This is the best homemade garlic bread recipe! Soft baguette bread topped with roasted garlic butter, vegan cheese and baked in the oven until golden brown and cheesy – It’s so delicious and even easy to make! Perfect as a side dish for barbecue’s and summer parties!
The Best Garlic Bread Recipe
Garlic bread is a popular side dish in many kitchens. It’s a bread that is spread with garlic butter and often sprinkled with herbs such as parsley or oregano. The garlic bread is then baked in the oven until it is crispy and golden brown. It is known for its intense garlic flavor and is often served as a side dish with soups, pasta or salads.
There are many variations of garlic bread. In this recipe, the garlic is roasted in the oven for the best flavor. It is then mixed with the rest of the ingredients to make a delicious herb-infused garlic butter. This is then spread on the bread and last but not least, the garlic bread is topped with dairy-free cheese to make it really cheesy once it comes out of the oven. It’s so delicious – be sure to give this recipe a try!
Ingredients for Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
You can make this simple cheesy garlic bread recipe from scratch with just a few ingredients and little effort. The garlic butter is easy to make ahead. For a quicker version, you can also chop the garlic and roast it in a pan. In addition, the recipe is very versatile, because you can swap out the ingredients as you like. Here is an overview of the ingredients used with possible alternatives:
- Baguette or soft French or Italian bread.
- Olive oil or another oil like canola oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil.
- Garlic – a whole bulb!
- Vegan butter or margarine
- Parsley or any other herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chives, dill, etc.
- Salt and pepper or other seasonings to taste.
- Vegan grated cheese such as pizza cheese or vegan cheddar. Grated Vegan Mozzarella or Vegan Feta Cheese are also good!
Tip: Feel free to try a “pizza style” bread version with garlic spinach, mushrooms and dairy-free cream cheese as a variation! For a red pizza margarita version, you can simply top the bread with tomato sauce and dairy-free cheese! You can find more variations here!
As always, I recommend watching the recipe video and checking out these step-by-step instructions first. Then you can find the full recipe with the exact measurements in the recipe card below!
- Roast garlic in the oven: Preheat the oven to 392°F (200 °C). Pour the olive oil into a small ovenproof dish. Cut the garlic bulb crosswise at the stalk and place it, cut side down, in the dish with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the garlic is wonderfully fragrant and soft.
- Make garlic butter: Then, gently squeeze out the soft garlic and place in a bowl with the remaining garlic oil. Add vegan butter, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste and mix everything together with a fork.
- Prep garlic baguette: Cut the baguette bread in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the herb garlic butter evenly on both halves of the bread. Sprinkle with vegan cheese and bake at 356 °F (180 °C) for about 10-15 minutes, until the bread has crispy golden brown edges and the cheese has melted. Then remove from the oven, slice and serve warm. Enjoy your meal!
Here are a few variations of garlic bread you could try.
- Herb Garlic Bread: Add more chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, oregano, basil or rosemary to the garlic butter or olive oil. Mix all ingredients well and spread on the bread before baking.
- Tomato Garlic Bread: For a Mediterranean touch, you can put thinly sliced tomatoes on the bread before baking and spread with the garlic butter or olive oil. You can also add some olives, pepperoni or some vegan mozzarella or vegan feta cheese on top.
- Spicy Garlic Bread: If you like it spicy, you can add some chili flakes or cayenne pepper to the garlic butter. This will give the bread a bit of a kick.
- Pizza Bread: Basically, you can top the baguette bread just like you would top a pizza! Try your favorite toppings like vegan salami, mushrooms, corn, zucchini, carrot salmon, cheese, or whatever else you like on your pizza!
- Pesto Bread: instead of garlic butter or herb butter, you can try a pesto! How about basil pesto or wild garlic pesto, for example? Also feel free to check out my plucked bread recipe!
Of course, these are just a few ideas, but you can let your creativity run wild and try your own variations. 🙂
To store homemade garlic bread or baguette, there are a few simple steps you can follow.
- Let the cheesy garlic bread cool completely before storing it. This will prevent moisture from building up and causing the bread to spoil faster.
- Wrap the garlic bread tightly in aluminum foil, plastic wrap or an airtight container. This will keep the bread fresher and prevent it from drying out.
- Store the flavorful bread in a cool and dry place. Your pantry or refrigerator are good options.
- Avoid contact with other foods, especially those with strong odors, as the garlic baguette may take on the smell.
- The bread tastes best when it is fresh. Therefore, I recommend consuming it within 2-3 days.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze garlic bread to keep it longer. Allow the baked bread to cool completely before wrapping in an airtight container and freezing. If the bread is still warm, it can cause condensation and make the bread soggy.
To thaw, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature. You can also bake it in the oven to make it crisp again.
This Homemade Garlic Bread Recipe is:
- Vegan, Vegetarian
- Succeeds gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free
- Made with plant-based ingredients
- Totally delicious
- Better than store-bought garlic baguette!
- Perfect as a side dish for grilling for many vegan and vegetarian recipes such as salads, bowls, burgers, patties & much more!
If you try this best vegan garlic bread recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your delicious garlic baguette and share it on Instagram or Facebook , please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka so I don’t miss your post! Have fun trying it out and bon appétit! 🙂
The Best Garlic Cheese Bread - Easy & Vegan RecipeAuthor:
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step pictures above!
- Preheat the oven to 392°F (200 °C).
- Pour the olive oil into a small ovenproof dish. Cut the garlic bulb crosswise at the stalk and place it, cut side down, in the dish with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the garlic is wonderfully fragrant and soft.
- Gently squeeze out the soft garlic and place in a bowl with the remaining garlic oil. Add the vegan butter, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste and mix everything together with a fork.
- Cut the baguette bread in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the garlic butter evenly on both halves of the bread. Sprinkle with vegan cheese and bake at 356 °F (180 °C) for about 10-15 minutes, until the bread has crispy golden brown edges and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, cut into slices and serve warm.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.