This quick and easy vegan blueberry banana smoothie recipe comes together in just 1 minute and contains plenty of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, making it to the perfect healthy breakfast shake or simple snack during the day! The shake is low in calories, low in fat, and can be made with any fresh or frozen berries so it’s also a great refreshing drink for warm summer days!
Quick and easy blueberry smoothie recipe
Enjoying a delicious creamy iced smoothie is one of the best things to do against the heat on a warm summer day! And since blueberries are the number one of homegrown superfoods, and can be easily found frozen all year round, this simple blueberry smoothie is one of my all-time favorite drinks!
Blueberries are not only super healthy, low in calories, and a real superfood, but also wonderfully juicy, fruity, and totally delicious. They contain a lot of vitamin C, which is important for a strong immune system and supports the absorption of iron. Furthermore, they contain a lot of potassium, calcium, zinc, folic acid, and a lot of other vitamins and minerals. On top of that, blueberries are rich in fiber and are even said to help you lose weight!
The perfect post-workout shake
In addition to blueberries, this smoothie also contains bananas, because they‘re not only rich in magnesium and potassium, but they also make the drink wonderfully creamy and give your body energy! That being said this shake contains many vitamins and nutrients which are important for muscle regeneration, so the blueberry smoothie is also a great snack after your workout. Feel free to add your favorite vegan protein powder to turn this recipe into a high-protein post-workout shake.
Of course, this recipe also works perfectly with all other berries, such as blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc. Instead of the banana, you can also use apple sauce or another fruit puree – there are so many options so get creative!
Frozen or fresh fruit?
If I have some overripe bananas or leftover fresh blueberries, I usually freeze them so I can make a quick nice cream, shake, or smoothie at any time. Actually, frozen fruit makes the drink wonderfully thick and creamy, similar to a slush – and that’s the way I like it best! For the perfect consistency, I like to use frozen blueberries OR frozen bananas for this blueberry smoothie recipe. That way it’s also easier to blend.
Feel free to freeze homegrown fresh blueberries if you have any or buy them frozen at a grocery store. Anyway, this recipe works equally well with only fresh fruit, so both options, fresh or frozen, will do. If you want your fresh blueberry smoothie to be thicker, you could also add some gluten-free oats or omega-3 rich flax or chia seeds. But thanks to the dairy-free yogurt, I personally find it is perfectly creamy and thick as it is.
Blueberry Ice Shake Tip: If you like, you could also turn this blueberry banana smoothie into a rich ice cream shake dessert. Simply replace the non-dairy yogurt with vanilla ice cream. Yum!
How to make Vegan Blueberry Smoothie
For this smoothie recipe, you only need blueberries, bananas, vegan vanilla yogurt, and dairy-free milk or fruit juice. Once you have prepared and measured out the ingredients, simply blend them in a blender until you have a creamy smoothie or slush.
The banana adds enough natural sweetness to the smoothie, however, feel free to sweeten it with agave syrup, maple syrup or any other sweetener of your choice, if you desire. Serve your iced drink immediately and enjoy the warm summer day!
This blueberry smoothie recipe is:
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Quick and easy to make
- Low in calories
- Refined sugar-free
- Contains no preservatives
- Perfect to make ahead
- Super delicious!
- Gives your body vitamins, minerals, and energy for the day!
More vegan breakfast recipes to try:
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Pancake Cereal (Vegan Mini Pancakes)
- Chocolate Banana Pancakes
- Vegan French Toast
- Apple Pie Roll-Ups
- Vegan Crepes
- Easy Vegan Waffles
- The Best Vegan Omelet
- Homemade Bagels
- Vegan Egg Salad Breakfast Burritos
If you try this blueberry banana smoothie recipe, please leave a comment and a rating if you liked it! And if you take a picture of your breakfast shake and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka, because I love to see your remakes! Enjoy!
- 1 ripe banana approx. 120 g, or sub apple sauce or other fruit purée
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries
- ½ cup vanilla soy yogurt or another dairy-free yogurt
- ½ cup cold soy milk or other dairy-free milk or fruit juice
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or other syrup, optional to taste
- Simply put all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy. Taste and adjust flavors, adding a bit of agave syrup as desired.
- Berries/Fruit: This recipe works with any berries, like blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc. Instead of the banana, you can also use apple sauce or another fruit puree - get creative!
- Frozen or fresh fruit? Frozen fruit makes the drink wonderfully thick and creamy, similar to a slush. But this recipe works equally well with fresh fruit. If you want the smoothie to be thicker, you could also add some oats or omega-3 rich flax or chia seeds.
- Milk/Yogurt: I use soy milk and soy yogurt because it is rich in plant-based protein, but you can use any dairy-free milk and yogurt.
- Post-Workout-Shake: Add your favorite vegan protein powder for additional protein.
- Blueberry shake: You could also turn this blueberry smoothie into a rich ice cream shake dessert. Simply replace the yogurt with vanilla ice cream.
- More information about the recipe can be found in the blog post above.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.