These easy oven baked potato wedges are golden and crispy on the outside while tender and creamy inside – It’s the perfect homemade appetizer or snack recipe that goes great with creamy guacamole, hummus, vegan mayonnaise, or ketchup!
The Best Crispy Baked Potato Wedges Recipe
I posted this recipe a long time ago, but it’s still one of my favorites! Since the original post included only a single photo and no informative text, it was time for an update. Now I am adding helpful tips, an illustrated step-by-step instruction, and a recipe video so even beginners can make perfect potato wedges! Also, in the old post I used a ready-made potato seasoning, but for this update I decided to mix up pure spices that I always have in my pantry. But there are no rules here – fell free to do it it the way you like! 🙂
A Healthier and Homemade Alternative to traditional fries
If you love French fries but are looking for a low-fat alternative, then these baked potato wedges are for you. This recipe uses only minimal olive oil for baking rather than the usual copious amount used for deep frying. The wedges are garlicky and mildly spicy. I paired this with my Creamy Guacamole Dip and it was absolutely heavenly. I can’t get enough of how the crunchy, salty bites tasted even better with the creamy, indulgent guacamole dip.
Homemade Potato Seasoning
As mentioned earlier, I made use of spices that I regularly keep in my pantry. Tossing the wedges together with paprika powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper gave it a savory and slightly spicy taste. You can also do the same, and use what you have or what you like to season yours. You can use a ready-made potato seasoning or experiment with curry powder, turmeric, onion powder, dried herbs, smoked salt, garlic pepper, or whatever makes your mouth water.
How to make Crispy Potato Wedges
As always, I recommend checking out the recipe video and these step-by-step instructions first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cut and season the potatoes
Start by washing the potatoes. Then pat them very dry and cut into wedges. Now put the potato wedges together with the oil and the seasonings in a bowl and mix well.
Step 2: Bake until golden and crispy!
Place the potato wedges side by side with some space between each other on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown and crispy. While they’re baking, open the oven door occasionally to let the steam out and flip them over. If using an air fryer, bake for 20 minutes, tossing them halfway through.
Vegan dips and sauces
- Indian Raita: this dairy-free yogurt sauce is so cooling and refreshing, perfect for the summer.
- Ajvar Dip: a deliciously spicy Serbian roasted red pepper dip.
- Sweet and Chili Sauce: a spicy sweet-sour sauce done in 10 minutes only.
- Vegan Cheese Sauce: healthier than real cheese with all the amazing flavors.
- Cashew Herb Dip: an herbilicious cream cheese dip.
What type of Potatoes should I use?
I used small mini baby potatoes because they are easier to cut into wedges and have more concentrated flavors. However, you can use russet or Idaho, or any potato with high starch content.
Tips when Making Crispy Potato Wedges
- Make sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper to make sure they do not stick.
- Slice the potatoes as uniformly as you can so they bake evenly. The pictures and video will show you how to do it properly.
- Open the oven door occasionally to let the steam out for a crispier result. Make sure to flip them over halfway through baking.
- Keep them in the oven until they are golden brown and crispy for best results. Depending on the size of the potatoes, the baking time may vary.
- Sprinkle with kosher or sea salt if you prefer them saltier. Or, you can also sprinkle some chopped parsley, mint or other herbs for some freshness.
Can I make potato wedges ahead and freeze them?
Yes, these babies are freezer-friendly! You can make the wedges and store them in freezer bags. If you make a big batch, they should last for months. I also recommend adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch which will help to bind the moisture. You don’t have to defrost them; you can place them in the baking pan and directly to the preheated oven. That way you can always make homemade crispy potato wedges in no time!
There is no reason to NOT make these Crispy Potato Wedges because they are:
- Healthier than classic fried potato snacks
- Crispy on the outside
- Fluffy and tender inside
- Deliciously seasoned
- Easy to make
- Baked to perfection
- Paired with any delightful dips
- Great for snacking!
- Perfect as an appetizer, side dish or main course alongside a fresh salad or in a Buddha Bowl!
More vegan finger food snack recipes to try
Looking for more recipes to serve for your next movie night? Then be sure to check these out:
- Vegan Burrito Samosas
- Turkish Borek
- Vegan Quesadillas
- Scallion Pancakes
- Aloo Paratha
- Sweet Potato Falafel
- BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Burger
- Crispy Polenta Fries
- Indian Samosas
- Asparagus Puff Pastry Bundles
If you try this easy recipe for crispy oven-baked potato wedges, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a picture of your yummy snack and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Enjoy! 🙂
Crispy Baked Potato WedgesAuthor:
To serve (optional)
- 1 recipe guacamole
*Note: Watch the recipe video and check out the step-by-step photos in the blog post above!
- Preheat the oven (or airfryer) to 392° F (200° C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the potatoes, pat them very dry and cut into wedges.
- Put the potato wedges together with the oil and the spices in a bowl and mix well. (If you want the wedges even crispier, you can add 1-2 tbsp cornstarch which helps to bind the moisture).
- Arrange the potato wedges on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each other. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Meanwhile open the oven door occasionally to let the steam out for a crispier result and flip them over. (If using an airfryer, bake for 20 minutes, tossing them halfway through).
- Serve the crispy potato wedges with the dips and enjoy!
- Spices: You can also use other spices like potato seasoning, curry powder, turmeric, onion powder, dried herbs, smoked salt, garlic pepper, etc.
- More helpful tips and information on the recipe are at the top of the blog post!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.