This quick and easy Italian one-pot pasta is a super simple 10-Minute recipe that is healthy, vegan, and delicious! Simply throw all the ingredients in one pot or pan, you’ll have a satisfying pasta meal for busy weeknights or any other day!
Pasta is the easiest homemade weeknight dinner for the entire family but one-pot pasta is an absolute magic wonder. You can save even more time because the pasta is cooked right in the sauce with the other ingredients. No need to fry onions and garlic, and no need to cook the pasta and drain – all these “prep steps” are also omitted here. It couldn’t be easier!
This Italian pasta recipe calls for minimal prep, a 10-minute cook time, and just one pot to clean! Plus, it’s very flavorful, delicious and the entire family will love it – kids and adults alike!
One-Pot Pasta Recipe – Versatile, simple & delicious!
The recipe itself is very versatile because you can use any pasta variety and vegetables you like! However, it is very important what kind of tomatoes you use because they are the key for a flavorful sauce! It really makes a huge difference whether you use juicy sun-ripened Italian tomatoes or watery unripe tomatoes.
So I highly recommend using Italian tomatoes for the best flavor in this one-pot pasta. You can check out my German blog post to see the brand I’m using if you like. However, I’m sure you can also find a great organic brand in the grocery stores where you‘re based. Just make sure to check the product if it’s organic and 100% Italian.
Tomatoes are a must pantry staple!
What I also love about canned tomatoes is that they keep a very long period so they’re one of the best pantry staples ever! I highly recommend buying a few cans ahead so you have always flavorful tomatoes on hand if you want to cook a quick meal!
More tomato recipes
Anyway, preserved or canned tomatoes can be used not only for this Italian one-pot pasta but also for various other recipes such as:
- Pasta Napoli
- Lentil Zucchini Lasagna
- Mexican Tortilla Casserole
- Penne all’ Arrabbiata
- Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
- Lentil Bolognese
- Mushroom and Lentil Ragu
… and much more!
The Best Tomato Sauce for Pasta
For tomato sauces, I like to combine chopped tomatoes and strained tomatoes, but you could also use just one variety of those. A flavored tomato or marinara sauce is also a great choice for this one-pot pasta because it is usually already seasoned with garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Anyway, whatever tomatoes you choose, you need about 2 cups for 2 servings of one-pot pasta!
Further Ingredients for Italian one-pot pasta
In addition to tomatoes, you also need pasta, garlic, or onions, as well as basil, salt, and pepper. I also added olives and zucchini, but other vegetables and herbs are great, too! Since pasta absorbs liquid when cooking, be sure to add vegetable broth. I do not recommend using water as the vegetable broth will add more flavor to your pasta. You need about 1 cup broth for 8 oz pasta. If you notice that you need more during cooking, simply add a little more.
- pasta: e.g. Fettuccine, spaghetti, Fussili, Rigatoni, Spirelli, Farfalle, Penne, gluten-free or homemade pasta
- garlic: or onion or both
- strained tomatoes: or your favorite tomato or marinara sauce
- chopped tomatoes: canned or fresh tomatoes
- vegetable broth
- zucchini: or other vegetables such as eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, broccoli, spinach
- olives: or add a bit of olive oil for more flavor
- salt and pepper: or other spices to taste
- sugar or agave syrup: for a bit of sweetness
- fresh herbs: such as basil, oregano, thyme or parsley
How to make One-Pot Pasta
Simply place all of the ingredients in one pot or large skillet. For more flavor, you could also sauté the garlic or onion first, then add the rest. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally with tongs, until the pasta is ‘al dente’. Depending on the cooking time of your pasta, it usually takes around 8-10 minutes for the Italian one-pot pasta to be ready! Add a little more water/broth as needed and don’t forget to taste and adjust the seasonings! That’s it – practical, simple, quick, and super tasty!
Pasta Toppings – Vegan Parmesan and Mozzarella
Feel free to add your favorite toppings! I love to serve my Italian one-pot pasta with vegan mini mozzarella balls and vegan parmesan cheese as well as fresh basil. However, also tofu feta, avocado, cashew ricotta, or almond ricotta would be great here!
This Italian One Pot Pasta recipe is:
- Vegan (dairy-free, meat-less)
- Quick and easy to make
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Requires no cooking skills
- Can be made with gluten-free pasta
- Perfect for lunch or dinner!
If you try this Italian one-pot pasta, feel free to leave a comment and a review on how you liked this vegan recipe! And if you take a photo of your 10-minute pasta dish, please tag me on Instagram @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka, because I love to see your remakes! Have fun cooking!
Italian One-Pot PastaAuthor:
- 8,5 oz pasta of your choice
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1 onion or both
- 1 cup strained tomatoes or tomato or marinara sauce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes canned or fresh
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups zucchini chopped (or other vegetables)
- ⅓ cup pitted olives or 1-2 tbsp olive oil for more flavor
- salt and pepper or other spices to taste
- 2-3 tsp sugar or agave syrup to taste
- fresh herbs e.g. basil, oregano, thyme or parsley to taste
- Place all ingredients in one pot or deep pan and bring the mixture to a boil. (For more flavor, you could also sauté the garlic or onion first, then add the rest and bring to a boil.)
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally with tongs until the pasta is 'al dente', about 8-10 minutes (depending on the cooking time of your pasta). Add more water/broth as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Use your favorite pasta variety or even homemade pasta (click here for the recipe).
- For more flavor, you could also sauté the garlic or onion in a little olive oil first, then add the rest.
- Please read my blog post for further information on this recipe.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.