This Creamy Coconut Rice Pudding recipe is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and downright heavenly! Topped with a fresh, saucy, sweet, and mildly tart Raspberry Sauce and garnished with cranberries, red currants, and cinnamon to make this porridge even more special! It’s also perfect for breakfast served with cherry compote.
I love this easy recipe and is near and dear to my heart! It is published in my cookbook “Vegan Foodporn” and my grandmother tried it once and is now a huge fan of this dessert! She never fails to mention it every time we chat on the phone. She claims that it’s the best coconut rice pudding she ever had! I am so inspired by this so I decided to share it here too. But this time, I am making it with raspberry sauce instead of cherry compote.
Why you’ll love this Coconut Rice Pudding with Raspberry Sauce Recipe!
The list is quite extensive if you ask me! Aside from the fact that it is a healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and scrumptious treat, I highly recommend it for the following reasons:
- It’s a novice-friendly, quick, and easy recipe! This 30-minute wonder can be completed with a few simple steps! Make the rice pudding, make the compote, assemble and garnish! It does not get easier than this!
- It is also customizable and adaptable! You can use whatever fruits and berries you have handy for the compote! You can use blueberries, strawberries, mango, peaches, apples, etc.! Whatever tickles your fancy.
- You can serve it warm in bowls for those chilly winter nights, or chilled in jars for a refreshing treat during the summertime!
- This creamy dessert is also healthy enough to be a breakfast porridge! This power-meal will supply enough energy to fuel you throughout the day.
- No refined-sugar used!
What type of rice to use for rice pudding?
I recommend using short-grain rice when making this. Buy the same types used when making Risotto or opt for packed pudding rice if it’s available in your grocery store. This will give you that creamy and chewy porridge consistency! Carnaroli, Arborio, and Vialone are the best options.
If you cannot find any of these, you can also use sticky rice, also called glutinous rice. However, make sure that you follow the package instruction when using it. Usually, it needs to be soaked before cooking, so the preparation can be a bit more time-consuming.
I do not recommend using long-grain rice as it will take longer to cook and won’t create the same creamy pudding consistency.
How to make Coconut Rice Pudding
As mentioned before this recipe is super simple and can be done in under 30 minutes! Anyway, I recommend checking out the recipe video and visual step-by-step instruction first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Cook the rice pudding.
Start by adding the rice, water, and coconut milk to a pot and bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for about 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy. Stir in agave syrup and desiccated coconut to taste.
Step 2: Make the raspberry sauce.
While the rice is cooking, make the raspberry sauce as instructed in the recipe card below. However, you can also make it ahead and store it in a sealed jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. It makes also a great topping for waffles, pancakes, brownies, and more vegan desserts!
Step 3: Garnish and enjoy!
Once your creamy coconut rice pudding is done, serve it with raspberry compote in bowls or jars and garnish with your favorite fresh fruit and cinnamon as desired. Enjoy warm or cold!
Ingredient notes and alternatives
Vegan Coconut Rice Pudding
- Coconut milk: You can use full-fat coconut milk for a richer flavor and consistency, but light coconut milk is also fine. If you do not have enough coconut milk, you can mix in a bit of soy, cashew, or almond milk when in a pinch.
- Short-grain rice: Find more information in the text above -> “What type of rice to use?”
- Agave syrup: You can also use maple syrup, coconut nectar, brown rice syrup, date syrup, or whatever sweetener you desire.
- Desiccated coconut: adds a crunchy texture to the dish! If you can’t find any, you can use ground almonds or hazelnuts or crushed pistachios, pecans, or walnuts for a more nutty flavor.
- Raspberries: use any fruits or berries that are in season! Try my Apple Cinnamon Filling used for my Apple Turnover recipe for the perfect winter treat! For summertime, try making Coconut Mango Sticky Rice with fresh, ripe yellow mangoes. It is so good!
- Water: or raspberry juice or other fruit juice you fancy.
- Cornstarch: also called cornflour to thicken the mixture. However, you could also try arrowroot or tapioca starch as an option.
- Lemon: adds a pop of zest! Some alternatives are orange, grapefruit, or lime.
- Vanilla extract: or vanilla bean for flavor.
- Sugar or syrup: Use your favorite sweetener to sweeten the sauce.
- Cranberries and Red currants: for garnishing. You can also use vegan whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes, raisins, or just a sprinkling of cinnamon and brown sugar if you prefer the classic way.
Tips when making Coconut Rice Pudding with Raspberry Compote
- Unlike cooking regular rice where you leave it to cook on its own, cooking short-grain rice requires constant stirring. This is to prevent the bottom from burning especially as it absorbs more liquid.
- Use low heat when cooking until the rice becomes tender and the liquid is reduced. It will thicken as it cools so make sure to not overcook it.
- If you want to get creative, you can add more spices to your compote like cinnamon, nutmeg, or mint!
This Vegan Coconut Rice Pudding Recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Topped with fruity raspberry sauce
- Can be served warm or chilled
- The perfect dessert or breakfast for kids and adults alike!
More easy vegan desserts to try:
Looking for more breakfast or dessert recipes to try? Be sure to check out the following:
- Coconut Rice Pudding Cake
- The Best Vegan Banana Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Brioche Buns
- Apple Stuffed Buns
- Chocolate Granola
- Granola Bars
- Vegan Raffaello Coconut Balls
- Vegan Snickers
- Ferrero Rocher Truffles
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Apple Turnovers
- Vegan Almond Horns
If you try this creamy vegan coconut rice pudding recipe, please leave me a comment and rating because I’d love to hear your feedback! And if you take a photo of your porridge and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka to be sure I won’t miss your post! Enjoy! 😊
Coconut Rice Pudding with Raspberry SauceAuthor:
*Note: Check out the recipe video and step-by-step photos in the blog post above!
- Add the rice, water, and coconut milk to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over low heat for about 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy. Stir in agave syrup and desiccated coconut to taste.
- While the rice is cooking, make the raspberry compote. In a small cup, whisk 2-3 tbsp of the water and the cornstarch until well combined. Set aside.
- Add the raspberries and the rest of the water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook until the raspberries are soft and mash them with a fork. Then stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil for a second time until thickened to desired consistency (Note: it will thicken more as it cools). Add vanilla extract, a squeeze of lemon juice, and sugar to taste.
- Serve your creamy rice pudding in bowls or jars and layer it with raspberry compote. Garnish with your favorite fresh fruits and cinnamon as desired.
- Enjoy warm or cold!
- You can also try the Apple Cinnamon Filling used for my Apple Turnover recipe for the topping!
- Please read my blog post for substitutes, helpful tips, and further information on this recipe.
- Nutrition information is calculated for 1 Serving of 4, including raspberry sauce.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.