This creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with vegan Mushroom Gravy is very easy to make, healthy, plant-based and so delicious! It’s a simple recipe that is comforting, flavorful, hearty and satisfying.
If you’re looking for a quick and nourishing dinner, that fills you up and tastes delicious, look no further! This easy white and sweet mashed potatoes with vegan mushroom gravy contains only plant-based ingredients, and is super flavorful! It’s also healthy, gluten-free, grain-free, and a great variation to my creamy polenta with roasted mushrooms and spinach.
Creamy white & sweet mashed potatoes – a perfect match
I‘ve always loved fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes and especially when you also add other vegetables, such as sweet potatoes or carrots. When I was a child, my mom used to make mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes quite often because it’s such a delicious way to eat vegetables and fill your body with vitamins. Of course, you can add any vegetables you like. I‘ve already made it with cauliflower, parsnips, broccoli, and pumpkin. However, I love all variations. Anyways, I think it’s not only a healthy meal for children or babies, but also for adults. In combination with a savory and flavorful vegan mushroom gravy, it makes the perfect comfort meal or simple side dish. It’s also a perfect dinner for Christmas, Thanksgiving or enjoy it just as a cozy weeknight dinner.
Easy Vegan Mushroom Gravy
This hearty vegan mushroom gravy tastes so delicious in combination with mashed sweet potatoes! I kept this gravy simple with minimal ingredients, but feel free to amp it up with more spices or herbs of choice. To me, this creamy Sauce reminds also of vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. It’s a rich & savory sauce, made of just sautéed onions, garlic, mushrooms, vegan butter, vegetable broth, organic flour, and seasonings. It’s simple, tasty & smooth and contains no greasy drippings, such as dairy fat.
I hope you‘ll love this Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Vegan Mushroom Gravy recipe as much as I do! It’s:
- Easy to make
- The perfect comfort food
Serve this Creamy Mushroom Sauce with Gnocchi, Pasta or Rice
Sauces like this are terrific because they are so incredibly versatile. You can use this easy vegan Mushroom Sauce not only as a topping for mashed sweet potatoes but also for so many other dishes you like! I also love to serve it with Gnocchi or Pasta, such as Spaghetti, Tagliatelle, Penne, Macaroni or other types of noodles. Also, Sweet Potato Gnocchi or Pierogi are a perfect match with this creamy flavorful sauce. If you love to vary your dishes, feel free to try out various combinations. Have fun trying this recipe and please don’t forget to let me know if you liked it!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy (vegan)Author:
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 lbs potatoes * (1 kg) peeled and cut into even-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- about 1/4 cup plant-based milk or cream (60 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
For the Gravy:
For Garnish (optional):
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme/ parsley
- Pine nuts
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add just enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and put potatoes back to the pot on the stove top with the heat turned off. This helps any excess water evaporate.
- Add butter and warm until butter is melted, then mash roughly. Add plant-based milk or cream, salt, pepper to taste and mash until smooth and creamy. (Please do not add too much milk, because this can make the potatoes soupy.)
For the Gravy (Make this while the potatoes cook):
- Heat the vegan butter (or oil) in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onions until translucent and browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Add mushrooms and fry until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in vegetable broth, soy sauce, and plant-based cream.
- In a small cup, add cornstarch to a little water and stir to dissolve. Stir in the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until gravy has thickened to desired consistency. Add nutritional yeast flakes (optional) and more salt and pepper if needed.
- Top your mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, fresh herbs and toasted pine nuts (optional). Serve immediately.
- I used regular white potatoes and sweet potatoes for this recipe, but you could also use any other variety of creamy potatoes or vegetables.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.