This easy recipe for flavorful Grilled Mushroom Skewers with garlic are the perfect summer cookout side dish or appetizer done in less than 20 minutes. These smoky, juicy, meaty, and healthy veggie skewers are exquisitely marinated and seared to perfection!
Healthy and flavorful Garlic Mushrooms
Mushrooms are without a doubt one of my favorite ingredients for savory vegan meals because of their versatility and meaty texture. They have a mild earthy taste and tend to absorb flavors like crazy! I have used them to make pasta, soups, salads, burgers and sandwiches – almost everything I can add them to. Since the weather has been ideal for some backyard grilling, I decided to make some delicious, hot-off-the-grill Mushroom Skewers.
Easy Grilled Mushroom Skewers
This recipe is not only incredibly delicious, but also very quick and easy to make! All you have to do is to make the marinade, slice and soak the mushrooms, skewer them, and grill!
The spiced garlic Tamari marinade gives the mushrooms umami, peppery, and robust flavor. Basting them with some oil-tamari mixture ensures they stay moist all the time.
- Mushrooms: I used cremini for this grilled mushroom recipe. Its firm, meaty texture and size are ideal for making skewers. However, you can also use other types like baby Portobello, buttons, or white mushrooms. If you have some big-cap varieties like shiitake or Portobello, you may also use them with the marinate but you can forgo the skewers as they are big enough not to fall through the grate.
- Herbs and Spices: The marinade uses thyme, paprika powder, black pepper, and fresh parsley. But feel free to use what makes your mouth water. I think some dried basil, dried oregano, ground cumin, and rosemary will add some amazing flavors too!
- Tamari Sauce: a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce with a more intense flavor. You can also use coconut amino if on a paleo diet.
- Canola Oil: This is recommended because of its high-smoke point like peanut and sunflower oil. If you like, you can use olive oil instead.
- Garlic: for the indispensable garlicky taste!
- Garnishes: I sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley and chili flakes, with a slice of lemon before serving but you can garnish it however you like!
How to make Grilled Mushroom Skewers
As always, I recommend checking out these step-by-step instructions first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Marinade the mushrooms
Start by mixing together all ingredients for the marinade. Next, cut the mushrooms into halves or leave them whole if using smaller ones. Then add to a bowl along with the marinade and toss until the mushrooms are fully coated.
Step 2: Skewer and grill the mushrooms
Now skewer the mushrooms and grill on the grill or in a cast-iron grill pan until just tender and slightly charred, about 3-4 minutes per side. Brush with some leftover marinade or a mixture of Tamari and oil before flipping. Press them gently using a spatula if grilling them in the pan.
Step 3: Garnish and serve
Transfer the grilled mushroom skewers to a serving platter and sprinkle with some chopped parsley and chili flakes as desired. Serve immediately with some fresh lemon wedges on the side.
Tips when making Grilled Mushroom Skewers
- If you do not have an outdoor grill, you can always use a cast iron grill pan for some indoor action as you can see in the recipe video.
- Do not wash the mushrooms, it’s better to clean them by wiping them with damp kitchen towels or napkins. Remember that mushrooms are like little sponges that absorb liquid. They should absorb the flavor of the aromatic garlic marinade, but not the water.
- If you are using wooden skewers, always make sure to soak them in water first so they do not burn while on the grill. Also, make sure that the skewer handles are hanging off the side for easier and safer handling.
- Also, please make sure to leave enough space between the skewers when you put them on the grill or in the pan.
- If you prepare the mushrooms in the pan, brush them with a mixture of oil and Tamari before turning them, so that they stay juicy and do not burn.
Add some veggies to make grilled vegetable skewers!
If you happen to have some grill-worthy veggies in your fridge that need to be used soon, then this is a great time to do so! You can add some red or green bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, carrots, eggplant, corn, and more.
Make ahead and Storing
You can make the skewers ahead of time and refrigerate them first, make sure to bring them out at least 15 minutes before grilling. If you have any leftovers, you can wrap them in aluminum foil or remove them from the bamboo skewers and place them in a covered container. They should stay good for 2-3 days. I think they also taste totally delicious cold as antipasti with vegan tzatziki and naan bread or just like that in a Mediterranean chickpea salad or Greek orzo pasta salad!
You will love these Grilled Mushroom Skewers because they are:
- Juicy and meaty
- Super flavorful
- Flavorfully marinated and basted
- Perfectly grilled and charred
- Easy to make
- Perfect for summer cookouts!
More vegan recipes for the BBQ Grilling season to try
- Easy Vegan Potato Salad
- Turkish Bulgur Salad (Kisir)
- Vegan Cevapcici (Chickpea Sausages)
- The Best Vegan Burger
- Vegan Burger Buns
- BBQ Jackfruit Tortillas Wraps
- Italian Bread Salad (Panzanella)
- Vegan Caprese Pasta Salad
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Chickpea Salad
- Barbecue Cauliflower Wings
- Crispy Cauliflower Nuggets
- Vegan Swedish Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Baan Bread with Garlic Butter
- Wild Garlic Pull Apart Bread
If you try this easy recipe for grilled garlic mushroom skewers, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a picture of your amazing dish and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Enjoy! 🙂
Grilled Mushroom SkewersAuthor:
- 1 tbsp oil canola or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Tamari sauce or soy sauce or coconut amino if paleo
To serve (optional)
- fresh parsley
- chili flakes
*Note: Be sure to watch the recipe video and check out the step-by-step photos on the blog post above!
- Add oil, Tamari sauce, garlic, thyme, parsley, paprika powder, and black pepper to a bowl and stir together.
- Cut the mushrooms into halves (or leave them whole if using smaller ones). Add to a bowl along with the marinade and toss until the mushrooms are fully coated.
- In a small bowl or cup stir together 1 tbsp oil and 1 two Tamari sauce. Skewer the mushrooms and grill (on the grill or in a cast-iron grill pan) until just tender and slightly charred, about 3-4 minutes per side. Brush with the oil and Tamari mixture before flipping and press them gently using a spatula if grilling them in the pan as needed.
- Transfer the grilled mushroom skewers to a serving platter and sprinkle with some chopped parsley and chili flakes as desired.
- Serve immediately with some fresh lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
- More information as well as make-ahead and storing tips are in the blog post above!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.