Hi my dears,
As you probably already know, I‘m a big fan of falafels and potatoes. Especially sweet potatoes are one of my favorite potato types because I love their sweet taste. So I had the idea to combine both and made some yummy vegan sweet potato falafel.
These sweet potato falafels are made with just a few ingredients. Everything you need is sweet potatoes, cooked chickpeas, chickpea flour and a few seasonings. So they’re not only vegan and gluten-free but also easy to make.
If you love potatoes as much as I do, you should definitely check the recipes of my ‘crispy baked sweet potato fries‘ or my beloved ‘potato wedges‘ which are at least two times a week on my dinner menue. More favorite recipes of mine are ‘vegan gnocchi‘ and ‘sweetpotato spaghetti‘.
I mean, potatoes are not only so delicious but also very healthy and rich in important nutrients. Especially in combination with good fats, such as olive oil, your body can absorb the essential fat soluble vitamins.
For all the falafel lovers you can also check my easy basic ‘falafel with hummus‘ recipe which is made of cooked chickpeas or this ‘falafel wraps‘ recipe which is made of raw chickpeas for more crispiness. If you prefer it more spicy you can have a look at my ‘harissa falafel‘ recipe or for a creamier variation the ‘cashew falafel‘ recipe. Another great idea is to make ‘Quinoa Chickpea Balls‘ which you can serve in a sauce or ‘Lentil Couscous Patties‘, if you don’t like chickpeas so much.
But I‘m wondering, who doesn’t love chickpeas? In my opinion they’re very yummy and nourishing as they’re so rich in protein and fiber.
But now enough writing. Let‘s start with the recipe:
Sweet Potato Falafel (vegan)Author:
- 17.6 oz (500 g) sweet potatoes unpeeled weight
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 14 oz (400 g) can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup (60 g) chickpea flour
- 1 handful of fresh parsley & coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- oil for baking and brushing
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 356°F top/bottom heat (320°F fan).
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes to 1 cm slices and brush with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place sweet potato slices on it. Bake for about 30 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
- Mash the baked sweet potato slices with all remaining ingredients (except sesame seeds) into a dough. The dough should be easy to form. If it’s too wet, add a bit more flour.
- Form the mixture into balls and flatten them a little.
- Brush your falafel balls with a bit of olive oil and coat with sesame seeds from all sides.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 30 minutes. Flip after 15 minutes.
- Serve your falafel with side dishes and dips of your choice, for example in a buddha bowl with “spicy hummus” or “ajvar dip” or on top of burgers with “hummus” and “guacamole“.
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply