Learn how to make the best homemade hummus with this incredibly delicious, quick and easy recipe! This creamy oriental Middle Eastern chickpea dip is healthy, flavorful, oil-free, and a great vegan basic recipe that can be modified in a variety of ways!
The Best Hummus Recipe (Creamy, Simple, Perfect)
A quick and easy hummus recipe made with simple ingredients is something you should always have on hand! Along with guacamole, cashew dip, and vegan tzatziki, hummus is definitely one of my favorites! Made with chickpeas, tahini, cumin, lemon juice and a little salt, it’s ready in no time!
When I first started getting into vegan eating a few years ago, I had falafel with hummus almost every day. Either in a Buddha Bowl or with potato wedges and a fresh salad – That way I was always satisfied and had enough nutrients and protein!
In the meantime, of course, I have become a bit more creative when it comes to vegan dishes. However, I still love the simple classic recipes as much as back then! Therefore, it was now time to update my old recipe.
In addition to an illustrated step-by-step tutorial as well as a recipe video, I’ve also included some tips and ideas on how to change the flavor of your hummus and how to serve it.
What ingredients do you need to make hummus from scratch?
- Chickpeas: I use canned chickpeas, but you can also use dried ones and soak them overnight before cooking according to package directions.
- Tahini: Make sure to use good quality 100% sesame paste.
- Garlic: For flavor.
- Cumin: Gives the hummus its typical oriental flavor.
- Salt: For seasoning.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed for the perfect acidity and a longer shelf life.
- Water: Makes the hummus smooth, creamy, fluffy and spreadable.
- Olive oil: The hummus itself is oil-free, but a drizzle of good olive oil on top before serving makes it even better.
- Sesame seeds and chickpeas: for decorating.
- Mint: for a hint of freshness.
How to make the best hummus from scratch – it’s that easy!
Feel free to watch the recipe video and check out this step-by-step instruction first. Then you can find the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Blend all ingredients until creamy.
Simply add the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, cumin, salt, lemon juice and water to a food processor or blender and blend until creamy. You can adjust the amount of water as needed, depending on how creamy you want the hummus.
Step 2: Garnish and serve!
Now add the hummus into a bowl. Drizzle with some olive oil and decorate with chickpeas, paprika powder, sesame seeds and mint. Serve with naan bread or other side dishes as a dip or spread.
If you want more variety in your dip bowl, you can easily modify this basic hummus recipe! For example, you could add different vegetable purees like roasted peppers, tomatoes, squash, beets, or even avocado. Fresh herbs or green leafy vegetables like parsley, basil, mint, spinach, arugula or wild garlic also give the hummus a new twist. Of course, you can also experiment with the spices – There are endless possibilities here!
How to store hummus? How long does it last?
You can store your homemade hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Then take your dip out of the refrigerator around 30 minutes before serving.
Can you freeze Hummus?
Yes! You can freeze leftover hummus for up to 6 months. When you want to eat it, simply let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
What can you eat with hummus?
A bowl of hummus with fresh pita bread, olives, veggies and falafel is simply classic and a popular appetizer! However, you can serve your hummus not only as a dip, but also as a spread on bagels, bread, sandwiches or tortillas to make wraps. I even like hummus on pasta or use it instead of mayonnaise for various salads.
This best homemade hummus recipe is:
- Quick and easy
- Requires just a few ingredients
- Totally delicious!
- Tastes just like the original from Israel!
More Easy Vegan Recipes for Dips, Dressings and Co to try:
- Vegan Tzatziki
- Creamy Guacamole
- Raita Dip (Indian Yogurt Sauce)
- Cashew Dip
- The Best Peanut Sauce
- Ajvar (Paprika Dip)
- Herb dip
- Cashew Mayonnaise (Vegan Aioli)
- Vegan Yogurt Dressing
- Sweet chili Sauce
- Barbecue Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce Dressing
If you try this easy hummus recipe, feel free to leave a comment and a star rating! And if you take a picture of your chickpea dip and share it on Instagram, please tag me @biancazapatka and use the hashtag #biancazapatka because I love seeing your remakes! Enjoy! 🙂
Best Homemade Hummus RecipeAuthor:
*Note: Feel free to watch the recipe video above!
- Place chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, and lemon juice and water in a food processor or blender and blend until creamy (or use an immersion stick blender). Adjust the amount of water as needed, depending on how creamy you want the hummus.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and garnish with chickpeas, paprika powder, sesame seeds and mint.
- Step-by-step photos + a recipe video and lots of tips and ideas regarding recipe variations, storing & freezing instructions as well as serving suggestions are at the top of the blog post!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST, YOU CAN FIND ME HERE AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE, IF YOU LIKE! 🙂
©Bianca Zapatka | All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe. More info here. Thank you for supporting biancazapatka.com!
Disclosure for affiliate links with asterisk (*):
This page may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. You can find more information here.