Hey my dears,
In a few days it’s already Valentine’s Day. Due to this, I have a delicious recipe for homemade vegan heart ravioli that will definitely conquer all hearts. And not only because they’re so delicious, but also because they’re without any animal products and even look so cute. You know, you eat with your eyes (first).
Anyways, I’m not a big fan of such “festivities”, as I just don‘t like this consumerism, but what I like otherwise is a themed occasion to be creative again.
Most of the ravioli or stuffed pasta pockets that you can buy in supermarkets aren‘t vegan as they also contain some undesirable ingredients such as additives and flavor enhancers. So I prefer to make ravioli by myself and that‘s even easier than most people think.
For this recipe you need only a few ingredients, because the pasta dough is just made of flour, water, sea salt and olive oil. These ingredients are simply kneaded and formed into a ball, which then goes into the fridge for one hour. Later you simply roll out the dough and cut or stamp it as you like.
For this process, I use different ravioli forms or cutters, which I have at home. Here I linked some -> “kitchenware“. For these heart ravioli, I just used a big [amazon_textlink asin=’B005CTLJP4′ text=’heart cookie cutter‘ template=’ProductLink’ store=’fitnessbianca-21′ marketplace=’DE’ link_id=’7b52a2b3-0e47-11e8-8c71-f97dba9cbd7e’].
You can create the filling from all sorts of vegetables and creams suitable to your mood. Also pestos are great as a filling. If you enter “pesto” in the search function here on my blog, you can also find some yummy recipes. For these ravioli hearts I chose my “Pesto Rosso” recipe.
When I start making ravioli, I usually prepare more, because you can easily freeze them to have enough in stock and then just defrost them when you‘ll crave ravioli.
If I still have ravioli leftovers from the day before, I usually roast them crispy in olive oil or vegan butter. Another of my favorites is the combination with mushrooms. The instruction for the preparation can be found here: “Crispy Roasted Gnocchi with Garlic Mushrooms and Pine nuts“.
But now enough writing. Let’s finally start with the recipe:
Homemade Vegan Ravioli Hearts for Valentine’s DayAuthor:
For the filling:
- as desired for example ‘Pesto Rosso‘
- First combine flour and salt in a bowl and form a hollow in the middle.
- Mix water and olive oil in another bowl. Then pour it into the hollow of the flour and stir with a fork.
- Place the mixture on a floured surface and knead with wet hands to a smooth dough.
- Then form a ball out of the dough, wrap it in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling or pesto.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out thinly with a rolling pin on a floured surface.
- Cut out hearts.
- Then spread the filling with a teaspoon as a walnut-sized blob in the middle of half the amount of the noodle hearts .
- Then moisten the edges of the stuffed pasta hearts with wet fingers. Carefully place the second pasta heart over the filled heart and press the edges.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot and cook the ravioli for about 6-8 minutes.
- Then remove the ravioli with a skimmer and drain well.
- You can serve the ravioli just cooked, for example with a "tomato sauce" or roast them in a pan with some oil or vegan butter until crispy.
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.