This is a super quick and easy recipe for vegan potato fritters (hash browns) with herby cashew cream cheese dip and garlic mushrooms! These potato pancakes are simple to prepare, so delicious and perfect for a savory breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Vegan Potato Fritters (Hash Browns)
Today I have a super easy, delicious, and vegan recipe for you, guys! I guess everyone may know that I love all recipes from my Grandma’s kitchen, so here are my favorite vegan potato fritters which we call “Kartoffelpuffer” in Germany or “Latkes” in Poland. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
No eggs, no dairy – just potatoes and a bit of flour!
There are many ways of making hash browns but not all recipes are vegan. Most recipes contain an egg as a binder but it also works great without chicken eggs or dairy ingredients! These savory pancakes are only made with grated potatoes and a bit of flour which will help the hash browns to stay together when frying. If you’re gluten-free eater, feel free to use gluten-free flour, such as rice flour or chickpea flour.
Traditional German potato pancakes are served with sweet applesauce and cinnmon. However, I also like savory American hash browns, topped with fried garlic mushrooms, fresh spring onions, and vegan herb dip. I prefer to make the dairy-free dip at home with cashew nuts and herbs since it gets super creamy, flavorful and incredibly delicious!
What I also love about these potatoes fritters is that they’re very versatile! You can serve them as a side dish, appetizer, main course or even use them as tasty vegan Burger Patties. If you love vegan burger, you should definitely check out my favorite potato fritter burger with carrot apple salad recipe.
If you try this recipe for crrispy vegan potato fritters, feel free to leave me a comment and rating. And if you take a photo of your hash browns, please tag me on Instagram @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka so I don’t miss your post! Enjoy!
Vegan Potato Fritters (Hash Browns)Author:
- 500 g potatoes e.g. Russet or Yukon Gold
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour or sub gluten-free flour (e.g. rice or chickpea flour)
- 1 tbsp potato flour or sub more flour
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of nutmeg optional to taste
- oil for frying
Cashew Herb Dip
- 1 ⅔ cups raw cashews 250g
- 3-4 tbsp non-dairy yogurt unsweetened
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- herbs of choice fresh or dried
- sea salt & pepper
- a bit of water optional
To Serve (optional)
- garlic mushrooms
- spring onions
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Then, wrap the potato mixture into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze well to remove as much liquid as you can.
- Combine the squeezed potatoes with the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Using a spoon, place heaps of the potato mixture into the pan and press them flat gently. Fry the potato fritters on each side for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Cashew Herb Dip
- Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours (or boil them 15 minutes) in water. Then drain off the soaking water, rinse the cashews with fresh water and drain well.
- Add the soaked cashews along with the remaining ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste and add a bit of water, if needed until desired consistency.
- Serve the potato fritters with the cashew dip and pan-fried garlic mushrooms. Garnish with fresh spring onions or serve with your favorite toppings.
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply