Potato fries ! Who doesn‘t love them? Especially when they‘re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside – then you just can’t get enough of them, can you ?! And the great thing is that you don‘t need much fat, because it all just depends on the right preparation.
Maybe you’ve already tried to make fries yourself. Unfortunately, the result isn’t often crispy, rather soft and flabby. From the perfect and crispy fries like in a restaurant you can usually only continue to dream. As with all seemingly simple recipes, crispy fries can turn different than planned. So I’ll show you today how you can easily make really crispy french fries from fresh potatoes.
3 TIPPS FOR CRUNCHY FRIES (LOW-FAT)
Making crunchy fries yourself isn‘t as complicated as you might think. Honestly, you don‘t even need a recipe for it, just 3 tips or tricks that I’ll tell you now. Here we go!
1.) The right type of potato and the cut
For crispy, thinner French fries, you should preferably use waxy potatoes. I like them most in a wafe shape, because they‘re even more crispier when they’re rippled. You can easily cut them like this with a crinkle cutter knife. Otherwise you can simply cut the potatoes into normal sticks. But if you prefer thick, softer fries, you should use floury potatoes.
2.) Wash potatoes well and dry
It‘s very important that you rinse the potato sticks well under running water until the washing water becomes very clear. Then soak them in a bowl with fresh water for some minutes to remove the rest of the starch. Afterwards you should dry the sticks well with a kitchen paper or towel.
3.) The secret ingredient and the perfect cut
As soon as the potatoes are dry, you can optionally dust them with some corn starch or rice flour, because that absorbs the last moisture and thus provides an extra crispness. Then you can brush the fries with a little bit of oil and season to taste.
Preparation in the oven
If you prefer low-fat fries, you should bake them in the oven. You can easily place the seasoned fries next to each other on a baking sheet. But you should make sure that the fries don’t touch or overlap, so they can get better browned from all sides. Then just put them in the HOT !!! oven. After 10-15 minutes flip them once and after another 15-20 minutes you’ll have super crispy fries.
Preparation in the hot air fryer
Did you already know that you can even prepare low-fat fries in a hot air fryer? This works really great. You can find mine here.
FRENCH FRIES WITH HOMEMADE VEGAN CASHEW-MAYONNAISE
And what would fries be without ketchup and mayo ?! Since mayonnaise from the trade is mostly not vegan, I also have a great recipe for it, how you can make creamy mayonnaise without any animal products just from cashew nuts. With the right blender or food processor it’s done in no time! Other delicious dips would be ‘hummus‘ and ‘guacamole‘, by the way.
If you tried the recipe, I would appreciate a comment. You are also welcome to post a picture on Instagram and tag @biancazapatka, so that I can see your post and leave a comment.
Crispy low-fat French Fries with Cashew Mayonnaise (vegan)
For the fries:
- 1 kg of potatoes preferably waxy
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch or rice flour
- other spices (if desired) f. ex. red paprika powder
- Preheat the oven and baking tray to 220 ° C.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into approx. 1 cm thick sticks. (I prefer cutting them with my Crinkle Cutter knife.)
- First, rinse the sticks well under running water, and then soak them in a large bowl of fresh water for about 10 minutes to remove the starch.
- Then dry the potatoes with a clean kitchen towel or kitchen paper.
- Afterwards mix them with cornmeal / rice flour, oil and spices in a bowl.
- Spread the fries on the pre-heated baking sheet lined with parchment paper, separate them so that they don't overlap and bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Flip them after the first 10-15 minutes.
- Once the fries are golden brown crispy, serve them immediately while they‘re still hot!
Cashew mayonnaise (vegan):
- Soak the cashew nuts for at least 4 hours (or better overnight).
- Discard the soaking water, rinse the nuts again and drain well.
- Then simply blend the soaked cashews with the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy and season (to taste).
- Finally fill the cashew mayonnaise into a jar with a lid and store in the fridge or serve immediately.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN YOUR FAVORITE PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.