Potatoes are probably the most consumed side dish of the German, aren’t they? I mean, there‘s hardly no healthier and nutrient-rich carbohydrate source, like the good old potato. And you don‘t believe how versatile it is! That’s what I want to show you in this great dish – and definitely one of my favorite – around the healthy tuber. Today I would like to urge you to try these ‘smashed potatoes‘ out of the oven! You‘ll certainly love them just as much as I do, and from then on you‘ll perhaps often choose this variant of preparation for potatoes.
Incidentally, smashed potatoes are a variant of baked potatoes and mashed potatoes. They suit perfectly to pesto and roasted pine nuts and with the right spices they unfold a great aroma in the oven! Personally, what I like most about this preparation is that the potatoes are tender on the inside and incredibly crispy on the outside.
I really like these potatoes with my ‘Basil-Avocado Pesto‘ or ‘Garlic-Basil-Parsley-Pesto‘ (without avocado) or just with ‘Guacamole‘, if you don‘t want to use your mixer and want to go fast. But they’re also very delicious when you serve them just pure.
Are you now curious? Then grab a few potatoes and heat the oven! The recipe comes right now.
Please leave me a comment, if you love these Smashed Potatoes as much as I do after trying the the recipe. You are also welcome to post a picture on Instagram and tag me @biancazapatka so that I can see your post and leave a comment with you.
Crispy baked Smashed Potatoes
- 1 kg of potatoes (waxy)
- salt & pepper
- herbs of your choice
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- First, wash the potatoes and cook in a pot of salted water for about 15-20 minutes until tender and you can easily slide in the potatoes with a sharp knife.
- Then drain the cooking water and let the potatoes evaporate until they aren‘t wet anymore.
- Preheat the oven and baking tray to 200°C cirulating heat.
- Brush the baking tray with oil (or line it with parchment paper).
- Place the potatoes next to each other on the tray and gently press them flat with a potato masher.
- Brush them with oil, season with salt, pepper, herbs and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden-brown and crispy.
- Serve the potatoes with pesto and roasted pine nuts or simply pure, either as a side dish or as a main course.
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.