This creamy roasted sweet corn risotto with zucchini is a healthy vegan recipe that is quick and easy to make with only a few simple ingredients! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and perfect for lunch or dinner, as an entrée or side dish!
Creamy Roasted Corn Risotto
Since my vegan Mexican pasta salad with roasted sweet corn was so delicious, I literally became a little obsessed with that healthy vegetable. I totally love adding it to any kind of meals because it adds so much flavor! Anyway, once I‘ve made this tasty vegan corn risotto, I knew I have to share the recipe on the blog with you!
Besides pasta and gnocchi, creamy risotto is one of my all-time favorite dishes when I want a quick dinner or lunch. Not only because it’s super simple and so yummy but also because you can serve it in so many ways using different ingredients and flavors. I don’t know about you but being creative in the kitchen and trying new recipes is my passion!
How to make Vegan Risotto
This vegan and gluten-free corn and zucchini risotto is made with only a few simple ingredients in less than 30 minutes from start to finish! It’s actually very easy to make and perfect if you want a healthy and satisfying weeknight dinner in a hurry. I‘m pretty sure you’ll love it too!
But before you start make sure to prepare the corn properly. So if using fresh summer-sweet corn you’ll need to cook it for about 5 minutes in the vegetable broth. Then allow to cool before roasting it. Or if using frozen corn make sure to thaw it. And if using pre-cooked corn cobs or canned corn you can skip this step and just heat up the vegetable broth.
The vegan Risotto recipe starts with the onions and garlic sautéed until tender. Next, add arborio rice and white wine. The alcohol burns off so don’t worry, it’s absolutely kid-friendly but it adds a very delicious flavor to the risotto! Well, once the wine cooks down, add warmed vegetable broth one cup at a time and stir as it cooks until “al dente”. Finally, the rice should be cooked through but still firm.
Pan-fried Corn and Zucchini
While your risotto cooks, you can also pan-fry the zucchini and corn kernels in a skillet until crispy and roasted. If you’re a fan of garlic like me you can add additional garlic or onions add this point. Otherwise, just add a little salt which helps to soften the zucchini. But feel free to add more seasonings and spices to your taste!
When your risotto rice is al dente, just add dairy-free vegan parmesan cheese and roasted corn and zucchini! Serve with fresh healthy herbs or other toppings like toasted pine nuts and enjoy! It’s that easy!
Tips for how to cook perfect Risotto
- I recommend you to use warmed vegetable broth so it doesn’t stop the cooking when added to the rice.
- Cook the risotto just at a simmer on low heat instead of a boil so the rice can cook slowly and evenly.
- Try to stir very often while the rice cooks to prevent sticking and burning. Also, I recommend using a heavy-based pot or pan if you have one.
- Cook the rice until just “al dente” to avoid mushy risotto.
This Vegan Corn & Zucchini Risotto is
- Easy to make
- Loaded with vegetables
- Topped with Vegan Parmesan
- & So delicious!
If you’re not a fan of risotto yet, this recipe will quickly change your mind! Honestly, I can’t find words to describe these delicious roasting flavors and that creaminess so you should definitely try it! Anyway, if you’re not into roasted corn and zucchini you could also try my creamy Tomato Risotto, Mushroom Risotto or Pumpkin Risotto because they’re just as tasty!
When you’re done with this vegan risotto but still have leftover corn and zucchini you can use them to make Crispy Corn Zucchini Fritters, Vegan Zucchini Lasagna or a super yummy Chocolate Zucchini Bread for dessert!
If you try this Vegan Corn and Zucchini Risotto Recipe be sure to leave a comment and rating letting me know how it turns out! Your feedback is always super helpful for me and other readers who are planning to try the recipe. And if you take a photo of your creamy rice dish please make sure to tag me on Instagram @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes!
Corn & Zucchini Risotto
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups vegetable broth warmed on the stove, 840-960ml
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 1 onion thinly diced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup arborio rice 185g
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup vegan white wine 60ml, or sub more vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese plus more for serving
Corn & Zucchini
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 2 ears corn shucked, or sub canned/ frozen corn*
- 1 zucchini thinly diced
For Serving (optional)
- fresh scallions chopped
- fresh basil
Prepare the corn
- If using fresh corn from the cobs, place the broth and stripped corn cobs in a pot over high heat (break the cobs in half if needed). Once the broth comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat, remove the cobs and set aside to cool. Cover the broth and keep warm on the stove. (If using canned or frozen corn just heat up the broth and keep warm).
Cook the Risotto
- Heat the oil in a pot or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and sauté another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, continue stirring. Pour in the wine and stir until almost evaporated.
- Now start adding the broth to the rice, a cup at a time. Stir often until it has nearly all been absorbed (the rice should always be sloppy, rather than dry). Then add another cup broth and so on until the mixture is creamy and the rice is cooked through but still firm "al dente", about 25 minutes.
Pan-fry Corn and Zucchini
- While the risotto cooks, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and a pinch of salt and sauté for 2 minutes until slightly tender. Cut the kernels off the pre-cooked corn cobs. Add to the zucchini and sauté until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. (Add additional minced garlic or onions and seasonings if you like).
- Once your risotto is creamy and al dente, stir in the vegan parmesan cheese, roasted zucchini, and corn. Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with sliced scallions and fresh basil or other herbs you like. Serve warm and enjoy!
- If you run out of stock before the risotto is done, warm a little water to use for your final addition.
- To speed up the prep time you can use pre-cooked corn cobs or use 2 cups (350g) canned corn (drained) or frozen corn (thawed). Make sure to dry it before pan-frying.
- Please read my blogpost for additional information about this recipe.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURES! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.