This is the best recipe for a delicious, healthy, vegan creamy pumpkin soup with coconut milk and curry – It is very quick and easy to make and perfect for cold days to warm up!
The Best Pumpkin Soup – My favorite recipe!
This creamy pumpkin soup is my favorite as it is a traditional family recipe that I published on my blog a few years ago. And because I still make this delicious soup often and with pleasure, it was high time to give the old blog post an update with new pictures and a recipe video.
With the help of the detailed step-by-step instructions, the creamy pumpkin soup is guaranteed to succeed for everyone – whether beginner or cooking pro!
Quick and easy pumpkin soup
What I love most about this easy one-pot pumpkin soup is that you can make it without much effort, and it’s ready super fast in just approx. 20 minutes! Plus, you can modify the basic recipe to your liking by swapping out ingredients for other alternatives or even adding extra veggies or different protein sources like tofu or chickpeas. It’s freezer-friendly and perfect for meal prep as you can store leftovers in the fridge and reheat whenever you’re craving a warm soup.
- Pumpkin: I prefer Hokkaido, also known as red kuri squash, as it has an edible skin. However, you can also use another variety like butternut squash.
- Potatoes: or sweet potatoes
- Carrots: or other soup vegetable
- Coconut oil: or another vegetable oil or vegan butter
- Onion: white or red onion
- Curry powder: e.g. yellow curry powder Madras
- Paprika powder: or chili powder
- Nutmeg: optional
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut milk: or dairy-free cooking cream
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
For garnish (optional)
- Yogurt: e.g. coconut yogurt or other dairy-free yogurt or coconut cream
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chili flakes
- Fresh parsley
How to make the best pumpkin soup
As always, I recommend checking out these step-by-step instructions and the recipe video first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cut the vegetables
First, core and chop the pumpkin into chunks. Peel the potato and carrots and cut them into rough pieces as well. Then peel and finely chop the onion, garlic and ginger.
Step 2: Roast the vegetables and cook the soup.
Now heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan or pot and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes until translucent. Then add garlic cloves and ginger and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Next, add pumpkin, potato and carrot cubes with curry and paprika powder and sauté for about 3 minutes. Then pour in the vegetable broth, bring to a boil and simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin flesh is soft.
Tip: If the soup gets too thick, you can add more vegetable broth or coconut milk. Or if you like it thicker, you can cook it without the lid on a little longer until it thickens.
Step 3: Puree and serve
Then add coconut milk, sea salt, black pepper, and lemon juice to taste and blend until smooth using an immersion blender or reguar blender. Serve the creamy pumpkin soup in bowls and garnish with vegan yogurt or coconut cream, pumpkin seeds, chili flakes and fresh parsley as desired. Bon appetite! 🙂
Tips and recipe notes
- Feel free to add different vegetables like celery, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or bell peppers. Just saute it briefly with the onions before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- If you want more protein in your soup, feel free to add crispy fried tofu cubes or any legumes like beans, peas, chickpeas or lentils.
- Of course, you can use other spices or add additional ones like turmeric, coriander, cayenne pepper or whatever you like. Also feel free to try other types of curry powder or Thai curry paste for a different flavor.
How to store homemade soup?
Leftover pumpkin soup will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze it in portions in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. That way you’ll always have a serving of homemade pumpkin soup on hand!
This creamy pumpkin curry soup is:
- Vegan (dairy-free)
- Quick and easy to make
- Incredibly delicious!
- Perfect for lunch, dinner, and meal prep!
More easy vegan soup recipes
- Vegan Pizza Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Red Lentil Dahl
- Thai Carrot Ginger Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Thai Peanut Ramen Noodle Soup
- Mushroom and Rice Soup
If you try this easy vegan pumpkin soup with coconut milk and curry, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating on how you liked this recipe! And if you take a photo of your creamy soup and share it on Instagram oder Facebook, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I would love to see your result! Happy cooking! 😊
The Best Pumpkin Soup (Easy & Vegan)Author:
- ½ (500 g) hokkaido pumpkin "red kuri squash" about 1 lbs pumpkin flesh, *see notes
- 1 (200 g) medium sized potato
- 2 (120 g) carrots
- 2 tbsp (30 g) coconut oil or other oil or vegan butter
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece of ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder e.g. madras
- 1 tsp paprika powder or chili powder to taste
- ¼ tsp nutmeg optional to taste
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
- 7 oz (200 g) coconut milk or soy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice or to taste
Topping of choice
- coconut yogurt or other dairy-free yogurt of choice
- pumpkin seeds
- sesame seeds
- fresh parsley
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step photos above!
- Chop pumpkin, potato and carrots into coarse pieces. Finely chop onion, garlic and ginger.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute.
- Add pumpkin, potato and carrot cubes along with curry powder, paprika powder and nutmeg and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to the boil. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Finally, add coconut milk along with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Blend with an immersion stick blender (or in a blender) until the soup is smooth and creamy.
- Garnish your creamy soup with yogurt, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and fresh parsley as desired.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- I prefer Hokkaido pumpkin, also known as red kuri squash, as it has an edible skin so you don't have to peel it. However, you can also use another variety like butternut squash.
- You can also use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes and carrots.
- More helpful tips and information about this recipe, including instructions for storing and freezing, are mentioned in the blog post above.
- This recipe was first published on 09.12.2017.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.