This Vegan Potato Broccoli Casserole recipe is super creamy, perfectly saucy, and simply delicious! You’ll only need a few plant-based ingredients to make this easy cheesy veggie potato bake!
The Best Potato and Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Today I want to share a delicious potato broccoli casserole recipe. This dish is not only easy to make, but also healthy and filling. Maybe some of you already know this broccoli potato gratin recipe from my cookbook Vegan & Easy? If not, then you should definitely give it a try! It’s perfect for the whole family!
Vegan Potato Bake with Dairy-free Cheese
This recipe is prepared in the same way as traditional potato bake with broccoli and cheese, but the sauce is made without heavy cream, eggs or sour cream. Instead, the potato gratin is topped with a dairy-free sauce made only from plant-based ingredients. Finally, you can sprinkle vegan grated cheese over the potato broccoli gratin, but it already tastes totally delicious without cheese and becomes incredibly creamy!
Ingredients for the Potato Gratin
- Broccoli (or other vegetables)
- Dairy-free cooking cream
- Italian herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme or basil)
- Paprika powder
Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the Sauce
- Vegan butter or margarine
- Vegetable broth
- Nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Vegan grated cheese
As always, I recommend watching the recipe video and checking out these step-by-step instructions first. You can then find the full recipe with exact quantities in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Prepare veggies and sauce
First, peel the potatoes and cut into bite-sized cubes. Second, wash the broccoli, separate the florets and chop into small pieces. Next, mix the dairy-free cooking cream with the herbs, pressed garlic as well as the spices in a pot and bring to a boil. Then add the potatoes and broccoli, mix everything well and cook for 2 minutes with the lid on. Then transfer the whole mixture to a baking dish.
Step 2: Cook the sauce
First, melt the vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Then whisk in the flour and sweat it for a few seconds, stirring. Once the mixture turns slightly golden, pour in vegetable broth and stir in the nutritional yeast flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, for about 2 minutes until it thickens a bit. Season with salt and black pepper.
Step 3: Finish the potato casserole and bake it
Pour the creamy sauce evenly over the potatoes and broccoli and give everything another rough mix. Bake the casserole at 356 ºF (180 ºC) for 30 minutes. Then sprinkle with vegan cheese to in desired and bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are tender. Finally, garnish the potato gratin with vegan parmesan and fresh herbs as desired. Enjoy your meal!
Potato Casserole Recipe Variations
- In classic recipes, people like to add cooked ham or bacon to give the casserole a hearty touch. For vegetarian and vegan potato gratin variations, diced smoked tofu or coconut bacon are suitable.
- Replace the broccoli with cauliflower or a combination of vegetables to suit your taste. Whether it’s mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, peas or brussels sprouts – basically any vegetable will do!
- For more protein, you could add plant-based meat alternatives or legumes like tofu, vegan ground beef, chickpeas, beans or brown lentils.
The casserole is perfect for meal prep and reheats well. If you have leftovers or want to make the casserole ahead to serve it later, you can store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can also freeze the casserole. To do so, it’s best to cut into portion-sized pieces, place in airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Then simply reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
This Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Casserole is:
- Vegan (dairy-free, lactose-free)
- Quick and Easy
- Very tasty!
- Perfect as a side dish or main meal for lunch, dinner or for the party buffet!
More Casserole Recipes to try:
- Potato Mushroom Casserole
- Vegan Lasagna
- Pumpkin Pasta Bake
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese Casserole
- Spinach Mushroom Pasta Bake
- Potato Gratin
- Mexican Tortilla Casserole
- Lentil Zucchini Lasagne
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins
- Baked Potatoes with Herb Dip
- Turkish Stuffed Eggplants
If you try this creamy potato broccoli casserole recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating. And if you take a picture of your potato gratin, please tag me on Instagram or Facebook @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka so I don’t miss your post! Have fun cooking and bon appétit! 🙂
Vegan Potato Broccoli CasseroleAuthor:
- 1 cup (150 g) vegan grated cheese
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step pictures above!
- Preheat the oven to 356 ºF (180 ºC).
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into bite-sized cubes. Wash the broccoli, separate the florets and chop them into small pieces.
- In a large pot, mix the dairy-free cooking cream with the herbs, paprika powder, garlic and a little salt and bell pepper and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and broccoli, mix everything well and cook for 2 minutes with the lid on. Then transfer to a baking dish.
- Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and sauté for a few seconds, stirring. Once the mixture turns lightly golden, pour in vegetable broth and stir in the nutritional yeast flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the potatoes and broccoli and toss to coat. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with vegan cheese if desired and bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are tender.
- Helpful tips and more information about the recipe such as storing and freezing notes are mentioned in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.