This homemade creamy vegan tomato soup recipe is quick and easy to make in under 20-minutes! It is made with fresh juicy tomatoes, roasted garlic, and onion which makes the soup rich in flavor and so delicious! Since it freezes and reheats very well, it is also perfect to make ahead.
Creamy Homemade Tomato Soup
To me, a creamy dreamy homemade Tomato Soup is quite possibly one of the easiest and most delicious simple vegan soup recipes! It is easy to make with healthy ingredients and perfect if you want a quick appetizer or side for lunch or dinner!
Best Vegan Soup Recipe
Anyway, today’s recipe is truly the best vegan tomato soup I’ve ever had! Fresh garlic and onions are roasted in the pan to bring out their natural flavors before cooked with organic tomatoes. Finally, everything is blended to a creamy soup and topped with coconut yogurt, crispy bread, vegan parmesan, and basil. How does this sound? I‘m very sure that once you tried it, you’ll never buy canned soup again!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
I often serve this creamy tomato soup with a tasty Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich on the side for dipping. Honestly, I totally love the combination of tomatoes, cheese, and crispy bread because it’s like pizza! But there are so many crunchy snacks which are perfect to serve with the soup so I‘ll tag my favorite recipes at the end of this blog post. Anyway, if you prefer to keep it simple, just top with toast or Croutons and fresh herbs!
Quick & Easy Vegan Tomato Soup
Making homemade tomato soup from scratch is really super easy! It requires only a few simple ingredients and comes together in only 5 minutes! Just roast onion and garlic, then let it cook for 10 minutes while you can do anything else before enjoying your perfect quick and easy vegan weeknight meal!
Fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes?
You can use both options. Either canned tomatoes but also fresh garden tomatoes will work! Just make sure to use ripe and red tomatoes as they have the best flavor. Anyway, keep in mind that sometimes canned ones can be even better when tomatoes are not in season where you live. I recommend using high quality organic Italian tomatoes for the best taste!
How to peel fresh tomatoes
When making this soup with fresh tomatoes (rather than canned), you want to use peeled tomatoes because it gives a smoother texture and a sweeter taste. The easiest method is to cut a shallow X on the bottom of each tomato.
Then place the tomatoes in a large pot of boiling water for one minute. Remove the tomatoes and transfer to a bowl of cold ice water for another minute. Now you can easily peel back the skin with a knife or your fingers.
How to make Tomato Soup from scratch
If using fresh tomatoes start to peel and chop them. Then heat a skillet or pan with a little olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until translucent and slightly golden. Add the chopped tomatoes and broth. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are soft.
Once Tomatoes are soft enough to blend, add coconut milk and seasonings like salt, black pepper or smoked paprika to taste. Then transfer to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a blender you can also use a stick immersion hand blender but please be careful not to create a mess! Serve your cozy soup in bowls, sprinkle with vegan parmesan or other toppings you like. Garnish with a drizzle of coconut yogurt or non-dairy cream and fresh basil leaves!
Creamy Tomato Soup with Coconut milk
Traditional tomato soup recipes often contain heavy cream but I used coconut milk because it’s a great dairy-free alternative and you don’t actually taste it! Anyway, if you don’t have coconut milk or cream, soy milk or almond milk will work, too.
This Tomato Soup Recipe is
- Vegan (egg-free, dairy-free)
- Requires less ingredients
- Easy to make
- So delicious!
How to store and freeze Tomato Soup
You can store this tomato soup covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for a couple of months in an airtight container. It reheats very well on the stove or in a microwave but it is also perfect to serve cold. Did you ever try Gazpacho? Well, this is a very popular cold tomato soup dish in Spain and it’s the perfect appetizer in summer!
What to eat with Tomato Soup
As mentioned before a vegan grilled cheese sandwich is my favorite side dish to a tomato soup. But I also like these homemade snacks:
- Aloo Paratha (Stuffed Flatbread)
- Scallion Pancakes
- Turkish Borek
- Homemade Tortillas
- Burrito Samosas
- Crunchwrap Supreme
If you try this Vegan Tomato Soup Recipe be sure to leave a comment and rating letting me know how it turns out! Your feedback is always super helpful for me and other readers who are planning to try the recipe. And if you take a photo of your soup or cheesy sandwich please make sure to tag me on Instagram @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes!
Creamy Tomato SoupAuthor:
To Serve (optional)
- coconut yogurt or another non-dairy yogurt (optional)
- vegan parmesan
- fresh basil
- Prepare the tomatoes, if using fresh tomatoes. Peel and chop them (*as written and shown in the step-by-step pics in my blog post above).
- Heat the oil in a pan or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. When hot add the onions and cook for about 4-5 minutes until starting to turn golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes. (If using whole tomatoes, gently smash them with the back of a wooden spoon).
- Remove from the heat. Add tomato paste, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth (or blend with a stick immersion blender in the pot*).
- Return soup to the pot and stir in coconut milk or non-dairy cream.
- Serve in bowls and top with a swirl of coconut yogurt, vegan parmesan, fresh basil, crispy toast or a grilled cheese sandwich on the side.
- When making this soup with fresh tomatoes (rather than canned), you want to use peeled & chopped. Please read my blogpost for instructions & step-by-step photos "how to peel tomatoes"!
- If using an immersion blender to blend the soup right in the pot, please be careful not to create a mess because the tomatoes squirt easily.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat really well on the stove or in a microwave. You can also freeze it for even longer.
- You can find more information about this recipe in my blogpost.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURES! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.