This creamy mushroom rice soup makes a delicious cozy weeknight dinner that’s perfect for any season! It is easy to make and has all the hearty flavors you love! This Recipe is vegan, healthy, dairy-free and gluten-free.
Creamy Mushroom Rice Soup
Enjoying this creamy soup feels like pure comfort food, filling me up but without leaving me feeling too heavy. To be honest, I’m not a big fan of watery soups. But I really LOVE thick and creamy soups which are loaded with healthy plant-based ingredients to satisfy and nourish my body! Are you with me? If so, this recipe is one you’ll definitely want to make again and again!
Savory Stew with Flavorful healthy Mushrooms
If you’ve been following me for a while, you may have noticed that I am one of the biggest mushroom lovers ever! I totally adore serving any kind of meal with this hearty vegetable, especially pasta and gnocchi, because it packs so much flavor and the meaty texture is just perfect if you want a vegan meal without missing the meat! Not to mention, Mushrooms are also very healthy because they contain a lot of nutrients and plant-based protein, and as a bonus, they don’t have many calories! How amazing is that?!
How to make a vegan creamy Mushroom Rice Soup
While traditional creamy soups are often made with rich dairy-based heavy cream, I made mine healthier and used only non-dairy ingredients. Also, we don’t need to add any thickeners or unusual ingredients because the creaminess comes mainly from the cooked rice, non-dairy milk and a little bit of flour. This way, in my opinion, is not only healthier but it also tastes even better! I mean, is there anything better than enjoying a creamy dreamy soup that’s delicious and healthy at the same time?! I don’t think so!
Which kind of Rice can I use?
Mushroom and rice soups are often made with wild rice because it has a delicious nutty flavor and doesn’t get too mushy when adding it into soup. However, I’ve already tried different variations, and I find that the soup also tastes very delicious when using other types of rice. My favorite is basmati or jasmine rice, but it’s totally up to you which you like best.
How to cook Rice – The Cooking Time
There‘s only one important thing you have to keep in mind when buying the rice. Because all types of rice vary in cooking time and the amount of liquid needed. While real Canadian wild rice takes about 40 minutes to cook and needs a little more water, there’s also a basmati & wild rice blend available which takes only 15 minutes to cook! Brown rice takes usually about 35 minutes and white jasmine rice or basmati rice often takes only 10-15 minutes until tender. There are even minute rices that take 5 minutes to cook, however, I do not recommend using these. So please make sure to always check the package instructions. Also, add a little bit more water if you notice that the soup is getting too thick.
Add other Veggies or grains
This Creamy Rice Soup is also totally delicious when adding other vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, pumpkin or squash, cauliflower, broccoli, chickpeas, etc. The base for this recipe will be always the same. Simply start with stir-frying the veggies as mentioned in the recipe instructions, then cook with the rice until tender. I haven’t tried making the soup with other grains that are similar to rice yet but please, by all means, feel free to give it a try. Another idea is to make this soup with pasta instead of rice, however, I‘m not sure how it’ll turn out. Anyways, I think, it would be also delicious.
This Creamy Mushroom Rice Soup is:
- Easy to make
- The Perfect weeknight dinner
- And very delicious!
Quick and Easy Recipe
This healthy creamy soup is super easy to make. Also, if you use a type of rice with quick cooking time, it comes together in 30 minutes or even faster. But you could also make the rice separately in advance, so you can cook the soup anytime in less time! And if you have an instant pot or pressure cooker, this recipe would be also perfect for that. Anyways I don’t have one, so I always cook the soup in a large pot on the stove.
If you try my creamy mushroom rice soup, please leave a comment below and let me know how it turned out for you. And if you take a picture of your meal, please don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram post with @biancazapatka and #biancazapatka because I‘d love to see it. For more delicious soup recipes, also check out my Pumpkin Soup or my Lentil Dal, however, I‘m pretty sure you’ll also love my yummy Mushroom Risotto or creamy Polenta! Happy cooking!
Creamy Mushroom Rice Soup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or oil
- 3 medium carrots finely diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 leek (white and light green part only) sliced, or 1 diced onion
- 14 oz mushrooms (400g) sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp paprika powder optional
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup uncooked rice (175g) *read recipe notes
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour *or gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 cup white wine (120ml) optional
- 6 cups vegetable broth (1440ml) or to desired consistency
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (240ml) or cream for a creamier soup
- 4 tbsp Vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot (or dutch oven), over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, leek (or onions), and mushrooms and sauté for about 6-7 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, and thyme and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to combine. (It‘ll get lumpy but that’s normal).
- Optional: Add the white wine and cook for a minute or so, stirring frequently, until the wine has evaporated. (The alcohol will burn off but the flavor makes the soup totally delicious.)
- Add the vegetable broth and rice, give it a good mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes. (The cooking time may vary, depending on the type of rice you use. Please make sure to check the package instructions).
- Stir in the non-dairy milk, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until thickened and heated through. (Add more water, if it’s too thick, or add another tbsp of flour to make the soup thicker.)
- Stir in vegan parmesan cheese, if you like, for an extra delicious cheesiness.
- Garnish your soup with fresh parsley or other herbs and serve immediately!
- The cooking time may vary, depending on the type of rice you use. Please make sure to check the package instructions and read my text "How to cook Rice" above this recipe for additional information!
- To make the soup gluten-free, I recommend using a gluten-free flour blend 1:1.
- Making it ahead Tip: You can cook the rice according to package instructions in vegetable broth ahead and store it in the fridge. To cook the soup, simply sauté the veggies until tender, then add the flour, wine, about 4 cups broth, and non-dairy milk, and cook for a few minutes. Add cooked rice and cook until heated through, adding more liquid (or flour) until it reaches the desired consistency. Serve immediately!
- The soup is best eaten right away as the rice will continue soaking the liquid when it cools.
- If you are not making this soup vegan, you can use regular butter, milk or cream and parmesan.
- You can add any veggie of your choice too. Suggestions are mentioned in the text.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.