Learn how to make creamy whipped dalgona coffee in just 3 minutes with this easy failproof recipe + video tutorial! It’s incredibly fluffy, airy, so delicious and just the perfect whipped, frothy iced coffee drink that will definitely make your summer extra special!
Whether you have it hot or cold, you’ll crave Dalgona Whipped Coffee every morning and afternoon once you’ve tried it! Serve it on top of your favorite dairy-free milk or even a cold brew coffee latte drink. Top with cocoa, crumbled cookies, biscuits, coffee beans or serve as it is. There are so many ways to serve this amazing coffee beverage and you’ll love how easy it can be made at home without a special machine!
What is dalgona coffee?
Dalgona coffee (Korean: 달고나커피) is a latte drink that is originated in South Korea. It’s made by whipping equal parts of instant coffee, sugar, and hot water, until a fluffy sweet coffee foam forms and then spooning it on top of milk. The name is derived from the Korean sponge candy “dalgona”, though most dalgona coffee doesn’t actually contain dalgona.
TikTok Trend Drink “Whipped Coffee”
Whether you call it “fluffy coffee”, “frothy coffee” or “whipped coffee” – dalgona coffee has become a hit on TikTok during the quarantine period. Many people shared short video tutorials using hashtags like #dalgonacoffee and inspired others to try it, too. Honestly, I’m not sure who was the first but it quickly has become one of the trendiest drinks to make all over social media!
You want to stir it before you drink because the creamy coffee foam is quite intense. But then you’ll have a delicious coffee drink that reminds of Greek Frappé coffee or South American Batido.
How to make dalgona coffee
The general rule is a 1:1:1 ratio of coffee, sugar, and boiling water. I usually use 1 tablespoon of instant coffee, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of boiling water per serving. For more flavor, you can also add in a drop of vanilla extract, caramel sauce, or cocoa powder if you like.
Simply add all those ingredients into a measuring jar or narrow mixing bowl. Then beat, using an electric hand mixer, until fluffy, thick and creamy! It takes around 3 minutes with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. However, you could also mix it by hand with a whisk, fork, chopsticks, or spoon. Just keep in mind that it takes up to 15 minutes with those manual options.
Once you have your whipped coffee, pour your favorite dairy-free milk (hot or cold) into a glass. If you love strong coffee, you can even pour in your favorite latte drink. Just remember that the whipped coffee foam is very strong in flavor so I recommend thinning it out with milk. If you love iced coffee, throw a handful of crushed ice or ice cubes into your glass. Then spoon the dalgona foam on top, stir it through the milk to combine, and enjoy your delightfully creamy iced coffee!
Can I make whipped coffee sugar-free?
The coffee can be whipped on its own but the cream won’t be as stable, airy, and fluffy as traditional dalgona. The sugar is not only used as a sweetener but it also helps the coffee whip up into a foamy, meringue-like structure. So if you make it without sugar, be sure to serve it immediately as it may collapses quickly.
Can I use another type of sugar?
You can try it with other types of granulated sugar, such as raw, brown or coconut sugar. However, note that those sugars are “coarser” and “heavier” so the coffee won’t whip up quite as well as it does with white sugar. I do not recommend using any liquid sweeteners.
How to store dalgona coffee?
The whipped coffee foam is quite stable and will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator. So feel free to make a big batch and refrigerate in an airtight container to save time in the mornings.
Tips for making the best dalgona coffee
- Use instant coffee: This recipe does NOT work with ground coffee.
- Be sure to use boiling water: Because it helps to dissolve both the instant coffee and the sugar more quickly.
- Use white sugar: For the best results (see reasons above).
- Beat with an electric hand mixer: This is in fact the easiest method to get the perfect airy, frothy and fluffy whipped coffee in just 3 minutes!
This dalgona coffee recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make
- So delicious!
- The perfect coffee for breakfast, brunch, or any cozy afternoon!
Here are some vegan recipes that you can serve with dalgona coffee:
- Mini Pancake Cereal
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Vegan Zebra Marble Cake
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Vegan Lemon Cake
- Apple Hand Pies
- Vegan French Toast Roll-Ups
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Best Vegan Brownies
- Apple Blondies with Caramel
If you try this creamy vegan dalgona coffee recipe, please leave a comment and rating on how it turned out! And if you take a photo of your frothy iced coffee drink and share it on Instagram, please tag me with @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love to see your remakes! Enjoy!
Dalgona Coffee (Whipped Coffee)Author:
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder or granulated
- 2 tbsp sugar *see suggestions above
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free milk of your choice
- *Note: Please watch the video for visual instruction!
- Combine the coffee, sugar, and boiling water in a measuring jar or narrow mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer for around 3 minutes, until a fluffy, foamy, and thick coffee foam forms.
- To serve, divide the non-dairy milk (cold or hot) into two glasses. (For iced coffee, add in some ice cubes). Then spoon the whipped coffee on top.
- Stir through the milk to combine and enjoy!
- Be sure to use instant coffee, boiling water, and white sugar for the best results (read details, serving suggestions, optional add-ins, and more tips in my blog post above).
- Nutrition facts are calculated with almond milk.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply