of turmeric and brush the puff pastry hearts with it. Sprinkle a little sugar on top and bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size, until lightly golden brown. Then allow to cool. (If the center still rises, you can simply press it down gently with your finger afterwards).
- Prepare the vanilla pudding according to this recipe and fill it into the cooled puff pastry hearts.
- Dust the hearts with powdered sugar and decorate with berries.
- If any of the pudding is left over, you can serve it as a dessert in a jar or enjoy immediately!
- Also be sure to try my danish pastry with strawberries, my fruit cake and my popular apple custard cake!
- More tips and information on the recipe as well as storage notes are mentioned in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.