This Crispy Vegan Spring Rolls Recipe is easy to make and taste even better than you’d find at a Chinese restaurant! They are loaded with healthy vegetables and wrapped in a crispy rice paper. It’s super simple but so delicious!
Crispy Vegan Spring Rolls
One of my favorite foods on warm summer days are homemade spring rolls with rainbow vegetable filling! I have made them a couple of times already because they taste so much better than store-bought ones! Honestly, it makes such a huge difference enjoying spring rolls from scratch compared to purchased ones which seem to have almost no filling, haha! To me, the perfect spring rolls, however, must be filled with lots of fresh veggies!
Chinese Spring Rolls with Vegetables
Another great thing about making spring rolls from scratch is that you can vary the ingredients as desired. I prefer Chinese vegetables, such as red cabbage, spring onions, carrots, and smoked tofu. Sometimes I also like to add mushrooms, rice noodles or kimchi as a filling. Also, mungbean sprouts or rice are great options too. You can also fry or steam the vegetables before wrapping them into the rice paper, but I prefer it when the veggies are fresh and crunchy.
To make these vegan Spring Rolls you don’t have to prepare a dough because they’re just made with rice paper which you can find in almost any Asian store, regular supermarkets or online. They’re available in different sizes and shapes but I prefer using frozen 8″ square spring roll wrappers. To thaw, I just put them in the fridge overnight, then they’re ready to use the next day. Alternatively, you could also make wrapper yourself with my dumpling wrapper recipe.
How to prevent wrappers from drying out
Once the vegetables are prepared, you can start folding your spring rolls. Since the wrappers dry out quickly I always cover them with a damp kitchen towel while I make them. Also, the prepared spring rolls should be covered to prevent them from drying out while you make the other rolls, or fry them immediately once they’re stuffed.
Spring Rolls with Veggies & Tofu
I absolutely love when recipes are easy AND delicious! Therefore, I have also kept the preparation of the filling very simple. All you have to do is shred the vegetables very finely and cut the tofu into thin strips. After shredding the cabbage I add a little salt and give it a nice massage with my hands for about 2-3 minutes to soften the cabbage. Then I set it aside for about 10 minutes to soak so you can squeeze it easily after the chilling time.
It is very important that all the ingredients for the filling don’t contain much liquid. So please make sure to squeeze as much water as you can if using high moisture veggies, such as spinach, or the liquid will tear the wrapper.
How to make Spring Rolls
To wrap spring rolls, place a single wrapper on a flat surface so that a corner is facing toward you. Add a stack of the prepared vegetables and tofu at the bottom. Then start rolling it up tightly. Stop when you reach halfway, fold the right and left corner in. Brush a bit of starch/ flour mixture on the final corner, which is a kind of glue, and necessary for sealing and finish rolling.
How to cook crispy vegan spring rolls – Bake or fry?
You can either bake spring rolls in the oven for a healthier cooking method or fry them for a tastier result. When you bake them, just brush the spring rolls with some oil and bake at about 425° F (220°C), flipping halfway. When you fry them, your oil needs to be hot enough, about 365°F (185°C). If you don’t have a cooking thermometer you can also use a chopstick to test. Simply put it inside the hot oil and when you see bubbles, then the oil is ready.
I hope you’ll love these Crispy Vegan Spring Rolls! They are
- Vegan (dairy-free, egg-free)
- Quick & easy to make
- Filled with Veggies
- Can be made with different fillings
- Perfect as an appetizer, snack or main course
- A simple Chinese Recipe!
Can I freeze Chinese Spring Rolls?
These Chinese spring rolls freeze very well! You can simply freeze them on the tray overnight, and then transfer them to a zip-lock bag when they are completely frozen for future use. I usually fry some fresh and freeze the rest, so I can quickly have fresh homemade spring rolls any time!
Looking for more easy vegan snack recipes to try? Here are some of my favorites
- Scallion Pancakes
- Turkish Borek Rolls
- Vegan Burrito Samosas
- Spinach Empanadas
- Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- Spinach Tortillas
Anyway, if you do try my Crispy Vegan Spring Rolls or another recipe I would be happy if you leave a comment and rate it – it’s always helpful to me and other readers! And if you take a picture of your dish and share it on Instagram, please remember to tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka to make sure I won’t miss your post! Have fun cooking! 😊
Crispy Vegan Spring RollsAuthor:
- 20 square spring roll wrappers approx. 8-inch in diameter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (or flour) dissolved in 1-2 tbsp water, for sealing the rolls
- vegetable oil for frying or baking
- a wedge of purple cabbage shredded
- a wedge of white cabbage shredded
- 4,4 oz smoked tofu 125g, cut into thin sticks
- 1 large carrot cut into thin sticks
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
To serve (optional)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp spring onion finely sliced
Prepare Vegetables & Tofu
- Finely shred or cut your vegetables and the tofu. (I prefer using a mandolin slicer).
- Add a little salt to both varieties of shredded cabbage and give it a nice massage, about 2-3 minutes to soften the cabbage. Set aside for about 10 minutes, then squeeze to remove excess liquid. (If using any additional other moist veggies make sure to squeeze as much of the liquid as you can).
- Combine cornflour with a little water in a small bowl to make the a paste for sealing the rolls.
Wrap Spring Rolls
- Place a single wrapper on a flat surface so that a corner is facing toward you. (Cover the remaining wrappers with a damp kitchen towel to prevent them from drying out).
- Place a stack of the prepared vegetables and tofu at the bottom (*as pictured in the step-by-step pics in my blog post above).
- Then start rolling it up tightly. Stop when you reach halfway, fold the right and left corner in. Brush a bit of flour mixture on the final corner and finish rolling. Place under a damp kitchen towel while you roll the rest.
Bake Spring Rolls
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Brush the rolls with a bit of oil and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown, flipping halfway baking time.
Fry Spring Rolls
- Fill a pot with oil until it’s 2-3 inches deep. Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches 365°F (185°C) (or until the oil sizzles when you test with a chopstick). Gently, add the spring rolls one at a time, frying in small batches. Carefully, roll them in the oil so they cook evenly, about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the dipping sauce.
- Serve your crispy spring rolls hot with the dipping sauce or other dips you like!
- Enjoy! 😊
- Please read my blog post for further information about this recipe (f.ex. how to freeze them).
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE!
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.