A simple recipe for perfect Vegan Chocolate Crêpes without eggs, dairy milk and butter – These thin pancakes are easy to make with just a few ingredients (optional gluten-free) and can be filled with chocolate, bananas or other fruits as desired. Perfect for breakfast or as a dessert!
The best recipe for Vegan Chocolate Crêpes
Whether in chocolate or vanilla flavor – It’s really super easy to make vegan crêpes yourself! You just need a few simple ingredients and less than 1 minute to whip up the batter.
Even though these thin pancakes are eggless and dairy-free, they taste as good as the classic! So no one will notice that these crêpes are vegan and healthier than the ones from the restaurant.
Healthy Vegan Pancakes
When I’m craving something sweet for breakfast, I often serve vegan crêpes, pancakes or waffles. Therefore, I like to keep the batter healthier, using no fat and no white sugar. This way you don’t have to skimp on the filling and toppings either, as I love my crêpes especially with chocolate hazelnut spread (vegan Nutella) and banana.
Spreads and toppings for crêpes
If you’ve been following me on Instagram for a while, you know that I’ve made and photographed vegan crêpes countless times and in different variations. So in this post, I’ve selected a small collection of my favorite serving suggestions to inspire you.
Vegan crêpes are not only delicious with chocolate cream, but also with fruit compote, jam, berries, peanut butter or other nut butters and many more spreads!
If you like to make thin vanilla pancakes, feel free to try my classic vegan crêpes recipe.
Ingredients for chocolate crêpes roll-ups with Nutella and banana
To make fluffy vegan chocolate crêpes, you basically only need 3 main ingredients and a few more optional ingredients. These are:
- Flour: all-purpose or spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- Cocoa: regular unsweetened cocoa
- Plant milk: such as soy, almond, or oat milk.
- Sparkling water: or more plant milk + ½ tsp baking powder
- Maple syrup: or other syrup or sugar to taste
- Cinnamon: or vanilla
- Salt: just a pinch
- Coconut oil: or any other vegetable oil for frying
- Filling & Topping (optional): vegan Nutella, bananas, desiccated coconut, pomegranate seeds.
How to make perfect vegan chocolate crêpes
As always, I recommend checking out these step-by-step instructions first. Then you’ll find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Make the pancake batter
First, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, pinch of salt, plant milk, sparkling water and maple syrup until you have a smooth batter.
Tip: If you like the batter sweeter, feel free to add more syrup or sugar.
Step 2: Cook crêpes
Now heat some coconut oil on a crêpes maker or in a shallow non-stick pan on high heat. Pour some batter into the pan and spread into a large round pancake. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, then flip the pancake and cook for about another minute.
Tip: Once bubbles form on the surface and the pancake no longer sticks to the pan, it can be flipped easily.
Step 3: Add toppings and serve
To make crêpe rolls, simply spread some chocolate cream on top. Then place a banana on top and wrap it up. Cut the roll-ups in half and stack as desired. Finally, drizzle with some melted chocolate and garnish with desiccated coconut, pomegranate seeds or other fresh seasonal fruit as desired.
How can I store crêpes?
You can place the cooked chocolate crêpes on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. When ready to serve, simply take them out and heat them briefly in the microwave or pan. Then add your favorite spreads and enjoy!
Can I make crêpes batter ahead?
While classic crêpes batter with eggs can be made ahead and stored overnight in the refrigerator, vegan batter should be used immediately, as the carbon dioxide in the sparkling water will escape over time or the baking powder will lose its effect. This is basically not bad, but the crêpes will be less fluffy. In the traditional version, the eggs provide the fluffier texture.
These chocolate pancakes are:
- Gluten-free possible
- Quick and easy to make
- Naturally sweetened
- Refined sugar-free
- Very delicious
- Perfect for breakfast, as a dessert or snack in between meals!
More sweet vegan breakfast recipes to try
- French Toast Roll-Ups
- Pancake Cereal
- Baked Oats
- Blueberry Scones
- Chocolate Pancakes
- Granola Bars
- Chocolate Granola
- Chocolate Brioche Buns
- Banana Bread
- Date Nut Bread
If you try this easy vegan chocolate crêpes recipe, feel free to leave me a comment and a star rating! And if you take a photo of your pancakes and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I would love to see your result! Enjoy this recipe! 😊
Vegan Chocolate Crêpes (Chocolate Pancakes)Author:
You do not have a fitting cake pan at hand right now? Try my Cake Pan Conversion Calculator!
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose or spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 1.5 tbsp (8 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) plant milk e.g. soy, almond, or oat milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sparkling water or more plant milk + ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or another vegetable oil for frying
- 2-3 tbsp chocolate spread or homemade vegan Nutella
- 3-4 bananas
- desiccated coconut
- pomegranate seeds
*Note: Check out the recipe video + step-by-step instructions above!
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, pinch of salt, plant milk, sparkling water and maple syrup until just combined (add a little more liquid if needed).
- Heat a little coconut oil on a crêpes maker or in a shallow non-stick pan on high heat. Depending on the size you want, pour about ¼ or ⅓ of the batter into the pan and spread into a large round pancake. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until bubbles form on the surface and it no longer sticks to the pan. Then flip the pancake and cook for about another minute. Roll it up and place on a plate while you cook the rest of the pancakes.
- Spread the crêpes in the middle with vegan Nutella. Then place a banana on top and wrap the pancake around the banana.
- Cut the crêpes roll-ups in half and stack them up as desired. Drizzle with a little melted chocolate and garnish with desiccated coconut, pomegranate seeds or other fresh seasonal fruit as desired.
- I usually use regular all-purpose or light spelt flour, but you can also use a gluten-free flour blend.
- You don't need to add any oil/fat and very little syrup/sugar to the pancake batter, as the chocolate banana filling is sweet and rich enough. However, if you like the batter sweeter, feel free to add more sweetness.
- You can either buy your favorite vegan chocolate hazelnut spread in the supermarket or make it yourself using my homemade vegan Nutella recipe.
- More information and tips on this recipe, including tips on storing and making ahead, are mentioned in the blog post above!
- This recipe was first published on 02/10/17.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.