This best Vegan Matcha Green Tea Latte recipe is a great invigorating change to the traditional Latte Macchiato, Frappuccino, Cappuccino, or any traditional coffee drink. It is quick and easy to prepare without much effort and can be served hot or cold!
Trying to cut back on sweet drinks or expensive lattes? Then swap out your traditional latte for this vegan matcha latte. It’s packed with antioxidants and you can make this in just 5 minutes at home! If you love Starbucks Matcha Frappuccino or generally matcha green tea drinks, then once you’ve made this latte, it will quickly become your new favorite drink!
Matcha latte vs. Frappuccino
Depending on your preference, you can serve this matcha green tea as a latte or frappuccino. While latte is served hot and usually contains more steamed milk and less milk foam, frappuccino is usually served as a cold and sweeter drink.
What is matcha?
Matcha which literally means “powdered tea” is a finely ground powder made of specially grown and processed green tea leaves. Unlike traditional tea, with matcha, you basically consume the whole leaves which give you more antioxidants and health benefits.
It’s very popular in Japan where they have even developed a ritual of serving the tea and also invented new ways to use matcha for drinks, desserts, and more.
Matcha health benefits
One of the reasons why matcha green tea or matcha itself is so popular is because of its health benefits. Here are more reasons why you should consider drinking matcha. It’s:
- High in antioxidants. Green teas are rich in catechin which is a type of natural phenol, and antioxidants.
- Increase brain function. Some research found that matcha can improve attention, reaction time, and memory.
- Good for the liver. The liver is an important part of our body because it flushes out toxins and process nutrients. Now some studies noted that matcha may help protect the liver.
- Rich in vitamin C, fiber, and other vital nutrients. While fiber is vital in maintaining good gut health and digestion, vitamins and nutrients are good for the body. They boost the immune system which helps fight off viruses.
- Promotes weight loss. Green tea helps in speeding up metabolism thus promoting the fat-burning abilities of the body.
How to make Vegan Matcha Latte
Looking for the perfect drink for the cold weather or do you want a cup of goodness that will brighten up your day? Here’s how! The full recipe with exact measurements can be found at the bottom of this post. Also, please be sure to watch the recipe video for visual instruction.
Step 1: First, to a cup or a latte tea glass, add the matcha powder. Then pour in hot water and stir with a bamboo whisk until it has completely dissolved. You can also stir in some syrup if you prefer your drink sweeter.
Step 2: Next, warm your dairy-free milk in a saucepan or microwave. Froth it up as desired using a milk frother.
Step 3: Lastly, pour the warm plant milk into the cup or tea glass with the Matcha mixture and spoon the remaining foam on top. Give it a stir and enjoy with oreo cookies!
Tip: If you want a caffeine boost, you might also enjoy my Dalgona Coffee recipe!
Tips for making the Best Matcha Latte
Impress your family or friends by making the best vegan green tea matcha latte or frappuccino. Here are some useful tips you can use for this recipe:
- Use a bamboo whisk – or also known as “chasen”. This is traditionally used to dissolve the matcha powder without any clumps.
- Get the best matcha. Since not all matcha powders are processed the same way, I recommend reading reviews and then opt for the best product.
- Use less sugar or no sugar at all. You can easily add any sweetener to taste or even leave it out completely.
- Consume immediately. Homemade Matcha drinks don’t have a long shelf life so make sure to consume your latte immediately once you’ve whipped it up. Furthermore, be sure to use up your opened Matcha powder within two months (or within the date stated on the package) to preserve the color as well as the flavor and nutrients.
- Pair with your favorite plant milk. I like to use soy or coconut milk, but you can also use almond, oat, cashew, or any non-dairy milk of your choice. Vanilla flavored plant milk also goes well with matcha, you should definitely try it! If you want your latte to be creamier, stir in a spoon of any nut butter variety that you like. You can even try adding cinnamon or other seasonings or flavors – Get creative!
Matcha Latte Recipe Variations
I love recipes that I can change up a bit. So for this, here are some variations that you might enjoy. Feel free to add:
- Maca root powder. This has an earthy and nutty taste and will complement the taste of your matcha.
- Protein. Add your favorite vegan protein powder to boost your drink with protein.
- Medjool dates. This will add natural sweetness to your tea if you don’t want to add sugar or syrup. You can simply puree the dates separately and then add it to your drink or simply prepare your Matcha Latte straight in a blender.
- Vanilla syrup. Add vanilla syrup to make a copycat Starbucks matcha latte.
- Iced Latte. If you want to serve the Matcha latte cold on ice, simply use cold milk and put some ice cubes into your glass before serving.
This Best Vegan Matcha Latte Recipe is:
- Quick and easy to make
- Super healthy
- Dairy-free (lactose-free)
- Can be served hot or cold
- The perfect drink for breakfast or a cozy afternoon!
More drinks you might also like:
Looking for more cold or warm drink recipes to try? Be sure to check out the following:
- Mango Lassi
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Watermelon Margarita
- Dalgona Coffee
- … or what about a no-bake matcha cheesecake pie for dessert?
If you try this best vegan matcha latte recipe, please leave me a comment and rating because I’d love to hear your feedback! And if you take a photo of your healthy green tea drink and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka to be sure I won’t miss your post! 😊
Vegan Matcha LatteAuthor:
- ½-1 tsp Matcha powder depending on your desired intensity
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) hot water 176°F (80°C)
- ¾ cup (180 ml) non-dairy milk *see notes
- 2 tsp agave syrup or another sweetener, optional to taste
*Note: Be sure to watch the recipe video for visual instruction!
- Add the Matcha powder into a cup or a latte tea glass. Pour in hot water and stir with a bamboo whisk until the powder has completely dissolved. Then optionally stir in sugar or syrup to taste. (You could also use a blender to make this).
- Heat the non-dairy milk in a saucepan or microwave and froth it up as desired using a milk frother. (Feel free to watch the recipe video for visual instruction).
- Finally, pour the warm plant milk into the cup (or latte tea glass) of the Matcha mixture and spoon the remaining foam on top. Give it a stir and enjoy!
- Temperature: Matcha should not be brewed too hot or it will taste bitter. A water temperature of 176°F (80°C) is ideal!
- Iced Latte: If you want to serve the Matcha latte cold on ice, simply use cold milk and put some ice cubes into your glass before serving.
- Syrup: The additional sweetness can be adjusted depending on the milk variety you use and your personal taste. Use vanilla flavored milk or add vanilla syrup to make a copycat Starbucks matcha latte.
- Please read my blog post for helpful tips, recipe variations, and further information.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.
Leave a Reply